stress!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by dojodirectory.co.uk, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. Maybe the following might help some poor soul troubleshoot their VOIP setup.

    At the office
    belkin router / budgetone 102 / sipgate account
    today i picked up the phone in my office to find there was no dial tone.
    needless to say, i couldnt make a call.
    tried my puter and internet access was fine.
    messed round for AGES and then i tried something that worked.
    my belkin 7630 adsl modem is at 192.168.1.1 and my phone is on 192.168.1.52
    the DMZ is set to 192.168.1.52 and it has been working fine since i bought
    the phone.
    I changed the DMZ to 192.168.1.51 (i.e. something other than it was) and
    applied it.. still no dial tone.. changed it back to .52 and dial tone
    appeared.
    I tried dial tone immediately before and after this course of action so i
    know this is what fixed it.
    the solution took me at least an hour of checkin / messin before i found it.
    i dont think my router is faulty.. all i do know is this voip stuff is
    stressin me.

    At Home
    Linksys Router / Budgetone 102 / voiptalk account
    No dial tone when on static ip
    yes dial tone when on DHCP with same settings
    why? stress!

    comments welcome.

    dojodirectory.co.uk, Jul 2, 2005

  2. In article <%oBxe.16229$>,
    "dojodirectory.co.uk" <> writes:

    > At Home
    > Linksys Router / Budgetone 102 / voiptalk account
    > No dial tone when on static ip
    > yes dial tone when on DHCP with same settings
    > why? stress!

    When you change to static IP, are you still configuring the phone/ATA
    through DHCP or are you disabling DHCP? If disabled DHCP, then it
    may be that you are missing a number of the other parameters DHCP
    typically configures on devices, such as netmask, gateway, domain
    name, DNS servers, etc.

    My ATA has a static IP, but I still configure it with DHCP since
    that's an easy way of making sure it gets all the other configuration
    info correctly. If I change something such as the DNS server, I
    won't have to remember to update the ATA too (maybe just power cycle
    it). The static IP for it is configured into the DHCP server, based
    on its ethernet address.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Jul 3, 2005

  3. > info correctly. If I change something such as the DNS server, I
    > won't have to remember to update the ATA too (maybe just power cycle
    > it). The static IP for it is configured into the DHCP server, based
    > on its ethernet address.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel

    ip address, default gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers all set to same as
    would be by dhcp.

    the reason i would prefer to use static ip is because in these cheap routers
    there is no dhcp reservations option so you could use your ip address which
    could make your service go down if you are relying on the DMZ setting
    pointing to the phones IP

    dojodirectory.co.uk, Jul 3, 2005