Street shooter lens from Pentax for digital SLR's (40mm f/2.8)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    Frank Vuotto Guest

    Frank Vuotto, Dec 16, 2004

  3. In article <gM1wd.94406$>, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04121501pentax_pancakelens.asp
    > no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.
    >
    > Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens

    I think Pentax had the first one, made for the ME and MX in the
    seventies (great idea). I actually looked it up on eBay to go with the
    Ds which I was considering. But it was of course a manual focus lens,
    and it turned out the reviews of its fidelity were mixed.

    I think this new one, along with their compact DSLR, is a very
    appealing idea.

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Alan Browne

    JohnR Guest

    "Frank Vuotto" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:11:41 -0500, Alan Browne
    > >
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/pentax_40mmlens.gif
    > >
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04121501pentax_pancakelens.asp
    > >no price mentioned. Digital SLR's only.
    > >
    > >Reminiscent of the Nikon 45 f/2.8 "Pancake" lens (whice used to be $280

    or so at
    > >B&H).
    > >

    > In the '60's I had a very similar looking Pentax lens (forget the
    > details tho)
    >

    > Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
    > @/

    Pentax had the very thin 40mm f/2.8 in production from 1976-1984. It was
    just shy of 3/4 of in inch long! I'm not aware of an earlier one, but I can
    be wrong. Some of the slower 50mm lenses were pretty small, but not as small
    as this.
    John
    JohnR, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Dave Guest

    Nice - but the joy of the original 40mm pancake was that it was 40mm -
    not 61mm. The field of view was perfect for a "set and forget" street
    lens.
    Dave, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Jeremy Guest

    "JohnR" <> wrote in message

    > Pentax had the very thin 40mm f/2.8 in production from 1976-1984. It was
    > just shy of 3/4 of in inch long! I'm not aware of an earlier one, but I

    can
    > be wrong. Some of the slower 50mm lenses were pretty small, but not as

    small
    > as this.
    > John

    It was a Tessar design, based on a Carl Zeiss original. Carl Zeiss still
    offers that lens in the Contax/Yashica mount. Their advertising headline
    reads something like, "The Eagle Eye of your camera . . ."

    My understanding of the Tessar design is that it is not as well corrected as
    the double-gauss ("Planar") design, and thus has more distortion than most
    standard normal lenses (virtually all of which are based on the Zeiss Planar
    design which is now over 100 years old).

    So one trades small size of the "pancake" lens for a bit less overall
    fidelity. The pancake lens' faults would be more visible on static subjects
    like architectural themes, as opposed to the more "in your face" street
    style of photography.

    I read an article just the other day that noted that the pancake lens is
    readily available on eBay, despite sellers often characterizing it as a
    "rare" lens. When I read the word "rare" in an item's description, I tend
    to keep one hand on my wallet . . . :)
    Jeremy, Dec 16, 2004
  7. In article <5Dhwd.1316$>, Jeremy
    <> wrote:
    > My understanding of the Tessar design is that it is not as well corrected as
    > the double-gauss ("Planar") design,

    Yes. Nobody has made a good 2.0 Tessar.

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 16, 2004
  8. I had Olympus's 40/2 "pancake" lens for a while and resold it on eBay at a
    large profit. It was probably the worst lens in the Zuiko line, and thus,
    for that reason, rare!

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    Deep Reset Guest