    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Solved it. was: Re: street photography and shutter lag

    In article <101220042216542717%>,
    Eolake Stobblehouse <> wrote:

    > Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
    > the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
    > more or less like manual focus.

    Ooops, I was too impatient there. I have now found out from
    megapixel.net that those cameras do indeed have manual focus. Kewl.

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
    > Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
    > the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
    > more or less like manual focus.

    The 8400 has a manual focus mode, although I've never had occasion to use
    it. I would imagine it would do what you want. Perhaps you could
    download the manual to check. This site has the 5400 manual:
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/

    The only fixed-focus I've done has been at infinity - from an aircraft -
    using the infinity setting.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Re: Solved it. was: Re: street photography and shutter lag

    Eolake Stobblehouse <> writes:

    > In article <101220042216542717%>,
    > Eolake Stobblehouse <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
    > > the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
    > > more or less like manual focus.

    > Ooops, I was too impatient there. I have now found out from
    > megapixel.net that those cameras do indeed have manual focus. Kewl.

    On some cameras, there are options typically called MyModes that allow you to
    store common settings, and then you can chose that setting with a twist of a
    button. In Olympus cameras at least, I believe you can store the result of
    manual focus as well, so if you use it a lot, you could dedicate a MyMode to
    your street setting.

    You might want to google for "hyper-focal", which is the basic technique you
    are trying to achieve.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Re: Solved it. was: Re: street photography and shutter lag

    In article <-meissners.org>, Michael Meissner

    > You might want to google for "hyper-focal", which is the basic technique you
    > are trying to achieve.

    Yeah.
    I'd say that with the small sensor in a compact digicam, a wideangle,
    and a medium aperture, the depth of field is practically infinite if
    you focus in the middle distance. Certainly one meter to infinity is no
    problem, probably much more.

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Eolake Stobblehouse

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:45:09 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
    >> Is there a way with cameras like Nikon 8400 and Minolta A200 to *fix*
    >> the focus for several shots (not just before each one)? In other words
    >> more or less like manual focus.

    >The 8400 has a manual focus mode, although I've never had occasion to use
    >it. I would imagine it would do what you want. Perhaps you could
    >download the manual to check. This site has the 5400 manual:
    > http://www.nikon.com.sg/
    >
    >The only fixed-focus I've done has been at infinity - from an aircraft -
    >using the infinity setting.

    David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On my 5700
    you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a newer model, I'd
    assume the 8400 can do this as well?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Ed Ruf wrote:
    []
    > David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On
    > my 5700 you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a
    > newer model, I'd assume the 8400 can do this as well?

    Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do everything
    that's required.

    I was reluctant to promise the OP that this would do /exactly/ what they
    wanted as it is something is haven't /directly/ used myself.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Eolake Stobblehouse

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:07:57 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf wrote:
    >[]
    >> David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On
    >> my 5700 you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a
    >> newer model, I'd assume the 8400 can do this as well?

    >Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do everything
    >that's required.
    >
    >I was reluctant to promise the OP that this would do /exactly/ what they
    >wanted as it is something is haven't /directly/ used myself.

    Out of curiosity has Nikon fixed what I would consider a design flaw on the
    57700, the need to hold the button down? I always thought and still think a
    toggle would be much more usable.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2004
  9. Ed Ruf wrote:
    []
    > Out of curiosity has Nikon fixed what I would consider a design flaw
    > on the 57700, the need to hold the button down? I always thought and
    > still think a toggle would be much more usable.

    As I haven't used it - I don't know!

    If you don't have an 8400 manual, and could accept a 14MB file by e-mail
    (perhap 18MB attachment size), I will e-mail you the manual (as I know you
    are an existing Nikon user). Or download it yourself, of course.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 11, 2004
  10. Eolake Stobblehouse

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:42:09 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf wrote:
    >[]
    >> Out of curiosity has Nikon fixed what I would consider a design flaw
    >> on the 57700, the need to hold the button down? I always thought and
    >> still think a toggle would be much more usable.

    >As I haven't used it - I don't know!
    >
    >If you don't have an 8400 manual, and could accept a 14MB file by e-mail
    >(perhap 18MB attachment size), I will e-mail you the manual (as I know you
    >are an existing Nikon user). Or download it yourself, of course.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2004
  11. In article <>, David J Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > If you don't have an 8400 manual, and could accept a 14MB file by e-mail
    > (perhap 18MB attachment size), I will e-mail you the manual (as I know you
    > are an existing Nikon user). Or download it yourself, of course.

    I would love to get it. (I did not see the 8400 in the Coolpix list on
    the site you gave.)

    TIP FOR SENDING LARGE FILES:
    http://yousendit.com

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 11, 2004
  12. In article <>, David J Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > Ed Ruf wrote:
    > []
    > > David, I would assume the 8400 has the AF/AE button as well, no? On
    > > my 5700 you can set this to lock AT only, AE only or both. Being a
    > > newer model, I'd assume the 8400 can do this as well?

    > Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do everything
    > that's required.

    Not quite, for that only locks the AF for ONE shot, right?

    --
    - Eolake
    --

    http://MacCreator.com
    Eolake Stobblehouse, Dec 11, 2004
  13. Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
    > In article <>, David J Taylor
    > <> wrote:

    []
    > I would love to get it. (I did not see the 8400 in the Coolpix list on
    > the site you gave.)

    You will need to try another site.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 11, 2004
  14. Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
    []
    >> Yes, indeed it does have the AE/AF-L button, so it should do
    >> everything that's required.

    > Not quite, for that only locks the AF for ONE shot, right?

    As I said, I haven't used the AF-L function so I can't say.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 11, 2004
  15. Eolake Stobblehouse

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:39:13 +0000, in rec.photo.digital Eolake
    Stobblehouse <> wrote:

    >Not quite, for that only locks the AF for ONE shot, right?

    If it works like the AF/AE lock on the 5700, it's as long as you hold the
    button down for, IIRC.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Dec 11, 2004