Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, May 21, 2004.

  1. MAY 19 | Warner Home Video abruptly cut off distribution to videogame
    retailer Electronics Boutique after the chain began selling the Lord of
    the Rings: The Return of the King DVD 10 days before street date and
    refused to pull it.

    The studio has advised distributors to suspend all shipments of Warner
    product to EB indefinitely and said it is investigating other options to
    force the chain to remove the title from its shelves, said WHV senior VP
    of domestic sales Jeff Baker.

    "It's nothing to worry about," EB Games chief executive Jeff Griffiths
    replied when asked about the suspension. "We do virtually no business
    with Warner Home Video."

    EB Games recently added new plus used DVD and music CD sales as a way of
    driving its game business.

    Warner sibling New Line Home Entertainment's Return of the King was
    selling for $24.95 on the EBGames Web site, which noted that discs
    wouldn't ship until May 24.

    King earned $377 million at the domestic box office and is expected to
    be one of the top DVD sellers of the year, like its prequels.

    "It's important that everybody understand we are serious about this
    issue," Baker said. "Clearly on a going forward basis, my intention is
    to take a very hard line on any retailer who blatantly breaks street
    date on product."

    Although not a major DVD retailer, EB does periodically sell movies that
    appeal to its core gaming audience in its 1,500 stores across the
    country.

    Warner has in the past warned retailers about breaking street date but
    had not in recent years suspended a retailer for a street date
    violation. Baker said most retailers take product off shelves when
    asked.

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=7746&catType=NEWS
    One-Shot Scot, May 21, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    AstroKreep Guest

    "It's nothing to worry about," EB Games chief executive Jeff Griffiths
    replied when asked about the suspension. "We do virtually no business
    with Warner Home Video."

    and with that shitty attitude, i dont think youll be doing much more
    AstroKreep, May 22, 2004

  3. That's it AstroKreep I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    Now someone hit my music....
    > "It's nothing to worry about," EB Games chief executive Jeff Griffiths
    > replied when asked about the suspension. "We do virtually no business
    > with Warner Home Video."
    >

    > and with that shitty attitude, i dont think youll be doing much more

    Yep. This is the same EBGames that will buy stuff from people
    without checking if its stolen goods. Just another reason why not
    to do business with them.

    --
    Demolition Man
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, May 22, 2004
  4. >Yep. This is the same EBGames that will buy stuff from people
    >without checking if its stolen goods. Just another reason why not
    >to do business with them.

    Regardless of my feelings of EB's business practices, I'm curious as to how
    you'd expect EB to determine if some used game or movie is stolen or not. Few
    video games or movies have traceable serial numbers, and I doubt there are many
    people marking their own stuff to recover it in time of theft.

    What company-wide standards would you have them implement that could
    effectively stop the purchase and resale of stolen goods? The only possible
    mechanism I can think of is to sit on the stuff for a period of time to allow
    possible claimants to come forth, but again without things like serial numbers
    or etchings, how could someone conclusively prove they owned something?
    Robert Morgan, May 23, 2004