Streamlining using services.msc

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cloud Burst, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Cloud Burst

    Cloud Burst Guest

    Hi.

    I have a relatively low speed (350MHz) Dell that I'm trying to
    optimize. After installing XP SP2 I noticed Security Center in
    the System Tray so I decided to get rid of any services I didn't
    think I needed. I don't use Windows Firewall.

    I wonder if someone could let me know if there is any good reason
    to leave the following services enabled. I've already disabled
    Security Center since I don't think I need it. I use ZoneAlarm,
    Norton AntiVirus, and I don't share anything over the network.

    Also, can you think of any other services that I can disable?

    Remote Registry
    Sounds dangerous to me.

    Server
    I don't see why I need this.

    Wireless Zero Configuration
    I have nothing wireless to utilize this.

    Thanks.

    CB

    Cloud Burst, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Cloud Burst

    Ron Martell Guest

    Cloud Burst <> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a relatively low speed (350MHz) Dell that I'm trying to
    >optimize. After installing XP SP2 I noticed Security Center in
    >the System Tray so I decided to get rid of any services I didn't
    >think I needed. I don't use Windows Firewall.
    >
    >I wonder if someone could let me know if there is any good reason
    >to leave the following services enabled. I've already disabled
    >Security Center since I don't think I need it. I use ZoneAlarm,
    >Norton AntiVirus, and I don't share anything over the network.
    >
    >Also, can you think of any other services that I can disable?
    >
    >Remote Registry
    > Sounds dangerous to me.
    >
    >Server
    > I don't see why I need this.
    >
    >Wireless Zero Configuration
    > I have nothing wireless to utilize this.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >CB

    See http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm for detailed advice
    on reconfiguring services, and the potential consequences or risks (if
    any) of doing so.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --