streamlining clean up process

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by someone, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. someone

    someone Guest

    I am cleaning up a computer for a friend. A newbie, obviously they have
    downloaded anything offered (ie. spyware ...).
    Major indications of the problems were slow (512 ram, 2.6 cpu), endless
    popups and browser hi jacking.

    Their anti-virus subscription was obviously expired for some time.

    My steps:
    - installed norton AV - scanned, removed/quarantined all viruses
    indicated, repeated with several other AV and other viruses removed (35+)
    - installed search and destroy and ad aware and all indicated problems
    removed (150+)
    - ran hijack this and indicated problems removed (20)
    - manually removed ebates, moneymaker ...
    - removing "errorguard" next

    Is there a simplier combined process to clean a desktop that is a total
    mess?
    I know I could have wiped the hdd and rebuilt ... except the newbie would
    need to buy an operating system (compaq - restore disk only). This desktop
    is only ~1 year old, scrapping and buying a new one is not a reasonable
    option either.

    Suggestions appreciated!

    someone, Jan 1, 2005

  2. someone

    Richard Guest

    Burn anything he wants to disk and use that restore disk.

    Richard, Jan 1, 2005