Streaming performance

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by thnewton, Jul 24, 2009.

  1. thnewton

    thnewton Guest

    Hi,

    Wanted to share an interesting observation, and have a question. I have a
    Rangemax 240, works fine. My neighbor has an older Netgear router, works
    fine. When i'm on the side porch, my neighbor's router is within range. When
    i run the internet speed test at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ in the
    living room my wireless connection is very fast (13000 kbps), and when on
    the porch my wireless speed from the neighbor's distant router is still
    good, but just 7000 kbps.

    I like to watch Austrian TV here, http://ondemand.orf.at/

    When i connect to a 280kb stream above through my neighbor's wireless,
    buffering is quick and video is smooth every time. Yet in my living room ,
    with a much faster connection, and the same laptop, the streams above buffer
    longer, and rebuffer constantly. Odd, ain't it?

    Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

    Tom

    thnewton, Jul 24, 2009