    virus??
    Any help would be appreciated.....

    Thanks

    Jackie, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Jackie

    rrivers Guest

    Jackie wrote:
    > A friend of mine has got a problem with his computer..
    > He is running XP and when he booted his computer tonight he got a blue
    > screen with 'windows xp' and nothing else... he cant go any further....
    > We tried to boot from the cd to do a repair but again the the screen came up
    > again...
    > There is no error message and neither of us have ever seen that screen
    > before...
    > He has not kept his virus checker up to date so I dont know if he has a
    > virus??
    > Any help would be appreciated.....
    >
    > Thanks

    can you boot into the safe mode ?
    if so try running the repair from there...

    rrivers, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Jackie

    lisa nicholl Guest

    lisa nicholl, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Jackie

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Jackie posted ...

    > A friend of mine has got a problem with his computer..
    > He is running XP and when he booted his computer tonight he got a blue
    > screen with 'windows xp' and nothing else... he cant go any
    > further....
    > We tried to boot from the cd to do a repair but again the the screen
    > came up again...
    > There is no error message and neither of us have ever seen that screen
    > before...
    > He has not kept his virus checker up to date so I dont know if he has
    > a virus??
    > Any help would be appreciated.....
    >
    > Thanks

    Turn the computer off, unplug from the mains as well. Leave it to sit for
    15 minutes then plug it back in and try to boot again. If it's a laptop,
    remove the battery too .. ;)

    If it doesn't work, try to boot again, but press del key or F8 or whatever
    is required to get into the BIOS, or to boot into safe mode, you may need
    the manual to find out exactly how to do this ..

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Jackie

    Jackie Guest

    "rrivers" <> wrote in message
    > Jackie wrote:
    > > A friend of mine has got a problem with his computer..
    > > He is running XP and when he booted his computer tonight he got a blue
    > > screen with 'windows xp' and nothing else... he cant go any further....
    > > We tried to boot from the cd to do a repair but again the the screen

    came up
    > > again...
    > > There is no error message and neither of us have ever seen that screen
    > > before...
    > > He has not kept his virus checker up to date so I dont know if he has a
    > > virus??
    > > Any help would be appreciated.....
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > can you boot into the safe mode ?
    > if so try running the repair from there...

    Tried booting into safe mode but that was a no go.......
    Really stuck as to where to go from here......

    Jackie, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Jackie

    DE Guest

    Jackie wrote:
    > A friend of mine has got a problem with his computer..
    > He is running XP and when he booted his computer tonight he got a blue
    > screen with 'windows xp' and nothing else... he cant go any further....
    > We tried to boot from the cd to do a repair but again the the screen came up
    > again...
    > There is no error message and neither of us have ever seen that screen
    > before...
    > He has not kept his virus checker up to date so I dont know if he has a
    > virus??
    > Any help would be appreciated.....
    >
    > Thanks

    Could be a virus, could be a dead disk or worse. Best thing you can do
    now is a repair re-install, booting from the CD.

    DE, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Jackie

    TT Guest

    If you don't set the first boot device to CD in the BIOS, you'll keep
    getting to the hard drive first...is your boot sequence set to CDROM first?

    TT, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Jackie

    Jackie Guest

    This isnt my computer so I dont know what the boot sequence is but it
    denfinatly wont boot from cd on start up so I doubt that cdrom is first.

    Jackie, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Jackie

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:06:17 +0000, Jackie wrote:

    > "rrivers" <> wrote in message
    >> Jackie wrote:
    >> > A friend of mine has got a problem with his computer..
    >> > He is running XP and when he booted his computer tonight he got a blue
    >> > screen with 'windows xp' and nothing else... he cant go any further....
    >> > We tried to boot from the cd to do a repair but again the the screen

    > came up
    >> > again...
    >> > There is no error message and neither of us have ever seen that screen
    >> > before...
    >> > He has not kept his virus checker up to date so I dont know if he has a
    >> > virus??
    >> > Any help would be appreciated.....
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >

    >> can you boot into the safe mode ?
    >> if so try running the repair from there...
    >>

    > Tried booting into safe mode but that was a no go.......
    > Really stuck as to where to go from here......

    Can you create some boot floppies and boot from them, do F8 to get into
    the recovery console? Have you bumped the case lately, loose hdd cables
    or anything?
    ~Bob

    Bob, Feb 23, 2004