Strange XP problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Calvin Crumrine, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. OK, so the initial problem isn't that strange-what's strange is the
    problem I ran into while attempting to fix the original problem.

    I've got a client who's only up here for the summer. Naturally she
    didn't bring her system or program CD's & now she has a problem.

    Her laptop freezes when loading agp440.sys. This is a known problem &
    the solution (per MS) is to use the Recovery Console to disable the
    agp440 service. So far not a strange problem.

    You need the administrator's password to access the Recovery Console
    and, naturally, she doesn't remember it. So I downloaded Petter
    Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd ) which says that the password
    is blank. The Recovery Console however, says that the blank password is
    invalid. Just to double-check I used the utility to reset the password
    to blank-but the Recovery Console still says that it's invalid.

    I'm loading the Recovery Console from a retail version of XP Home & her
    laptop, of course, has an OEM version. Do you think that might be the
    problem?

    At this point I seem to be locked out from repairing her laptop so my
    next step will probably be installing my retail version over the top of
    her OEM version & hope that the system will treat it as an
    upgrade-retaining her programs.

    Last resort is format & install my retail version, then hope that we can
    come up with additional copies of her essential programs. I should be
    able to slave her hard drive to another PC & back it up-at least I've
    done it before and as far as I know (and as far as she can remember) she
    has no encrypted/password-protected files.

    Any ideas of what the problem is with the password? Or ideas on a better
    next step than reinstalling Windows? Thanks.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Calvin Crumrine

    Michael-NC Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402

    Maybe?

    Michael-NC, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Sounds likely. Can't really tell now-I'm now getting disk read errors on
    it so it could have been a developing drive problem. Next step is to
    reformat & see how that goes. Thanks.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 18, 2004