Strange Win2k boot failure - HDD or Power Supply or both?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kaiaroo@gmail.com, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am running Win2k Pro with the most recent SP updates on a box with
    the following specs:

    Asus P4S533 645DX
    P4 2.4 Ghz
    768mb DDR 2700 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 128mb DDR
    LeadTek WinFast TV card *
    SB Audigy 2 Platinum (/w front panel board *)
    NEC 3500A DVD-R
    Samsung 16x DVD-ROM
    PCI Linksys 10/100 Lan Card *
    8 gig IBM HDD - temp / "files to burn" drive
    80 gig WD Caviar SE (7200, 8mb cache) - main (OS) HDD
    ThermalTake PurePower HPC-420-102 DF Power Supply (ATX 12V 420w max.
    load)

    * Removed in an effort to reduce power load, but still same failure

    The situation:
    Woke up to the system powered down (I keep it running 24/7 except for @
    one night a week)
    On first boot after seeing the system down, I get a blue screen STOP:
    0x0000007B - Inaccessible Boot Device right before the resolution
    changes to the Login Screen. Since it was showing the HDD in the BIOS,
    I figured part of the registry or some driver files were corrupted. I
    checked all the connections; power and IDE cables... and cleaned out
    some dust.
    I had not installed any new hardware or installed any programs that
    would mess with such things as far as I know... so, I switch over to
    booting up with the NEC drive with the Win2k Pro CD (I also have a copy
    of 2k Exec.) to get into the recovery console... but, i dont make it
    that far.
    The system just shuts off (power failure - like). I try a few more
    times, but even the one time i do make it to the RC it shuts off before
    i can try anything (besides i dont want to be doing a recovery while
    having power issues). At this point im feeling pretty down and I start
    researching more thoroughly on the laptop. I find plenty of info on
    workarounds and fixes for people with the same blue screen, but none
    that address power failure WHILE attempting to use the Recovery Console
    to address the (somewhat common) 7B blue screen.

    So at this point, I have removed all the items with an asterisk,
    thinking that im just hitting a power failure consistently and that
    possible thats what even got me to the 7B blue screen in the first
    place from something power related (as opposed to the problem starting
    with the HDD).

    Can anyone help? I thought I knew my box like the back of my hand...
    but, im stumped when it comes to the consistent power failure after
    something like 2-3 min into the boot to disc recovery process.
    Also, something I noticed while working on the box and researching at
    the same time: when trying to boot normally, the computer will not stay
    at the blue screen for more than about 4-5 min, before it does has the
    exact same power failure.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can afford to spend a couple
    hundred, but not to completely overhaul the box with multiple
    replacement parts... especially if i dont know the source of the
    problem; in other words, know that the parts will definitely fix the
    problem entirely.

    - kaia

    , Apr 13, 2006

  2. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > place from something power related (as opposed to the problem starting
    > with the HDD).
    >
    > Can anyone help? I thought I knew my box like the back of my hand...
    > but, im stumped when it comes to the consistent power failure after
    > something like 2-3 min into the boot to disc recovery process.
    > Also, something I noticed while working on the box and researching at
    > the same time: when trying to boot normally, the computer will not stay
    > at the blue screen for more than about 4-5 min, before it does has the
    > exact same power failure.
    >
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can afford to spend a couple
    > hundred, but not to completely overhaul the box with multiple
    > replacement parts... especially if i dont know the source of the
    > problem; in other words, know that the parts will definitely fix the

    kaia

    The fact the PC crashes 4/5 minutes irrespective of what it's doing suggests
    there is a heat related problem.

    You don't mention the CPU and Power supply fans, have you checked they are
    going.
    Is the heat sink firmly pressed against the CPU?

    If they don't appear to be the culprit it seems the sensible thing to do
    would be to try another power supply.

    Try disconnecting the hard drives, optical drives, floppy drive, all but one
    stick of Ram etc and work your way back up till you find the culprit.

    Best
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 13, 2006

  3. kaiaroo Guest

    >The fact the PC crashes 4/5 minutes irrespective of what it's doing suggests
    there is a heat related problem.

    Okay, thats a good start (the power/heat issues are something im not
    really familiar with). What irks me is that it is so consistent. On
    regular boot, it blue screens and then power fails at almost the exact
    same time, each time i try. Same thing with going into the Win2k Setup,
    it always just barely gets past a certain time.
    On top of that, I removed a bunch of stuff mid-way through this... and
    cleaned all the fans and removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink and
    removed more dust than i had let collect in a PC in years (two moves
    between apartments w/o cleaning inside). I then tried going to the R.C.
    with like 4-5 parts removed (avoiding messing with any of the 4 drives
    [2optical/2HDDs} on the IDE cables until i got some help so as not to
    mess things up more in terms of what the system is expecting on
    boot)... still, all those changes to things that would affect heat and
    use power; and no change?

    How easy is it for a power supply to die in less than a year?

    it is actually the most recent upgrade from around the same time as the
    DVD-R, but it has gone for 5 months or so with the PSU and the new
    drive working fine, then no hardware changes since...
    Could something from an outside source (like a power spike or
    something) just fry the power supply, yet still lead to this sort
    situation (as opposed to just not powering on)?

    Taking everything out one by one will certainly take a while... but, if
    its the only way to figure it out the problem, ill have to give it a
    go.

    Thanks so much!

    - kaia

    kaiaroo, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:02:06 -0700, kaiaroo wrote:

    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can afford to spend a couple
    > hundred, but not to completely overhaul the box with multiple
    > replacement parts... especially if i dont know the source of the
    > problem; in other words, know that the parts will definitely fix the
    > problem entirely.

    Swap the PSU for a known good one and see what happens.

    Meat Plow, Apr 13, 2006
  5. PC Guest

    "kaiaroo" <> wrote in message
    > >The fact the PC crashes 4/5 minutes irrespective of what it's doing
    > >suggests

    > there is a heat related problem.
    >
    > Okay, thats a good start (the power/heat issues are something im not
    > really familiar with). What irks me is that it is so consistent. On
    > regular boot, it blue screens and then power fails at almost the exact
    > same time, each time i try. Same thing with going into the Win2k Setup,
    > it always just barely gets past a certain time.
    > On top of that, I removed a bunch of stuff mid-way through this... and
    > cleaned all the fans and removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink and
    > removed more dust than i had let collect in a PC in years (two moves
    > between apartments w/o cleaning inside). I then tried going to the R.C.
    > with like 4-5 parts removed (avoiding messing with any of the 4 drives
    > [2optical/2HDDs} on the IDE cables until i got some help so as not to
    > mess things up more in terms of what the system is expecting on
    > boot)... still, all those changes to things that would affect heat and
    > use power; and no change?
    >
    > How easy is it for a power supply to die in less than a year?
    >
    > it is actually the most recent upgrade from around the same time as the
    > DVD-R, but it has gone for 5 months or so with the PSU and the new
    > drive working fine, then no hardware changes since...
    > Could something from an outside source (like a power spike or
    > something) just fry the power supply, yet still lead to this sort
    > situation (as opposed to just not powering on)?
    >
    > Taking everything out one by one will certainly take a while... but, if
    > its the only way to figure it out the problem, ill have to give it a
    > go.
    >
    > Thanks so much!
    >
    > - kaia

    kaia

    "How easy is it for a power supply to die in less than a year?"
    Quite easy, though less likely with a better known brand like the one you
    have, and it would appear to have sufficient capacity to avoid overwork
    failures.
    The one's I've seen fall into two categories. <12 months old - (I've had
    two) one just died, the other went marginal and acted like yours)
    Then there's the >3/4 years old ones that suffer from noisey fans, bulging
    capacitors, glue shorts and all the other miriad of electronic failures.

    "Taking everything out one by one will certainly take a while... "
    No disconnect all the drives, they are easy really, just pull the power and
    data leads and leave them hang.
    The PC will complain about no OS or boot disk but just leave it sit and see
    if it crashes at the same time as before.
    Better still at bootup go into your Bios screen and head for the section
    that shows the CPU temperature and see if it heads up into the 50+ degrees
    area.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 13, 2006
  6. kaiaroo Guest

    thank you paul, great advice.
    i think thats what im going to try next

    -kaia

    kaiaroo, Apr 13, 2006
  7. kaiaroo Guest

    if i just had another PSU sitting around, i would try that.

    unfortunately, when i bought this one, my old one was going on 2 years
    and things were getting noisy. so that got tossed.
    this PSU has been great up until now... :shrug:

    - kaia

    kaiaroo, Apr 13, 2006