Strange VoIP behavior after storm

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ian, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. ian

    ian Guest

    My daughter has ADSL and a VoIP phone (SNOM-300). This combination has
    worked well for a long time.

    Recently there was a violent storm in her area, and the phone line went
    dead. A few days later the fault was repaired, and everything appeared
    normal again. However, something strange is happening:

    -- Her VoIP phone works fine, but ONLY when the analog POTS phone is
    off-hook.

    -- If the POTS phone is on-hook, her VoIP phone doesn't register.

    -- If she is using the POTS phone and someone calls her on the VoIP
    phone, she can talk on the VoIP phone until she puts the POTS phone back
    on-hook, at which point the VoIP connection breaks.

    (Her broadband works fine at all times).

    I am wondering if the storm damaged the ADSL filter, allowing
    interaction between POTS and VoIP, and/or whether the SNOM is damaged.

    Ideas anyone?

    --
    Ian
    ian, Aug 12, 2007

  2. ian

    dennis@home Guest

    "ian" <> wrote in message news:...
    > My daughter has ADSL and a VoIP phone (SNOM-300). This combination has
    > worked well for a long time.
    >
    > Recently there was a violent storm in her area, and the phone line went
    > dead. A few days later the fault was repaired, and everything appeared
    > normal again. However, something strange is happening:
    >
    > -- Her VoIP phone works fine, but ONLY when the analog POTS phone is
    > off-hook.
    >
    > -- If the POTS phone is on-hook, her VoIP phone doesn't register.
    >
    > -- If she is using the POTS phone and someone calls her on the VoIP phone,
    > she can talk on the VoIP phone until she puts the POTS phone back on-hook,
    > at which point the VoIP connection breaks.
    >
    > (Her broadband works fine at all times).
    >
    > I am wondering if the storm damaged the ADSL filter, allowing interaction
    > between POTS and VoIP, and/or whether the SNOM is damaged.
    >
    > Ideas anyone?

    Yes.. the behavior isn't as described.. the broadband is almost certainly
    effected but she doesn't notice.
    The fact that picking up the phone has any effect implies the line is still
    broken somewhere.
    VoIP is not separate from broadband and its hard to see any mechanism that
    would distinguish between VoIP and the rest of broadband when you pick up a
    phone.

    Check by connecting to the test socket behind the master sockets face plate
    with each filter in turn to see if they are working OK.
    dennis@home, Aug 12, 2007

  3. ian

    Graham. Guest

    "ian" <> wrote in message news:...
    > My daughter has ADSL and a VoIP phone (SNOM-300). This combination has
    > worked well for a long time.
    >
    > Recently there was a violent storm in her area, and the phone line went
    > dead. A few days later the fault was repaired, and everything appeared
    > normal again. However, something strange is happening:
    >
    > -- Her VoIP phone works fine, but ONLY when the analog POTS phone is
    > off-hook.
    >
    > -- If the POTS phone is on-hook, her VoIP phone doesn't register.
    >
    > -- If she is using the POTS phone and someone calls her on the VoIP phone,
    > she can talk on the VoIP phone until she puts the POTS phone back on-hook,
    > at which point the VoIP connection breaks.
    >
    > (Her broadband works fine at all times).
    >
    > I am wondering if the storm damaged the ADSL filter, allowing interaction
    > between POTS and VoIP, and/or whether the SNOM is damaged.
    >
    > Ideas anyone?

    Watch the DSL light (or whatever it's called) on your router when you
    pick-up
    the POT, I feel sure you will find the ADSL is in fact losing sync.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 12, 2007