Strange vertical waves on DVD playback...HALP!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by comiconline@gmail.com, Oct 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have an Oppo DVD player, rated one of the best around. Yet, when i
    play DVD's, no matter what the DVD, there are these sorta-fast moving
    vertical waves/bars that move from the left of the screen to the right.
    They are sort of like waves of light. They're subtle, but certainly
    noticeable when you're using the DVD player. They are more noticeable
    in dark scenes, but if you look closely, you can see them in any scene.
    Even when the DVD player is in "stop mode" and NOTHING is playing, i
    can see it on the plain black screen, and on the DVD player's screen
    saver.

    To fix it, i have tried turning off all other equipment, switching from
    interlaced to progressive scan on the TV, changing from 540p to 720p to
    1080i on the DVD player, moving speakers around. All had zero effect.

    I DON"T see them when i'm using my DVR, VCR, cable box, or anything
    else. Only when i use the DVD player. I have not noticed this on
    previous DVD players. Anyone know about this phenomenom, and how to
    fix it?

    I own:
    Oppo OPDV971H DVD player
    HDMI connection to my Sony Vega KV-34HS510 television (CRT)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Paul

    , Oct 11, 2006

  2. Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I have an Oppo DVD player, rated one of the best around. Yet, when i
    >play DVD's, no matter what the DVD, there are these sorta-fast moving
    >vertical waves/bars that move from the left of the screen to the right.
    > They are sort of like waves of light. They're subtle, but certainly
    >noticeable when you're using the DVD player. They are more noticeable
    >in dark scenes, but if you look closely, you can see them in any scene.
    > Even when the DVD player is in "stop mode" and NOTHING is playing, i
    >can see it on the plain black screen, and on the DVD player's screen
    >saver.
    >
    >To fix it, i have tried turning off all other equipment, switching from
    >interlaced to progressive scan on the TV, changing from 540p to 720p to
    >1080i on the DVD player, moving speakers around. All had zero effect.
    >
    >I DON"T see them when i'm using my DVR, VCR, cable box, or anything
    >else. Only when i use the DVD player. I have not noticed this on
    >previous DVD players. Anyone know about this phenomenom, and how to
    >fix it?
    >
    >I own:
    >Oppo OPDV971H DVD player
    >HDMI connection to my Sony Vega KV-34HS510 television (CRT)
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Paul

    Oppo Digital is noted for the accessibility and helpfulness of their tech
    support. What did they say about this?

    Mike S., Oct 11, 2006

  3. Guest

    Yes, actually, they are very good like that... their response to me
    (via email) said that it is either video calibration, interference,
    ground loop or bad cable.

    I recalibrated the video. Nothin'.
    I moved things around, unplugged, etc to get rid of interference.
    Nothin'.
    Group loop? I doubt it. No other video source has this phenomenon.
    Bad cable. Possible. Disconnected and re-connected cable. No
    improvement.

    When i re-routed the video of the Oppo player through a COMPONENT
    cable, instead of the HDMI, the problem was gone. Of course, the
    picture wasn't as smooth, but no waves. So, based on all that, i'm
    assuming it might be the cable? Or possibly the input/output of the
    HDMI for the DVD player or TV? Seeing as no other video combination...
    with ANY equipment, including the DVD player itself has the problem,
    EXCEPT the HDMI connection, then the problem should be the cable or
    connection, right? What if i buy a new cable, and the problem
    persists? i don't know where to go from there.

    Paul

    Mike S. wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have an Oppo DVD player, rated one of the best around. Yet, when i
    > >play DVD's, no matter what the DVD, there are these sorta-fast moving
    > >vertical waves/bars that move from the left of the screen to the right.
    > > They are sort of like waves of light. They're subtle, but certainly
    > >noticeable when you're using the DVD player. They are more noticeable
    > >in dark scenes, but if you look closely, you can see them in any scene.
    > > Even when the DVD player is in "stop mode" and NOTHING is playing, i
    > >can see it on the plain black screen, and on the DVD player's screen
    > >saver.
    > >
    > >To fix it, i have tried turning off all other equipment, switching from
    > >interlaced to progressive scan on the TV, changing from 540p to 720p to
    > >1080i on the DVD player, moving speakers around. All had zero effect.
    > >
    > >I DON"T see them when i'm using my DVR, VCR, cable box, or anything
    > >else. Only when i use the DVD player. I have not noticed this on
    > >previous DVD players. Anyone know about this phenomenom, and how to
    > >fix it?
    > >
    > >I own:
    > >Oppo OPDV971H DVD player
    > >HDMI connection to my Sony Vega KV-34HS510 television (CRT)
    > >
    > >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Paul

    > Oppo Digital is noted for the accessibility and helpfulness of their tech
    > support. What did they say about this?

    , Oct 12, 2006