    256MB DDR 400 DIMM Memory
    Radeon 7000 Dual Head 64MB DDR DVI

    Thanks

    Buffy, Jun 9, 2004

  2. In article <ca743r$gsu$2surf.net>,
    says...
    > This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
    > when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
    > immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
    > to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
    > would be taking so long?

    Is it trying to establish a network connection (unsuccessfully)? Any
    chance it's trying to find a piece of hardware, again unsuccessfully?

    Jacques

    Jacques Clouseau, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Buffy

    Buffy Guest

    Jacques Clouseau wrote:
    > In article <ca743r$gsu$2surf.net>,
    > says...
    >
    >>This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
    >>when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
    >>immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
    >>to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
    >>would be taking so long?

    > Is it trying to establish a network connection (unsuccessfully)? Any
    > chance it's trying to find a piece of hardware, again unsuccessfully?
    >
    > Jacques

    Dont really know Jacques as I havent got it with me at the moment. I do
    know that it tested fine after I'd built it and has worked fine up until
    recently. Only thing I can think of is we kept her oldish soundcard for
    which I struggled to find a XP driver for (but did eventually)

    Buffy, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Buffy

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Buffy posted:
    > Jacques Clouseau wrote:
    >> In article <ca743r$gsu$2surf.net>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> This is happening to a XP machine I built for a friend. She says that
    >>> when she powers on the PC the XP splash screen appears but then almost
    >>> immediately disappears and then the PC takes a full two minutes to get
    >>> to the desktop. Once there it appears to be fine. Any ideas why this
    >>> would be taking so long?

    >> Is it trying to establish a network connection (unsuccessfully)? Any
    >> chance it's trying to find a piece of hardware, again unsuccessfully?
    >>
    >> Jacques

    > Dont really know Jacques as I havent got it with me at the moment. I do
    > know that it tested fine after I'd built it and has worked fine up until
    > recently. Only thing I can think of is we kept her oldish soundcard for
    > which I struggled to find a XP driver for (but did eventually)

    I'd wonder what AV steps she takes regularly, and whether she has any Trojan
    killers etc etc

    If she uses the PC for surfing a lot then she may have (inadvertantly
    probably) got things like manicpointer or incredisnail clogging up the
    works.

    I'd suggets Ad-aware and Spambot S&D at least to see if she has anything
    untoward happening .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks