Strange starup item

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Flash, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Flash

    Flash Guest

    I am working on a computer and have come across this startup item. WCTGMXBJ.

    PC is a HP running XP home.

    I have searched the net and many anti-virus companies sites and cannot find
    any reference to it.

    There are four files in the SYSTEM32 folder:
    wctgmxbj.dat
    wctgmxbj_nav.dat
    wctgmxbj_navps.dat
    wctgmxbj.exe

    The PC is currently standalone and am going to format and reload OS, so I
    ran the exe. It deleted. (PC currently running in safe mode)

    ..dat file contains asian text.
    other two nav .dat files are unreadable.

    Does anyone know what this is?

    Thanks,

    Flash, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Flash

    pickluh Guest

    reboot in safe mode, copy those files to disk (floppy), then delete
    them. do the backup incase they're needed for some app to run, but
    anything in the sys32 folder should be legitimate and recognizable if
    you do a search for it.

    pickluh, Jan 6, 2006

  3. From: "Flash" <>

    | I am working on a computer and have come across this startup item. WCTGMXBJ.
    |
    | PC is a HP running XP home.
    |
    | I have searched the net and many anti-virus companies sites and cannot find
    | any reference to it.
    |
    | There are four files in the SYSTEM32 folder:
    | wctgmxbj.dat
    | wctgmxbj_nav.dat
    | wctgmxbj_navps.dat
    | wctgmxbj.exe
    |
    | The PC is currently standalone and am going to format and reload OS, so I
    | ran the exe. It deleted. (PC currently running in safe mode)
    |
    | .dat file contains asian text.
    | other two nav .dat files are unreadable.
    |
    | Does anyone know what this is?
    |
    | Thanks,

    Please submit a sample of "wctgmxbj.exe" to Virus Total --
    http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
    The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
    That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it. In addition, unless told
    otherwise, Virus Total will provide the sample to all participating vendors.

    You can also submit a suspect, one at a time, via the following email URL...
    mailto:?subject=SCAN

    When you get the report, please post back the exact results.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Flash

    Lars Guest

    Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer could
    use that for testing really easy then...

    Lars, Jan 7, 2006
  5. From: "Lars" <>

    | Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer could
    | use that for testing really easy then...

    Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is no terminology) to
    virus companies. Virus Total does submit new samples to participating companies. Albeit,
    slowly.

    Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain the subject matter
    far better than I could expect to express it.

    http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html

    David H. Lipman, Jan 7, 2006
  6. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain the

    subject matter
    > far better than I could expect to express it.
    >
    > http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
    > http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html

    Truly one of the more irritating misuses of the *English* language on
    Usenet. As for the argument that the dictionaries are not up to date, how
    can one update a dead language? Thanks for the links!

    Toni

    Toni from T.O., Jan 7, 2006
  7. Flash

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:13:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Lars" <>
    >
    >| Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer could
    >| use that for testing really easy then...
    >
    >Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is no terminology) to
    >virus companies. Virus Total does submit new samples to participating companies. Albeit,
    >slowly.
    >
    >Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain the subject matter
    >far better than I could expect to express it.
    >
    >http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
    >http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html

    Well, both authors claim, that virus in Latin lacks a plural
    form. It does not. In Latin the plural of virus reads viri.

    And I have a dictionary to prove it :)
    (Notwithstanding the fact that viri can also have another
    meaning.)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Jan 9, 2006
  8. Flash

    nemo_outis Guest

    (Gerard Bok) wrote in

    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:13:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >
    >>From: "Lars" <>
    >>
    >>| Would it REALLY not report it to the AV companies? a virii writer
    >>| could use that for testing really easy then...
    >>
    >>Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is
    >>no terminology) to virus companies. Virus Total does submit new
    >>samples to participating companies. Albeit, slowly.
    >>
    >>Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain
    >>the subject matter far better than I could expect to express it.
    >>
    >>http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
    >>http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html

    > Well, both authors claim, that virus in Latin lacks a plural
    > form. It does not. In Latin the plural of virus reads viri.
    >
    > And I have a dictionary to prove it :)
    > (Notwithstanding the fact that viri can also have another
    > meaning.)

    I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!), but
    if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence of a
    plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones either,
    but my knowledge there is more sparse).

    Yes, you can infer what the plural of virus might be assuming that it
    followed the regular declension pattern. However, actual usage trumps
    mere formalism, and there is NO use of a plural for "virus."

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Flash

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On 09 Jan 2006 17:42:05 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:

    > (Gerard Bok) wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:13:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    >> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>From: "Lars" <>

    >>>Virus writers often submit the "viruses (not viri or virii as there is
    >>>no terminology) to virus companies. Virus Total does submit new
    >>>samples to participating companies. Albeit, slowly.
    >>>
    >>>Please read the following on the plural of virus as these uRLs explain
    >>>the subject matter far better than I could expect to express it.
    >>>
    >>>http://spl.haxial.net/viruses.html
    >>>http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/plural-of-virus.html

    >> Well, both authors claim, that virus in Latin lacks a plural
    >> form. It does not. In Latin the plural of virus reads viri.
    >>
    >> And I have a dictionary to prove it :)
    >> (Notwithstanding the fact that viri can also have another
    >> meaning.)

    >I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!), but
    >if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence of a
    >plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones either,
    >but my knowledge there is more sparse).

    It's 'latijns nederlands woordenboek' by drs. h.h. mallinckrodt,
    edition Aula - Spectrum, 1969. (all-lowercase titles where common
    then :)

    If you care, I can email you the page :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Flash

    nemo_outis Guest

    (Gerard Bok) wrote in

    ....snip...
    >>I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!),
    >>but if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence
    >>of a plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones
    >>either, but my knowledge there is more sparse).

    > It's 'latijns nederlands woordenboek' by drs. h.h. mallinckrodt,
    > edition Aula - Spectrum, 1969. (all-lowercase titles where common
    > then :)
    >
    > If you care, I can email you the page :)

    Thank you for the citation; however, I am unacquainted with that
    (Dutch?) text.

    The thing about the Latin word "virus" is that, even in Latin, it is
    unusual. It is second declension, neuter (not masculine, as the
    ending would suggest) - this makes it only one of a handful of such
    nouns that have masculine endings but are neuter in gender.

    The word in Latin means "poison" or "venom" and is a "noun of extent."
    By that I mean that it does not "multiplicity" as an attribute and so
    there is no plural for the noun. A similar case in English would be
    something like "oxygen." You can have a little oxygen, or a lot of
    oxygen, but not many "oxygens."

    An interesting and useful discussion can be found at:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Jan 9, 2006
  11. Flash

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On 09 Jan 2006 21:28:27 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:

    > (Gerard Bok) wrote in
    >
    >...snip...
    >>>I do not know what Latin dictionary you are using (please cite it!),
    >>>but if it gives a plural for virus it is wrong. There is NO occurence
    >>>of a plural use of "virus" in classical Latin texts (or medieval ones
    >>>either, but my knowledge there is more sparse).

    >> It's 'latijns nederlands woordenboek' by drs. h.h. mallinckrodt,
    >> edition Aula - Spectrum, 1969. (all-lowercase titles where common
    >> then :)

    >Thank you for the citation; however, I am unacquainted with that
    >(Dutch?) text.

    Yes. Dutch

    >The thing about the Latin word "virus" is that, even in Latin, it is
    >unusual. It is second declension, neuter (not masculine, as the
    >ending would suggest) - this makes it only one of a handful of such
    >nouns that have masculine endings but are neuter in gender.
    >
    >The word in Latin means "poison" or "venom"

    Not in my dictionary :) It says:
    1 - Slijmerigheid (= slimy)
    2 - slijm (= phlegm or slime)
    3 - gif (= poison, venom)
    4 - scherpe smaak (hot or spicy tasting)
    5 - vuiligheid (filt)
    6 - onbeschaafde eigenschap (vulgar behavour)

    The dictionary does not indicate declension (I would have called
    it 4th though, but hey, I took up another trade, many years ago
    :)

    > A similar case in English would be
    >something like "oxygen." You can have a little oxygen, or a lot of
    >oxygen, but not many "oxygens."

    Not convincing :) Oxygen is the proper name of a specific
    element. And therefore there is only one oxygen.

    It's clear that virus is not such a 'proper name' but can
    indicate a group of things. If it comes in both red an yellow, it
    can be plural imho.

    >An interesting and useful discussion can be found at:
    >
    >http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

    Very happy about that link :)
    Not just because of the discussion, but I felt bad about my '4th
    declension' recollection. It seems, I'm not alone there :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Jan 9, 2006