Strange startup connection to 199.239.137.*

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Sam, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I just noticed this in my Firefox browser. With my TCPVIEWER utility
    running, When I start FireFox, within a few seconds, it is making a port 80
    connection to 199.239.137.*, usually 199.239.137.200 or 199.239.137.245.

    Then within another 5 seconds or so, it closes. So some "pinging" or
    spyware crap is going on.

    I have exhausted everything short of removing and reinstalling FireFox to
    get rid of this unknown connection.

    What could I have prepared in FIREFOX that will caused this? This doesn't
    happen on a few other machines where I have FF installed nor does it happen
    with IE. So it is something I have prepared in my copy of FF.

    Could it be some "Tabbed" thing? or FAVICON thing that FF is trying to
    update? on my tabbed URL menus?

    Anyway, any tips of getting rid of this annoying intrusion would be
    appreciated. I hate to reinstall everything without having a clue of what I
    am cleaning up.

    Thanks
    Sam, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Sam

    gwtc Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I just noticed this in my Firefox browser. With my TCPVIEWER utility
    > running, When I start FireFox, within a few seconds, it is making a port 80
    > connection to 199.239.137.*, usually 199.239.137.200 or 199.239.137.245.
    >
    > Then within another 5 seconds or so, it closes. So some "pinging" or
    > spyware crap is going on.
    >
    > I have exhausted everything short of removing and reinstalling FireFox to
    > get rid of this unknown connection.
    >
    > What could I have prepared in FIREFOX that will caused this? This doesn't
    > happen on a few other machines where I have FF installed nor does it happen
    > with IE. So it is something I have prepared in my copy of FF.
    >
    > Could it be some "Tabbed" thing? or FAVICON thing that FF is trying to
    > update? on my tabbed URL menus?
    >
    > Anyway, any tips of getting rid of this annoying intrusion would be
    > appreciated. I hate to reinstall everything without having a clue of what I
    > am cleaning up.
    >
    > Thanks

    those numbers go to NYTimes. What do you have for your start up page?
    Do you have any live bookmarks -- rss feeds? Or what have you got
    running in the background that is doing this?

    --
    You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . happy hour is a nap.
    gwtc, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Sam

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "gwtc" <> wrote in message

    >> I just noticed this in my Firefox browser. With my TCPVIEWER
    >> utility running, When I start FireFox, within a few seconds, it
    >> is making a port 80 connection to 199.239.137.*, usually
    >> 199.239.137.200 or 199.239.137.245.
    >>
    >> ..
    >>
    >> Could it be some "Tabbed" thing? or FAVICON thing that FF is
    >> trying to update? on my tabbed URL menus?

    > those numbers go to NYTimes. What do you have for your start up page?
    > Do you have any live bookmarks -- rss feeds? Or what have you got
    > running in the background that is doing this?

    Nothing in memory first thing I checked or running/started by FF as far as I
    know.

    It must be the live bookmarks with the NYTIMES link. I have been playing
    around with RSS feeds and I had thought I was pretty sure I removed it
    knowing that it would be a startup overhead. I was more living the RSS XML
    format than anything else.

    But apparently, it is still in my FF configuration/setup. I'm going thru all
    my bookmarks now.

    Geez, I had done a whois and it pointed to NTT America. If I had some
    indication that it was NY TIMES, that would had told me exactly what it was.
    How did you figure out it was NYTIMES?

    I appreciate the fast response, it will help "dummies" <g> who begin to see
    things like this with increase RSS feed usage.

    Thanks
    Sam, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Sam, Jul 10, 2006
  6. Sam

    Miller Guest

    *Sam* wrote on 10.07.06 21:46:
    > "gwtc" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> I just noticed this in my Firefox browser. With my TCPVIEWER
    >>> utility running, When I start FireFox, within a few seconds, it
    >>> is making a port 80 connection to 199.239.137.*, usually
    >>> 199.239.137.200 or 199.239.137.245.

    [..snip..]
    >> those numbers go to NYTimes. What do you have for your start up page?
    >> Do you have any live bookmarks -- rss feeds? Or what have you got
    >> running in the background that is doing this?

    [..snip..]
    > Geez, I had done a whois and it pointed to NTT America. If I had some
    > indication that it was NY TIMES, that would had told me exactly what it was.
    > How did you figure out it was NYTIMES?

    Just copy and paste 199.239.137.200 or 199.239.137.245 into your
    browser's adressbar and hit return. You'll land directly on the homepage
    of NYTimes.

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Jul 10, 2006
  7. Sam

    Miller Guest

    Miller, Jul 10, 2006
  8. Sam

    gwtc Guest

    actually I did http://199.239.137.200

    --
    You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . happy hour is a nap.
    gwtc, Jul 11, 2006
  9. Sam

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 11, 2006