    sometimes not at all for a half hour. Doesn't matter what software is
    running.

    Anybody have any idea what the heck it could be?
    Art, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Art

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| My PC has recently started making a little "badip" double beep
    >| noise, much like my cell phone when the battery is low. It does it
    >| every few minutes, but not on a regular pattern. Sometimes 3 in a
    >| five minute period, sometimes not at all for a half hour. Doesn't
    >| matter what software is running.
    >|
    >| Anybody have any idea what the heck it could be?

    Since you didn't bother to tell us a stinkin' thing about 1) your PC, 2)
    your OS, etc., I doubt anyone could be certain. But my first guess would be
    a heat indicator from your motherboard. Many of the new ones have an alarm
    built in for when the CPU is getting too hot. You should be able to find
    information regarding the temperatures and fan speeds and such in your CMOS
    setup utillity. Check your fans - make sure they're clean and running full
    speed.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Art

    Art Guest

    Tim:

    Thanks for that info; I'd never heard of any audible system alarms before.

    It's a Sony VIAO running XP Home. I've run it on generic XP, and the fan
    runs loud, which is a problem, because I record audio in the room, so I went
    back to the original factory install. With the original Sony flavor XP, the
    fan speed is variable and controlled by the system, and never goes up to
    screamin' full throttle. It's clean right now, and it's running slow and
    quiet as it always has. But I'll see what I can find out about my
    operating temps.

    Art, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Art

    Art Guest

    OK, it's definitely not a thermal thing. Just turned the computer on, and
    the first thing it did was beep, twice. (First time I've heard two beeps
    separated by less than a few minutes. They're not from the internal
    speaker; they're mixed into the sound card output.) Tried to record the
    audio then, and it took five minutes before there was another beep.

    Had company yesterday, and they thought it was really annoying, too.

    Everyone agreed, though, that the cell phone low battery double beep is just
    what it sounds like. Nobody had a clue what it meant.

    I've read everything I can find on the Sony site, and nuthin.

    Here's what it sounds like:
    http://voices.cc/strangesonypcnoise.mp3
    Art, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Art

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| OK, it's definitely not a thermal thing. Just turned the computer
    >| on, and the first thing it did was beep, twice. (First time I've
    >| heard two beeps separated by less than a few minutes. They're not
    >| from the internal speaker; they're mixed into the sound card
    >| output.) Tried to record the audio then, and it took five minutes
    >| before there was another beep.
    >|
    >| Had company yesterday, and they thought it was really annoying, too.
    >|
    >| Everyone agreed, though, that the cell phone low battery double beep
    >| is just what it sounds like. Nobody had a clue what it meant.
    >|
    >| I've read everything I can find on the Sony site, and nuthin.
    >|
    >| Here's what it sounds like:
    >| http://voices.cc/strangesonypcnoise.mp3

    That is weird - I've never heard that one before...maybe there's a Vaio
    based newsgroup where you could get some more info.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Art

    Main Guest

    I some times get a wired sound when an active cell phone is near to my PC or
    when some one is using an AM transmitter (illegal in the UK)

    But this all depends where you are in the world.

    |>| OK, it's definitely not a thermal thing. Just turned the computer
    | >| on, and the first thing it did was beep, twice. (First time I've
    | >| heard two beeps separated by less than a few minutes. They're not
    | >| from the internal speaker; they're mixed into the sound card
    | >| output.) Tried to record the audio then, and it took five minutes
    | >| before there was another beep.
    | >|

    Main, Oct 17, 2004
  7. Art

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:37:42 -0500 "Art"
    used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Here's what it sounds like:
    >http://voices.cc/strangesonypcnoise.mp3

    It sounds like a pop-up blocker.

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Art

    Art Guest

    > It sounds like a pop-up blocker.

    Good guess. I used to have one, and it made that "bloop" noise the MTV
    popups make. Don't have it any more.

    And the computer makes that sound when it's just sitting here doing nothing.

    Watching the Task Master gives no clue. No applications running, and I
    occasionally go down the Processes list and kill anything I don't think I
    need. None of this seems to have any effect. It just beeps away, sometimes
    every few minutes, sometimes as much as 15 to 30 minutes apart.

    The only thing I've changed lately is Service Pack 2. That's probably about
    the time it started, although I think it was a week or two later.
    Art, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Art

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| > It sounds like a pop-up blocker.
    >|
    >| Good guess. I used to have one, and it made that "bloop" noise the
    >| MTV popups make. Don't have it any more.
    >|
    >| And the computer makes that sound when it's just sitting here doing
    >| nothing.
    >|
    >| Watching the Task Master gives no clue. No applications running,
    >| and I occasionally go down the Processes list and kill anything I
    >| don't think I need. None of this seems to have any effect. It just
    >| beeps away, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes as much as 15 to
    >| 30 minutes apart.
    >|
    >| The only thing I've changed lately is Service Pack 2. That's
    >| probably about the time it started, although I think it was a week
    >| or two later.

    Ummmm....exorcist?

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Art

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:29:41 -0500 "Art"
    used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >The only thing I've changed lately is Service Pack 2. That's probably about
    >the time it started, although I think it was a week or two later.

    It does kinda sound like the warning IE gives w/SP2 when it encounters
    ActiveX content.

    But you say no apps. are running ... weird.

    I use Security Task Manager to identify processes running, maybe give
    it a shot?

    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/download.html

    G. Morgan, Oct 18, 2004
  11. Art

    Art Guest

    Re: Strange sound source found?

    > It does kinda sound like the warning IE gives w/SP2 when it encounters
    > ActiveX content.
    >
    > But you say no apps. are running ... weird.
    >
    > I use Security Task Manager to identify processes running, maybe give
    > it a shot?
    >
    > http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/download.html

    Graham:

    Thanks for that. This SP2 ActiveX alarm is something I've never heard of,
    but I think you're right.

    I downloaded Task Manager. Clicked the column to sort by ratings risk
    percentage. Top program, EGNKID32.exe, showed 100%. Had all the risks;
    hidden, no window. Text in file showed it to be a web logger, with a lot of
    words in it that look really bad, like "lolita, rape." I've not even looked
    at any adult web sites in years, but I get plenty of spam, so I'm guessing
    that's where it came from.

    The kicker is, it was using 0% of processor time. Then, I happened to be
    looking right at the zero when it changed, for about half a second, to 54%.
    At that moment, I got the beep.

    So at this time, I'd guess there's about a 90% chance that the problem has
    been located and successfully quarantined.

    Thanks to all who helped. I'll report back if I find out anything else.
    Art, Oct 18, 2004
  12. Art

    Art Guest

    Re: Strange sound: Great advice!

    Got ahold of my companies computer guy, who had been mystified by my strange
    beeps too. Told him I'd downloaded Security Task Manager (thanks for the
    tip, G. Morgan) and it identified the web logger EGNKID32.exe as the
    culprit, but I wondered how it got there. The note he sent back contains
    brilliant advice that had never occurred to me, and probably to millions of
    other computer users who are nearly as dumb as I am, so I pass it along
    here:

    You have been hacked. You should not be running as an administrator. This
    allows malicious code to install.
    Art, Oct 18, 2004
  13. Art

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Strange sound: Great advice!

    >| Got ahold of my companies computer guy, who had been mystified by my
    >| strange beeps too. Told him I'd downloaded Security Task Manager
    >| (thanks for the tip, G. Morgan) and it identified the web logger
    >| EGNKID32.exe as the culprit, but I wondered how it got there. The
    >| note he sent back contains brilliant advice that had never occurred
    >| to me, and probably to millions of other computer users who are
    >| nearly as dumb as I am, so I pass it along here:
    >|
    >| You have been hacked. You should not be running as an administrator.
    >| This allows malicious code to install.

    Well, running on a limited account is *one* way of stopping installs...but I
    really hate to log off/log on over and over. Instead, I've opted for
    protection via firewalls, Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, Spyware Blaster,
    and Prevx, plus a well written hosts file, and similar "Safe Hex" computing.
    And guess what...it works.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 19, 2004