strange setup for small peer to peer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by mdb, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. mdb

    mdb Guest

    I'm having some problems with a small peer to peer lan I set up for a
    customer. They're waiting for new office to be ready so are sharing a
    friend's space. Here's the setup:

    Four pcs. Three use XP Home, one Win 2k. There is also an HP laserjet using
    an ethernet connection.

    Internet access is via a wireless lan, with each computer having its own
    wireless NIC. The wireless (internet) connection uses TCP/IP for the network
    protocol, with dynamic addressing and private ip addresses in the
    192.168.1.x range. Those wireless nics were working but stopped. Two of them
    simply will not pick up an ip address but keep going back to the default
    address and thus won't connect to the internet. Three of the computers share
    a monitor and keybd via a KVM switch and are only a few (3) feet apart. Is
    there a possibility that the proximity of the machines to each other is a
    problem, that there is some sort of interference going on. The nics see the
    wireless router and have an "excellent" signal strength. Neither D-Link nor
    Belkin (brands of nics) tech support could resolve it.I'm using Wireless
    Zero to configure the nics, not the proprietary software, on their
    recommendation.

    Access to a shared folder on the "server" is via a wired lan and a dumb
    switch. The wired connection has tcp/ip disabled and uses the old netbeui as
    the lan protocol. That seems to work well, except that the printer is
    sometimes not accessible. It occurs to me that I never addressed the
    question of the protocol on the printer. I'm not sure that I can set the
    printer (HP1320n) to use netbeui as its protocol.

    I set it up like that, with two separate networks, because I did not want
    any possible conflicts between IP addresses. I'm wondering if I needed to do
    it that way, or could I have gotten everything to work via a wireless
    network. Problem with that is the flakiness of the wireless nics.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Michael

    mdb, Jan 10, 2007

  2. Hi

    Putting aside advice concerning the topology of such an arrangement and it
    merits.

    As is, you can add TCP/IP to the wired network and bind both NetBEUI and
    TCP/IP to the file sharing, and it might solve the printing issue.

    Putting every thing on Wireless only, would be a mistake. I would not risk
    a business LAN to be totally dependent on Wireless, in matter of fact since
    the computers are in the same spot, there is No reason to be wireless at
    all.

    I would collapse the whole thing into a solid one wired network (with
    NetBEUI and TCP/IP on so that you do not need to configure every thing from
    scratch).

    If the Wireless is necessary to get the Internet, Bridge the Network
    Wirelessly at one point to get the Internet, and segregate it from the
    Friend’s office.

    You can get a wired Cable/DSL Router and configure your client's system with
    wires while the Router provided DHCP or what ever else is needed.

    Get a Wireless consumer Bridge (like the Game Box type Wireless card)
    configure it to connect to the Friend is Internet, and plug it to the WAN
    port of the Router.

    This two pages do not describe your specific situation but they can help
    with the principles.

    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Wireless Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).