    seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry
    scan?
    , Mar 5, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:46:26 -0600, EApplegate wrote:

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
    >
    > There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and backing up the
    > registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs don't
    > seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry
    > scan?

    Version 6 of something. Maybe MS VB, Vista, hard to tell. No need to mess
    with it if the PC operates ok.

    Meat Plow, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sun, 05 Mar 2006
    00:46:26 -0600, canst thou now find out, to hide
    from this open and apparent shame?:

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
    >
    >There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and backing up the
    >registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs

    don't
    >seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep

    registry
    >scan?

    Wheneven I'm mucking about in the registry and find weird shit that
    will probably totally **** up everything if I delete it, I export it
    to my desktop, delete it, then reboot and see how things go for a few
    WEEKS. If everything is cool I can delete, if not it's EZ to restore.
    At least it has been so far, but I'm sure there will be a time when I
    do this and will sorely regret it.
    Like dude said (sorta) "If it ain't broke..."

    --

    Turn off that damned internet!
    http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/
    Frosty, Mar 5, 2006
  4. mistletoad Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:46:26 -0600, EApplegate wrote:
    >
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
    >>
    >> There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and
    >> backing up the registry first? The multitude of spyware
    >> scanners and AV programs don't seem to pick up anything.
    >> Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry scan?

    > Version 6 of something. Maybe MS VB, Vista, hard to tell.
    > No need to mess with it if the PC operates ok.

    You must be Microsoft's model of an IDEAL customer.

    To the OP: if you have an disk-imaging program, clean up
    everything in the registry (There are many programs who do a
    pretty good job. The M$ reg cleaner is NOT one of them)(do not
    delete the key in question just in case), delete all temp files,
    just defrag, etc. etc. Then make an image.

    If you don't have an image program, do what the next poster
    suggested.

    Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also be
    suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows XP behind
    your back. It has been called (by people who know a LOT about
    computers) nothing but a big call-home Trojan. That's why I will
    NEVER install it.

    And that's why all M$-manufactured "security" tools are useless,
    as if the daily security bulletins didn't give you enough of a
    clue.
    mistletoad, Mar 5, 2006
  5. Guest

    mistletoad <> wrote in

    > Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also be
    > suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows XP behind
    > your back. It has been called (by people who know a LOT about
    > computers) nothing but a big call-home Trojan. That's why I will
    > NEVER install it.

    so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?
    , Mar 6, 2006
  6. mistletoad Guest

    wrote in

    > mistletoad <> wrote in
    >
    >> Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also
    >> be suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows
    >> XP behind your back. It has been called (by people who
    >> know a LOT about computers) nothing but a big call-home
    >> Trojan. That's why I will NEVER install it.

    > so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?

    If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with some
    98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for my
    purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4 (no
    internet).

    Now, please, show some maturity and restrain yourself from
    flaming.

    Regards.
    mistletoad, Mar 6, 2006
  7. mistletoad Guest

    wrote in

    mistletoad, Mar 6, 2006
  8. Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    (in article <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

    > wrote in
    >
    >> mistletoad <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Cryptic key names/values MAY be innocent but they may also
    >>> be suspect. You guys have NO IDEA what goes on in Windows
    >>> XP behind your back. It has been called (by people who
    >>> know a LOT about computers) nothing but a big call-home
    >>> Trojan. That's why I will NEVER install it.

    >> so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?
    >>

    > If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with some
    > 98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for my
    > purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4 (no
    > internet).

    2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard drive...?;o)
    Margolotta, Mar 7, 2006
  9. mistletoad Guest

    Margolotta <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    > (in article <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
    >
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> mistletoad <> wrote in

    >>> so what do you have installed? Windows 2000?
    >>>

    >> If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with
    >> some 98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for
    >> my purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4
    >> (no internet).

    > 2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard
    > drive...?;o)

    Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know that). I
    wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it) but 98 can only
    use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works fine. Both machines boot
    in under 20 seconds and never crash. Nor do I ever have to do
    the "Windows Update" shit. I'm happy (well, with my machines -
    my life BLOWS). Are you happy?
    mistletoad, Mar 7, 2006
  10. Margolotta Guest

    On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 05:45:13 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    (in article <Xns977EF1B95986Cmistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

    > Margolotta <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    >> (in article <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
    >>
    >>> wrote in

    >>> If you must know, a perectly-tweaked and running 95B (with
    >>> some 98 components) on my old and slow (yet just fine for
    >>> my purposes) internet machine and 98SE Lite on a 2GB P4
    >>> (no internet).

    >> 2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard
    >> drive...?;o)
    >>

    > Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know that). I
    > wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it) but 98 can only
    > use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works fine. Both machines boot
    > in under 20 seconds and never crash. Nor do I ever have to do
    > the "Windows Update" shit. I'm happy (well, with my machines -
    > my life BLOWS). Are you happy?

    I know you did - I was only teasing! ;o) I didn't think you were one of those
    folks who didn't know the difference between GHz and GB (or GB and Gb for
    that matter - and, yes, there is a difference - a huge difference - ones
    eight times bigger than the other).
    Margolotta, Mar 7, 2006
  11. mistletoad Guest

    Margolotta <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 05:45:13 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    > (in article <Xns977EF1B95986Cmistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
    >
    >> Margolotta <> wrote
    >> in news::
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:07:05 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    >>> (in article
    >>> <Xns977EAE34A6330mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

    >>> 2GB - is that the amount of RAM, or the size of the hard
    >>> drive...?;o)
    >>>

    >> Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know
    >> that). I wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it)
    >> but 98 can only use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works
    >> fine. Both machines boot in under 20 seconds and never
    >> crash. Nor do I ever have to do the "Windows Update" shit.
    >> I'm happy (well, with my machines - my life BLOWS). Are
    >> you happy?

    > I know you did - I was only teasing! ;o) I didn't think you
    > were one of those folks who didn't know the difference
    > between GHz and GB (or GB and Gb for that matter - and,
    > yes, there is a difference - a huge difference - ones eight
    > times bigger than the other).

    hee hee
    BTW, sorry about the other post. I sort of knew it couldn't be
    the same person but I was too lazy to check headers. Just in
    case it WAS, I made THIS one >very slightly< hostile, which you
    seem to have taken in stride. (OTOH, there sure are some foul-
    mouthed bots around these days...)

    BION, I never thought about the diff. between GB and Gb... I
    can't recall ever seeing Gb used... I think maybe had I started
    with computers in the 80's? But of course, very valid (albeit
    somewhat academical?) point.

    Regards.
    mistletoad, Mar 7, 2006
  12. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ `~6)t$
    >
    > There are values in it. Should I try deleting it and backing up the
    > registry first? The multitude of spyware scanners and AV programs don't
    > seem to pick up anything. Btw, does Windows Defender do a deep registry
    > scan?

    What exact problem are you having with your PC?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 7, 2006
  13. Margolotta Guest

    On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:47:07 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    (in article <Xns977F77FFC7EF1mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

    > Margolotta <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 05:45:13 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    >> (in article <Xns977EF1B95986Cmistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
    >>
    >>> Margolotta <> wrote
    >>> in news::

    >>> Sorry, I meant to write 2GHz P4 (like you didn't know
    >>> that). I wish I had 2GB of RAM (well, not that I need it)
    >>> but 98 can only use 128. I happen to have 256MB. Works
    >>> fine. Both machines boot in under 20 seconds and never
    >>> crash. Nor do I ever have to do the "Windows Update" shit.
    >>> I'm happy (well, with my machines - my life BLOWS). Are
    >>> you happy?

    >> I know you did - I was only teasing! ;o) I didn't think you
    >> were one of those folks who didn't know the difference
    >> between GHz and GB (or GB and Gb for that matter - and,
    >> yes, there is a difference - a huge difference - ones eight
    >> times bigger than the other).
    >>

    > hee hee
    > BTW, sorry about the other post. I sort of knew it couldn't be
    > the same person but I was too lazy to check headers. Just in
    > case it WAS, I made THIS one >very slightly< hostile, which you
    > seem to have taken in stride. (OTOH, there sure are some foul-
    > mouthed bots around these days...)
    >
    > BION, I never thought about the diff. between GB and Gb... I
    > can't recall ever seeing Gb used... I think maybe had I started
    > with computers in the 80's? But of course, very valid (albeit
    > somewhat academical?) point.
    >
    > Regards.

    It's 'academic' not 'academical' (which isn't even a word ;o)) You're right
    you won't have done - it's not used much -it's the abbreviation for
    'gigabit'. People always think I'm being pedantic when I correct them, but
    the difference *is* important - there are eight bits in a byte (which you
    know, obviously) so, therefore, a gigabit translates into about 128MB - see
    why that little difference can change the whole context?

    If you want there are some good Wikipaedia articles on the topic. Just
    remember that a lowercase 'b' is 'bit' and an uppercase 'byte'.
    Margolotta, Mar 8, 2006
  14. mistletoad Guest

    Margolotta <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:47:07 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    > (in article <Xns977F77FFC7EF1mistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):
    >
    >> Margolotta <> wrote
    >> in news::
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 05:45:13 +0000, mistletoad wrote
    >>> (in article
    >>> <Xns977EF1B95986Cmistlinvalid@216.196.97.135>):

    >>> I know you did - I was only teasing! ;o) I didn't think
    >>> you were one of those folks who didn't know the
    >>> difference between GHz and GB (or GB and Gb for that
    >>> matter - and, yes, there is a difference - a huge
    >>> difference - ones eight times bigger than the other).
    >>>

    >> hee hee
    >> BTW, sorry about the other post. I sort of knew it
    >> couldn't be the same person but I was too lazy to check
    >> headers. Just in case it WAS, I made THIS one >very
    >> slightly< hostile, which you seem to have taken in stride.
    >> (OTOH, there sure are some foul- mouthed bots around these
    >> days...)
    >>
    >> BION, I never thought about the diff. between GB and Gb...
    >> I can't recall ever seeing Gb used... I think maybe had I
    >> started with computers in the 80's? But of course, very
    >> valid (albeit somewhat academical?) point.
    >>
    >> Regards.

    > It's 'academic' not 'academical' (which isn't even a word
    > ;o)) You're right you won't have done - it's not used much
    > -it's the abbreviation for 'gigabit'. People always think
    > I'm being pedantic when I correct them, but the difference
    > *is* important - there are eight bits in a byte (which you
    > know, obviously) so, therefore, a gigabit translates into
    > about 128MB - see why that little difference can change the
    > whole context?
    >
    > If you want there are some good Wikipaedia articles on the
    > topic. Just remember that a lowercase 'b' is 'bit' and an
    > uppercase 'byte'.

    Since I always give hell to idiots who give the "spell-checker"
    as the reason they have M$ Office installed (they can think of
    nothing else because they don't even know what a tab or
    alignment let alone a database are) yet NEVER use it, it is
    fitting someone should finally correct me.

    As befits a good anal-retentive, I immediately checked.

    ac•a•dem•ic (akƒ dem‚ik) adj.Also, aca•dem‚i•cal.1. of or
    pertaining to a school, esp. one for higher education. 2. of or
    pertaining to areas of study that are not primarily vocational
    or applied, as the humanities or pure mathematics. 3.
    theoretical or hypothetical; not practical or directly useful:
    an academic question. 4. learned or scholarly but lacking in
    worldliness, common sense, or practicality. 5. conforming to set
    rules, standards, or traditions; conventional: academic
    painting.

    Still, I appreciate the corrrection and your (somewhat
    exaggerated trust) in my computing knowledge.

    I am geting older and barely can handle the excess of useless
    information in my brain as it is, so probably won't get further
    info, but it WAS interesting having it specifically pointed out.

    Best regards.
    mistletoad, Mar 8, 2006