    the DOWNLOADED FILE - re-downloading and re-installing,...phew. I'm
    running out of options. What is wrong?

    JW

    JW, Dec 18, 2003

  2. JW

    Alan P Guest

    What do you mean? Do you mean that it doesn't open when you click on an web
    page icon, or it won't open by running Mozilla.exe ?

    Alan P, Dec 19, 2003

  3. JW wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:49:13 +0000 (UTC), "Alan P"
    > <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote:
    >

    >>What do you mean? Do you mean that it doesn't open when you click on an web
    >>page icon, or it won't open by running Mozilla.exe ?

    > Mozilla won't run...period. It installs correctly, but just
    > won't open. Neither will Netscape 7.1. I removed Netscape, but I still
    > have the GRE folder as well as some others. It was recommended to
    > REMOVE the GRE folder. What do you think?
    >
    > JW

    If a an NS7.1 installation or a Moz installation won't run after
    installing, one of the first things to look at is corruption in the GRE
    folder. Moz and NS should have their own separate GRE's, stored in the
    same folder, Program Files>>Common Files>>mozilla.org. If neiterh
    program is running, delete both from Add/Remove Programs, delete the
    mozilla.org folder in Program Files, delete the mozilla.org folder in
    Programs Files>>Common Files, then reinstall the aps.

    Note that your profile information is stored separately and will not be
    removed in the uninstall.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 21, 2003
  4. JW

    JW Guest

    JW, Dec 21, 2003
  5. JW wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:42:35 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>If a an NS7.1 installation or a Moz installation won't run after
    >>installing, one of the first things to look at is corruption in the GRE
    >>folder. Moz and NS should have their own separate GRE's, stored in the
    >>same folder, Program Files>>Common Files>>mozilla.org. If neiterh
    >>program is running, delete both from Add/Remove Programs, delete the
    >>mozilla.org folder in Program Files, delete the mozilla.org folder in
    >>Programs Files>>Common Files, then reinstall the aps.
    >>
    >>Note that your profile information is stored separately and will not be
    >>removed in the uninstall.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I received a similar workaround from a Netscape FAQ site. Here
    > is the gist of it:
    > Back up your Profiles Folder(s)
    > Back up your Plugins Folder(s)
    > Using the Add/Remove applet:
    > Uninstall Netscape 7.1
    > Uninstall Mozilla 1.4 (if installed)
    >
    > Delete the following folders:
    > ~\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\
    > ~\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE
    > ~\Program Files\mozilla.org\ (if you unzipped, or installed Mozilla)
    >
    > Clear the C:\WINDOWS\temp folder
    > What bothers me is the last bit, because the Windows\temp folder is ~
    > 76Mg big and contains a host of files. Is it a good idea to CLEAR this
    > folder before re-installing Mozilla?
    >
    > JW

    I never have, though I clear it periodically anyway. Most of what is in
    there has outlived its usefulness. There can be information from
    previous download/installs, and there is a chance, albeit small, that
    there could be a conflict.

    Consider this: if it was that vital, would it be stored in a temp
    folder? Just to be safe, back it up before proceeding.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 22, 2003
  6. JW

    JW Guest

    JW, Dec 22, 2003
  7. JW wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:04:00 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>What bothers me is the last bit, because the Windows\temp folder is ~
    >>>76Mg big and contains a host of files. Is it a good idea to CLEAR this
    >>>folder before re-installing Mozilla?
    >>>
    >>>JW

    >>I never have, though I clear it periodically anyway. Most of what is in
    >>there has outlived its usefulness. There can be information from
    >>previous download/installs, and there is a chance, albeit small, that
    >>there could be a conflict.
    >>
    >>Consider this: if it was that vital, would it be stored in a temp
    >>folder? Just to be safe, back it up before proceeding.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I have done as was suggested by the Netscape FAQ and you.
    > Mozilla 1.5 is now successfully installed and working! Thanks a bunch
    > Lee. BTW, do you know how to EMBED sound in Mozilla 1.5?
    >
    > JW

    What exactly do you mean?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 23, 2003
  8. JW

    JW Guest

    JW, Dec 23, 2003
  9. JW wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:41:02 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> I have done as was suggested by the Netscape FAQ and you.
    >>>Mozilla 1.5 is now successfully installed and working! Thanks a bunch
    >>>Lee. BTW, do you know how to EMBED sound in Mozilla 1.5?
    >>>
    >>>JW

    >>What exactly do you mean?
    >>
    >>Lee

    > When I run my mouse over a link which is supposed to beep with
    > the action, Mozilla (1.5) remains silent, while IE 6 (SP1) and Opera
    > (7) play the sound. How do I EMBED the sound in the HTML code so that
    > Mozilla also recognizes it?
    >
    > JW

    Point me to an example of what you are talking about.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 23, 2003
  10. JW

    JW Guest

    JW, Dec 23, 2003
  11. JW

    JW Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:29:55 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    <> wrote:

    >> When I run my mouse over a link which is supposed to beep with
    >> the action, Mozilla (1.5) remains silent, while IE 6 (SP1) and Opera
    >> (7) play the sound. How do I EMBED the sound in the HTML code so that
    >> Mozilla also recognizes it?
    >>
    >> JW

    >Point me to an example of what you are talking about.
    >
    >Lee

    Go to www.tiferetorganic.com and run your mouse over the
    buttons: COMPANY, PRODUCTS, RECIPES. In IE and Opera, you get a sound
    onMouseOver and onClick. But in Mozilla, there is no sound. Similarly
    in Netscape. So how do you get Mozilla to play the sounds within the
    browser?

    JW

    JW, Dec 23, 2003
  12. JW

    dantu Guest

    JW wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:29:55 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>> When I run my mouse over a link which is supposed to beep with
    >>>the action, Mozilla (1.5) remains silent, while IE 6 (SP1) and Opera
    >>>(7) play the sound. How do I EMBED the sound in the HTML code so that
    >>>Mozilla also recognizes it?
    >>>
    >>>JW
    >>>

    >>Point me to an example of what you are talking about.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > Go to www.tiferetorganic.com and run your mouse over the
    >buttons: COMPANY, PRODUCTS, RECIPES. In IE and Opera, you get a sound
    >onMouseOver and onClick. But in Mozilla, there is no sound. Similarly
    >in Netscape. So how do you get Mozilla to play the sounds within the
    >browser?
    >
    >JW

    It would help if the page was coded correctly

    function MM_controlSound(x, _sndObj, sndFile) { //v3.0
    var i, method = "", sndObj = eval(_sndObj);
    if (sndObj != null) {
    if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape') method = "play";
    else {
    if (window.MM_WMP == null) {
    window.MM_WMP = false;
    for(i in sndObj) if (i == "ActiveMovie") {
    window.MM_WMP = true; break;
    } }
    if (window.MM_WMP) method = "play";
    else if (sndObj.FileName) method = "run";
    } }
    if (method) eval(_sndObj+"."+method+"()");
    else window.location = sndFile;

    So the page doesnt provide for a Mozilla browser, only Netscape
    the browser sniffer needs work to recognize Mozilla

    dantu, Dec 23, 2003
  13. dantu wrote:

    > JW wrote:

    >>> Point me to an example of what you are talking about.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> Go to www.tiferetorganic.com and run your mouse over the
    >> buttons: COMPANY, PRODUCTS, RECIPES. In IE and Opera, you get a sound
    >> onMouseOver and onClick. But in Mozilla, there is no sound. Similarly
    >> in Netscape. So how do you get Mozilla to play the sounds within the
    >> browser?
    >>
    >> JW
    >>

    > It would help if the page was coded correctly
    >
    > function MM_controlSound(x, _sndObj, sndFile) { //v3.0
    > var i, method = "", sndObj = eval(_sndObj);
    > if (sndObj != null) {
    > if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape') method = "play";
    > else {
    > if (window.MM_WMP == null) {
    > window.MM_WMP = false;
    > for(i in sndObj) if (i == "ActiveMovie") {
    > window.MM_WMP = true; break;
    > } }
    > if (window.MM_WMP) method = "play";
    > else if (sndObj.FileName) method = "run";
    > } }
    > if (method) eval(_sndObj+"."+method+"()");
    > else window.location = sndFile;
    >
    > So the page doesnt provide for a Mozilla browser, only Netscape
    > the browser sniffer needs work to recognize Mozilla

    Dan's on the right track. Opera spoofed as Mox responds the same as Moz,
    no sound event on mousover. Opera spoofed as NC4, NC3, or IE6 get
    sounds, as it does when allowed to be itself.

    Moz spoofed as IE or NC4 however, gget no sound events either. FB,
    spoofed as IE6, IE5 or NC4 also gets no sound, so there may be a little
    more to it.

    There are some small errors in the embed code, but nothing that looks
    like a show stopper. I'll try to see if I can take a closer look, but
    I'm no js expert.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 24, 2003
  14. JW

    dantu Guest

    JW wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:07:28 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>Dan's on the right track. Opera spoofed as Mox responds the same as Moz,
    >>no sound event on mousover. Opera spoofed as NC4, NC3, or IE6 get
    >>sounds, as it does when allowed to be itself.
    >>

    > Well, I don't know who spoofed who, but IE an Opera seem to be
    >doing something right.
    >

    >>Moz spoofed as IE or NC4 however, gget no sound events either. FB,
    >>spoofed as IE6, IE5 or NC4 also gets no sound, so there may be a little
    >>more to it.
    >>

    > I don't know what you're trying to say here.
    >

    >>There are some small errors in the embed code, but nothing that looks
    >>like a show stopper. I'll try to see if I can take a closer look, but
    >>I'm no js expert.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > As much as your not a JS expert, I'm less so. :) But
    >seriously Lee, it may be as simple as using the <embed>....</embed>
    >tags properly. I've tried a few variations, but to no avail so far.
    >
    >JW

    The embed tags are meant for NS4x only, they are not the 'standard' as
    defined by w3.org
    they are a kludge developed for NS4x, just as bgnsound was a kludge
    developed for IE.
    The proper (read approved/official) tags are object tags now

    To further confuse the issue, Mozilla recently implemented a limited
    backwards compatibility service of rendering embed, which was not
    intended to actually be carried forward as the new standard, but as more
    of a crutch until sites upgrade to the new object coding.

    dantu, Dec 24, 2003
  15. dantu wrote:
    > JW wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:07:28 GMT, Leonidas Jones
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Dan's on the right track. Opera spoofed as Mox responds the same as
    >>> Moz, no sound event on mousover. Opera spoofed as NC4, NC3, or IE6
    >>> get sounds, as it does when allowed to be itself.
    >>>

    >> Well, I don't know who spoofed who, but IE an Opera seem to be
    >> doing something right.
    >>

    >>> Moz spoofed as IE or NC4 however, gget no sound events either. FB,
    >>> spoofed as IE6, IE5 or NC4 also gets no sound, so there may be a
    >>> little more to it.
    >>>

    >> I don't know what you're trying to say here.
    >>

    >>> There are some small errors in the embed code, but nothing that looks
    >>> like a show stopper. I'll try to see if I can take a closer look, but
    >>> I'm no js expert.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> As much as your not a JS expert, I'm less so. :) But
    >> seriously Lee, it may be as simple as using the <embed>....</embed>
    >> tags properly. I've tried a few variations, but to no avail so far.
    >>
    >> JW
    >>

    > The embed tags are meant for NS4x only, they are not the 'standard' as
    > defined by w3.org
    > they are a kludge developed for NS4x, just as bgnsound was a kludge
    > developed for IE.
    > The proper (read approved/official) tags are object tags now
    >
    > To further confuse the issue, Mozilla recently implemented a limited
    > backwards compatibility service of rendering embed, which was not
    > intended to actually be carried forward as the new standard, but as more
    > of a crutch until sites upgrade to the new object coding.

    Yeah object tags are the new standards, but, in my amateur way, I've
    never been able to make them work.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 24, 2003
  16. JW

    JW Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:28:23 GMT, dantu <> wrote:

    >It would help if the page was coded correctly
    >
    >function MM_controlSound(x, _sndObj, sndFile) { //v3.0
    > var i, method = "", sndObj = eval(_sndObj);
    > if (sndObj != null) {
    > if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape') method = "play";
    > else {
    > if (window.MM_WMP == null) {
    > window.MM_WMP = false;
    > for(i in sndObj) if (i == "ActiveMovie") {
    > window.MM_WMP = true; break;
    > } }
    > if (window.MM_WMP) method = "play";
    > else if (sndObj.FileName) method = "run";
    > } }
    > if (method) eval(_sndObj+"."+method+"()");
    > else window.location = sndFile;
    >
    >So the page doesnt provide for a Mozilla browser, only Netscape
    >the browser sniffer needs work to recognize Mozilla

    The above code looks like character-for-character the same as
    what I already have in the code. So what are you saying exactly?
    Netscape suffers from the same problem as Mozilla.

    JW

    JW, Dec 24, 2003
  17. JW

    JW Guest