strange problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a user (my boss) who has laptop (XP SP1) with a dell truemobile 1300
    b/g wireless card. When he is away from the office, he tells me he gets a
    notification popup that a wireless network named MEEK2002 is available.
    This has shown up at his house, at a client in Oklahoma City and at a client
    here locally. There are no common factors at any of the three locations
    other than him and his computer so I am assuming the problem resides
    somewhere in his laptop. Does anyone have any ideas where I could start
    looking?

    Here's what I know so far:

    I checked the list of preferred networks and it does not show up there.

    Another user was with him the last time this showed up. His computer also
    got the popup telling him that MEEK2002 was available. He connected to it,
    but didn't try to view shared files or anything. He did notice that the
    wireless indicator lights were flashing on both computers.

    I am unable to recreate this issue. I've searched the hard drive and the
    registry and I can't find anything on this computer that refers to MEEK2002.

    I would really appreciate any help at all. It sucks having to tell your
    boss "I don't know why it is doing that".

    Thanks,
    John
    John, Feb 12, 2005

  2. John

    DJ Borell Guest

    DJ Borell, Feb 12, 2005

  3. John

    DJ Borell Guest

    Is your boss', or someone else that's with him, system set up with an Ad Hoc
    network? Given that he's finding the same network in multiple,
    geographically separated, locations, that would be my guess.

    DJ Borell, Feb 12, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for replying.

    First, it happens when he is with staff from the office and it has happened
    when he is at his home (I'm assuming there are no staff members there).
    That leaves his computer. I've never setup a PC as an Ad Hoc network before
    so where do I look to see if it is setup that way?

    John, Feb 14, 2005
  5. John

    DJ Borell Guest

    Right, then that pretty much leaves his own system, which makes sense...

    An Ad hoc network is setup the same way that a standard network is. Looking
    at the properties of his Wireless Network card, go to the "Wireless
    Networks" tab. All networks which have been setup are listed here.
    Obviously, you're looking for the network named "MEEK2002". If it's listed,
    simply remove it and that should resolve his problem.

    If the network is NOT listed in his system, then what I would do is get a
    copy of a program called Ethereal (this is a network packet sniffer), load
    it on another system with a wireless card, and attempt to determine the MAC
    address of the system initiating that connection. (Frankly, the only
    logical answer is that it is your boss' computer).

    There are programs other than Windows networking which can control the
    wireless network settings of the system. It is possible that one of these
    is loaded in the background and not apparent.

    As this is a business computer, this is a security issue. Someone may have,
    either inadvertently or surreptitiously, setup his system with the Ad hoc
    network. If no security was enabled on it, this essentially means that any
    system in range would be able to connect directly to his laptop and possibly
    have access to the entire system. This would fall into the "ungood"
    category.

    Good luck.

    DJ Borell, Feb 14, 2005