Strange Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by santyclaz@gmail.com, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a Sony VAIO Notebook model PCGTR3A that came installed with
    Windows XP Home edition. I installed Windows XP Professional edition
    with Service Pack 2 over the holidays, and lost a bunch of my drivers,
    including all my network adapters, so I couldn't connect to the
    internet. Luckily, it was over the holidays, so I had access to my
    mom's computer to go on the internet in order to download all the
    original drivers from the Sony eSupport site. After installing the
    drivers again, I had no problems connecting to the internet through the
    LAN via an ethernet cable.

    However, after leaving my home and returning back to my place by my
    campus, I discovered that my wireless network connection was having a
    strange problem. Before the holidays (before I installed professional
    edition), I had no problem opening my wireless network connections,
    viewing the available wireless networks, and connecting to the one at
    my place. Now though, I cannot see any of available wireless networks
    when I refresh the network list. Yet, when I check the box
    "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" in the wireless
    network connection properties, I can access the internet (that's the
    reason I am able to write this post today). Despite being able to
    access the internet, I still cannot see any of the wireless networks
    and my computer still tells me I am not connected to any network. I
    have brought my laptop on campus to see whether the same problem would
    occur there, and it did.

    Anyone know how I can fix this problem? I have tried reinstalling the
    original wireless driver a couple times and it fails to work. Does it
    have anything to do with with XP Professional edition? I really would
    like to see the networks I can connect to rather than having my
    computer automatically connect to a random network. Thanks

    , Jan 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    Installing the Drivers probably installed the Sony Wireless Manager too.
    Wireless client can be managed only by one agent. If the Sony Wireless
    utility is ON Windows Zero Configuration is probably turned Off.
    If indeed that happened, and you want to use Windows Zero Configuration, you
    have to Unload the Sony Utility.
    Be careful in some Wireless computer uninstalling the utility uninstall the
    Wireless Drivers as well. So, do some snooping and find away to block the
    Sony Utility to load at Startup rather than Uninstalling it.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 17, 2007

  3. Guest

    Thanks Jack, I'll look into it right away.

    , Jan 17, 2007
  4. Guest

    Hmm, I have located and uninstalled the VAIO Wireless Utility on my
    laptop. I have also restarted the Windows Zero Configuration on my
    computer, but the same thing still occurs: "no wireless networks were
    found in range" despite being able to connect to the internet when I
    refresh the network list.

    One thing has changed though, the tiny wireless connection icon no
    longer has a little red "x" by it, and no longer says "not connected".

    Here is a screen shot:
    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1485/wirelessproblemjz8.png

    Any other feasible solutions or explanations for this problem? Thanks!

    , Jan 17, 2007
  5. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Hmm, I have located and uninstalled the VAIO Wireless Utility on my
    > laptop. I have also restarted the Windows Zero Configuration on my
    > computer, but the same thing still occurs: "no wireless networks were
    > found in range" despite being able to connect to the internet when I
    > refresh the network list.
    >
    > One thing has changed though, the tiny wireless connection icon no
    > longer has a little red "x" by it, and no longer says "not connected".
    >
    > Here is a screen shot:
    > http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1485/wirelessproblemjz8.png
    >
    > Any other feasible solutions or explanations for this problem? Thanks!

    Did you reboot after uninstalling the VAIO wireless utility? And set
    wzcsvc startup type to "automatic"?

    It seems highly unlikely, but perhaps all of the wireless networks in
    range have hidden SSIDs.

    From the screenshot you posted, click on "change the order of preferred
    networks". Do you see a list of networks there? If you don't,
    something really strange is going on.

    In the list of preferred networks, you can delete the ones you do not
    want to connect to, and manually add the one that you do want to connect
    to -- if you know its SSID.

    Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357 and check the files to see
    if you have the WPA2 update. If not, download and install it. This
    should enable the "Choose a wireless network" dialog to show hidden
    SSIDs. It will also allow you to use WPA2 if your hardware and
    drivers/firmware can support it.

    You might also take a look at this KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907405 but I really doubt that your
    issue is caused by a bunch of hidden networks -- especially one with the
    default SSID of "linksys."

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 17, 2007
  6. Guest

    I have set the wzcsvc to "automatic" and rebooted my computer, but the
    same problem occurs. When i go to the "change the order of preferred
    networks" box, but there are no networks listed at all. I tried adding
    "linksys" to the list, but after clicking okay, I simply got
    disconnected from the internet. In addition, when I returned back to
    the "change the order of preferred networks" box, the "linksys" I had
    manually added before was no longer there.

    , Jan 18, 2007
  7. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > I have set the wzcsvc to "automatic" and rebooted my computer, but the
    > same problem occurs. When i go to the "change the order of preferred
    > networks" box, but there are no networks listed at all. I tried adding
    > "linksys" to the list, but after clicking okay, I simply got
    > disconnected from the internet. In addition, when I returned back to
    > the "change the order of preferred networks" box, the "linksys" I had
    > manually added before was no longer there.

    Some of the behavior you describe makes a little sense, but not all of
    it. If there are no entries in the list of preferred networks, checking
    the box to "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" allowed the
    system to look for and connect to the "linksys" network shown in your
    screenshot. But I don't understand why a manually-added preferred
    network should disappear from the list. The usual problem is the
    opposite -- networks that get inadvertently added to the list stay there.

    Perhaps something in WZC has become corrupted. You could try installing
    the WPA2 update I linked in an earlier post and see if that fixes
    things, or you could open a command prompt window and type
    "sfc /scannow" (without quotes; press enter)
    If you do this, you may be prompted to put your XP Pro CD in the drive.

    Alternatively, reinstall the Vaio wireless configuration utility and
    stop wzcsvc and set its start type to manual. Perhaps the Sony utility
    will work properly. You may even find that it has features you like
    that are not available in WZC.

    For future reference, please don't snip material when you reply. It
    makes it harder to understand what's going on, particularly for someone
    else who may not have seen the earlier posts in the thread. Also, if
    you post again on a new topic, make the subject more descriptive, such
    as "list of available networks is blank."

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jan 18, 2007