strange problem with usb hardware

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by MZ, Jun 30, 2009.

  1. MZ

    MZ Guest

    Hello!

    I have got strange problem with my computer.

    I have got 3 usb hardwares plugged into my computer by usb port.
    Two of them are WD 1 TB hardwares which have its own power.
    Second one is WD 250 GB hardware which doesn`t have its own power and it is
    only connected to computer by usb port.

    I have noticed when I have got these 3 hardwares connected to my computer,
    my computer
    doesn`t want to reboot and doesn`t even start. Windows XP Home Edition is
    able to close but
    while showing the first screen (that it is advert of my plugged mainboard)
    while starting
    bios, this first screen is looping and the table which shows me hardwares
    and RAM
    parameters doesn`t show up and finally windows doesn`t start up. Computer is
    looping on the
    first screen. When I unplugged the new second WD 1 TB USB hardware,
    everything is
    ok and system is starting and isn`t looping and the table on the black
    screen is showing up
    and after that Windows logo is showing up and system is loading fine.

    I have found out not satisfying me solution for that.
    When I have these 3 hardwares plugged into computer by USB ports I have to
    turn off the power button which is on the back of my stationary computer)
    and wait
    5 seconds and after that I can turn on the computer and everything
    will start up properly and Windows is showing up and first screen of bios is
    not looping.
    This solution is not good for me because every time I have to move my board
    where
    I have my computer to do it.

    I have also noticed that turning off the power on my extension power sockets
    (I don`t know
    how to write it in English:() doesn`t make a good result, only turning off
    the power
    on the back of my computer and waiting 5 seconds, make a positive result and
    system is
    going through every step of running bios and the Windows system start up
    fine.

    Can you help me how to solve the problem and not to unplugged the hardwares
    before
    the starting or restarting the computer?

    Please help me because I have never seen such problem before.
    heyoo
    MZ, Jun 30, 2009

  2. MZ

    Paul Guest

    MZ wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have got strange problem with my computer.
    >
    > I have got 3 usb hardwares plugged into my computer by usb port.
    > Two of them are WD 1 TB hardwares which have its own power.
    > Second one is WD 250 GB hardware which doesn`t have its own power and it is
    > only connected to computer by usb port.
    >
    > I have noticed when I have got these 3 hardwares connected to my computer,
    > my computer
    > doesn`t want to reboot and doesn`t even start. Windows XP Home Edition is
    > able to close but
    > while showing the first screen (that it is advert of my plugged mainboard)
    > while starting
    > bios, this first screen is looping and the table which shows me hardwares
    > and RAM
    > parameters doesn`t show up and finally windows doesn`t start up. Computer is
    > looping on the
    > first screen. When I unplugged the new second WD 1 TB USB hardware,
    > everything is
    > ok and system is starting and isn`t looping and the table on the black
    > screen is showing up
    > and after that Windows logo is showing up and system is loading fine.
    >
    > I have found out not satisfying me solution for that.
    > When I have these 3 hardwares plugged into computer by USB ports I have to
    > turn off the power button which is on the back of my stationary computer)
    > and wait
    > 5 seconds and after that I can turn on the computer and everything
    > will start up properly and Windows is showing up and first screen of bios is
    > not looping.
    > This solution is not good for me because every time I have to move my board
    > where
    > I have my computer to do it.
    >
    > I have also noticed that turning off the power on my extension power sockets
    > (I don`t know
    > how to write it in English:() doesn`t make a good result, only turning off
    > the power
    > on the back of my computer and waiting 5 seconds, make a positive result and
    > system is
    > going through every step of running bios and the Windows system start up
    > fine.
    >
    > Can you help me how to solve the problem and not to unplugged the hardwares
    > before
    > the starting or restarting the computer?
    >
    > Please help me because I have never seen such problem before.
    > heyoo

    Does the problem exist when the 250GB drive is unplugged ?

    Since the 250GB is "bus powered" from the USB connector, it might
    be loading the power supply too much. Some computers run the USB
    ports, using the +5VSB output of the power supply, and there
    might only be 2 amps available on that rail. (Check the printed
    label on the supply itself, for specifications.) If unplugging
    the 250GB drive helps, then you'd suspect it is a loading issue.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 30, 2009

  3. "MZ" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have got strange problem with my computer.
    >
    > I have got 3 usb hardwares plugged into my computer by usb port.
    > Two of them are WD 1 TB hardwares which have its own power.
    > Second one is WD 250 GB hardware which doesn`t have its own power and it
    > is
    > only connected to computer by usb port.
    >
    > I have noticed when I have got these 3 hardwares connected to my computer,
    > my computer
    > doesn`t want to reboot and doesn`t even start. Windows XP Home Edition is
    > able to close but
    > while showing the first screen (that it is advert of my plugged mainboard)
    > while starting
    > bios, this first screen is looping and the table which shows me hardwares
    > and RAM
    > parameters doesn`t show up and finally windows doesn`t start up. Computer
    > is looping on the
    > first screen. When I unplugged the new second WD 1 TB USB hardware,
    > everything is
    > ok and system is starting and isn`t looping and the table on the black
    > screen is showing up
    > and after that Windows logo is showing up and system is loading fine.
    >
    > I have found out not satisfying me solution for that.
    > When I have these 3 hardwares plugged into computer by USB ports I have to
    > turn off the power button which is on the back of my stationary computer)
    > and wait
    > 5 seconds and after that I can turn on the computer and everything
    > will start up properly and Windows is showing up and first screen of bios
    > is not looping.
    > This solution is not good for me because every time I have to move my
    > board where
    > I have my computer to do it.
    >
    > I have also noticed that turning off the power on my extension power
    > sockets (I don`t know
    > how to write it in English:() doesn`t make a good result, only turning off
    > the power
    > on the back of my computer and waiting 5 seconds, make a positive result
    > and system is
    > going through every step of running bios and the Windows system start up
    > fine.
    >
    > Can you help me how to solve the problem and not to unplugged the
    > hardwares before
    > the starting or restarting the computer?
    >
    > Please help me because I have never seen such problem before.
    > heyoo

    What Paul said.

    And a little bit more.

    I think you are pulling down the USB power too far and this is causing your
    problems. The 1Tb drives have their own power supplies, but they still draw
    from the USB bus, and the 250G drive gets all of its power from the USB bus,
    along with your USB printer, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, perhaps the
    USB-connected bluetooth, and so on.

    USB power is a specification, I'm not sure what it is and don't much care
    for now. But the thought occurs to me that you have too many devices -- the
    various HDDs being the main problems -- connected to the power bus.

    I agree with Paul, for now the solution is to turn off the drives --
    disconnect them -- before changing the state of the power on the machine.
    You _may_ find a new power supply that is capable of making more power
    solves the problem of stalling the boot and shut down sequences. Until you
    find a power supply, I suggest planning to disconnect the drives before you
    shut down, and connect them after you start up.
    Jeff Strickland, Jun 30, 2009
  4. MZ

    baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> [...]

    > still draw from the USB bus, and the 250G drive gets all of its power
    > from the USB bus, along with your USB printer, wireless keyboard,
    > wireless mouse, perhaps the USB-connected bluetooth, and so on.
    >
    > USB power is a specification, I'm not sure what it is and don't much
    > care for now. But the thought occurs to me that you have too many
    > devices -- the various HDDs being the main problems -- connected to
    > the power bus.
    >
    > I agree with Paul, for now the solution is to turn off the drives --
    > disconnect them -- before changing the state of the power on the
    > machine. You _may_ find a new power supply that is capable of making
    > more power solves the problem of stalling the boot and shut down
    > sequences. Until you find a power supply, I suggest planning to
    > disconnect the drives before you shut down, and connect them after you

    Maximum current per USB port is 500ma (half an amp). Less through a
    hub. For instance a two port hub will supply the full 500ma if only a
    single device is plugged in or 250ma per device if two are plugged in.
    Just divide 500ma by the number of ports in use.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    baron, Jul 1, 2009