    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 8, 2008

  2. Dave Saville

    Tim Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
    > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
    > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
    > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
    > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
    > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
    > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
    > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
    > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

    There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem

    1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
    (BYE) message or not.

    2) Ask Voiptalk to look in their logs and see what is going on.

    You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
    any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 8, 2008

  3. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:54:26 UTC, Tim <> wrote:

    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
    > > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
    > > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
    > > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
    > > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
    > > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
    > > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
    > > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
    > > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.
    > >

    > There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem
    >
    > 1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
    > (BYE) message or not.
    >
    > 2) Ask Voiptalk to look in their logs and see what is going on.
    >

    > You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
    > any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

    Thanks for the suggestions Tim. After posting I remembered that I had
    had a similar problem a few weeks back when my wife was in hospital.
    Calling her room via VOIP nearly always did a similar thing. However,
    I can't recall what happened when the call dropped - dial tone or
    whatever. Now what is interesting is that last year she was in the
    same hospital and VOIP worked fine to her room. The difference is that
    then I was using a different DECT phone, a Zyxel ATA and a different
    SIP provider. Talk about changing one thing at a time to debug :)

    I think 1) is favourite - just a bit of recabling to do it. (Have to
    get the base off my switch to a hub so I can trace it.) What does a
    hang up look like? Does it actually say BYE?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 9, 2008
  4. Dave Saville

    Christian Guest

    > What does a hang up look like? Does it actually say BYE?

    Yep, in plain text even :) And WireShark will decode it all nicely for
    you. The whole SIP-protocol is specified here:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261

    Some examples of what you might see come by can be found here:

    If the call hangs up because of a reported error from the other side, you
    will also see the (numerical) SIP-error-code on the display of your
    S450IP-handsets, you don't even need wireshark for that :)

    Christian

    Christian, Apr 9, 2008
  5. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:10:58 UTC, "Christian"
    <> wrote:

    > > What does a hang up look like? Does it actually say BYE?

    > Yep, in plain text even :) And WireShark will decode it all nicely for
    > you. The whole SIP-protocol is specified here:
    >
    > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261
    >
    > Some examples of what you might see come by can be found here:
    >
    > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-24.2
    >
    > If the call hangs up because of a reported error from the other side, you
    > will also see the (numerical) SIP-error-code on the display of your
    > S450IP-handsets, you don't even need wireshark for that :)

    Thanks for that. If I ever get to the bottom of it I will report back.
    Just got to wait for SWMBO to feel poorly and call the Doc :)

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 9, 2008
  6. Dave Saville

    am0000001 Guest

    On Apr 8, 12:54 pm, Tim <> wrote:
    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
    > > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
    > > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
    > > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
    > > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
    > > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
    > > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
    > > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
    > > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

    > There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem
    >
    > 1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
    > (BYE) message or not.
    >
    > 2) AskVoiptalkto look in their logs and see what is going on.
    >
    > You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
    > any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

    Me and my housemates have seen similar behaviour with the S450 when
    dialing numbers answered by PBXes. I've been meaning speak to
    VoIPtalk about it because it's a repeatable problem.

    Next time this happens, I'll make a note of the number and raise it
    with support.

    Tim: do you think this is a VoIPtalk issue or a handset issue (or some
    combination)? It's so repeatable that I can't beleive it's affecting
    all S450 users or all VT users...

    alex
    (ex VoIPtalk staff)

    am0000001, Apr 9, 2008
  7. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:01:43 UTC, am0000001 <> wrote:

    > On Apr 8, 12:54 pm, Tim <> wrote:
    > > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
    > > > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
    > > > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
    > > > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
    > > > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
    > > > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
    > > > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
    > > > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
    > > > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

    > > There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem
    > >
    > > 1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
    > > (BYE) message or not.
    > >
    > > 2) AskVoiptalkto look in their logs and see what is going on.
    > >
    > > You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
    > > any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

    > Me and my housemates have seen similar behaviour with the S450 when
    > dialing numbers answered by PBXes. I've been meaning speak to
    > VoIPtalk about it because it's a repeatable problem.
    >
    > Next time this happens, I'll make a note of the number and raise it
    > with support.
    >
    > Tim: do you think this is a VoIPtalk issue or a handset issue (or some
    > combination)? It's so repeatable that I can't beleive it's affecting
    > all S450 users or all VT users...

    Interesting - So it is not just me :) Thinking about it, and bearing
    in mind that I only have two examples, both of them are the type of
    PBX that first says "If you know the extension you want dial it now"
    followed by a menu etc. Although the cut out only seems to happen a
    few tens of seconds after you have navigated the menus and someone
    actually talks to you.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 10, 2008
  8. Dave Saville

    alex Guest

    On Apr 10, 9:50 am, "Dave Saville" <> wrote:

    > Although the cut out only seems to happen a
    > few tens of seconds after you have navigated the menus and someone
    > actually talks to you.

    Yep. Exactly.

    alex, Apr 10, 2008