Strange problem with Cisco 1900 + Fedora

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by propel, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. propel

    propel Guest

    I'm currently using a Cisco 1900 series switch in my colo. 2 of my
    servers that are currently there are fine. One is running Gentoo,
    while the other has W2K Server. I've tried 3 other separate servers
    running linux and all 3 are experiencing the same problem. The
    problem is that if I console any of the 3 boxes, I can ping out
    perfectly fine. If I try to connect from an outside location, it
    fails. Pings go no where, ssh is not responding, nothing. Now, if I
    connect via terminal services to my W2K server and ping one of the 3
    linux boxes, the pings go through, which then allows me to connect to
    it from an outside location. After 10 minutes or so, the server just
    disappears again and pings are unresponsive. This has been happening
    on 3 servers, of all different hardware types. One is a Supermicro
    SuperServer with a P4SE board, another has a Tyan S2722, and a third
    is some ECS board. I've changed cat5 cables, and ports on the Cisco
    with no luck. I'm pretty much stumped here and was wondering if
    anyone has heard of this problem before. Again, the Gentoo and W2K
    servers are fine, while 3 other Linux (RH9/Fedora) are experiencing
    the problem.
    propel, Jul 15, 2004

  2. propel

    PES Guest

    It has to be something to do with how the linux boxes respond to arps. The
    upstream router is not getting the arp reply properly. I would look at it
    with ethereal and compare it to the arp replies from the windows boxes. If
    they look the same, try plugging the linux box in where the windows box is.

    PES, Jul 15, 2004