Strange problem in IE6

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike T., Feb 4, 2007.

  1. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm using IE6 and have a strange problem. When searching in Google, not
    all of the links work. When I mouse over the link, the address shows up
    in the status bar as normal, but when clicking the link, nothing
    happens. This happens on at least half of the links in the search
    results. This problem ONLY occurs with Google.

    I've added Google to Trusted Sites, and cleared temporary internet
    files.

    I've also:
    - run ipconfig /flushdns
    - Attempted to re-register IE DLLS: urlmon, shdocvw, actxprxy, and
    oleaut32, then rebooted. No change
    - Attempted repair installation of IE using following command:
    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
    %windir%\inf\ie.inf

    I'm out of ideas on this. Does anyone have any others?

    (and yes, I use Firefox at home. This is for my work computer)

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike T., Feb 4, 2007

  2. Mike T.

    Mal Guest

    "Mike T." <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using IE6 and have a strange problem. When searching in Google, not
    > all of the links work. When I mouse over the link, the address shows up
    > in the status bar as normal, but when clicking the link, nothing
    > happens. This happens on at least half of the links in the search
    > results. This problem ONLY occurs with Google.
    >
    > I've added Google to Trusted Sites, and cleared temporary internet
    > files.
    >
    > I've also:
    > - run ipconfig /flushdns
    > - Attempted to re-register IE DLLS: urlmon, shdocvw, actxprxy, and
    > oleaut32, then rebooted. No change
    > - Attempted repair installation of IE using following command:
    > rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
    > %windir%\inf\ie.inf
    >
    > I'm out of ideas on this. Does anyone have any others?
    >
    > (and yes, I use Firefox at home. This is for my work computer)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    Your work system is blocking what is known as referral headers. Google
    makes money and tracks you by sending the request for the page through a
    third party. If you type in the address you will see the page, but clicking
    on the link will show an error or blank page.
    It does it on my home PC and if your security measures are up to date that
    is the correct action you are seeing.
    Google will show results in a certain order depending on who pays the most,
    so to prove people clicked via them they use the referral header system. It
    also targets and tracks you if you're a GMAIL user for example. I use IE7
    and Firefox.
    I also use Zone Alarm and a HOSTS list.

    Mal, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Mal wrote:

    > "Mike T." <> wrote:
    >> I'm using IE6 and have a strange problem. When searching in Google,
    >> not all of the links work. When I mouse over the link, the address
    >> shows up in the status bar as normal, but when clicking the link,
    >> nothing happens. This happens on at least half of the links in the
    >> search results. This problem ONLY occurs with Google.

    Note he said "at least half of the links".

    > Your work system is blocking what is known as referral headers.

    I doubt that is the case. I've constantly got the HTTP_REFERER turned
    off, and Google links work in all my browsers, all the time, all of them
    (that go to existing pages).

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 4, 2007