Strange problem authenticating to a wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by graham.parsons@reflective.com, May 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guys,

    I wonder if anyone has any ideas.

    I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP sp2 with an inbuilt
    wireless capability.

    To connect to 90% of wireless networks, I switch it on, select the
    network, and away we go.

    One of the train operators in the UK offers wireless on board -
    unsecured. Everyone in the coach uses it ok, I get connected, get an
    IP address, can resolve DNS names but cannot ping or do anything more
    with the outside World.

    What always needs to happen is that the operator needs to "manually
    authenticate the laptop to the server" - their words.

    Once this is done, all is fine but it would be good to know why.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers

    Graham

    , May 30, 2007