Strange Photoshop problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Duke, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. The Duke

    The Duke Guest

    I seem to be getting an unexplained interaction with Photoshop 7.0 and
    other programs on my computer. First of all, thumbnails take forever to
    load when I open "My Pictures." Even when I view my pictures as a list
    the Photoshop icon slowly loads on each individual pic. If I try to
    scroll down the list before all the icons are loaded, the computer will
    freeze up or crash.

    Without PS on my computer thumbnails load quickly and the icons have the
    "sailboat with the sunset" icon instead of the Photoshop "eye."

    I was even unable to use Nero 6.0 until I removed PS. Photoshop works
    fine by itself, but it's the way it causes picture (jpegs) lists or
    thumbnails to load that's causing the problems.

    Can someone explain what it is about Photoshop that's bogging everything
    down.

    Thanks in advance,
    Duke

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Duke's Links

    http://www.geocities.com/matrix222/links.html

    The Duke, Oct 7, 2004

  2. The Duke

    Tony Guest

    Photoshop, like every other program that deals with jpgs, takes them over.
    If you re-install your preferred program for viewing jpgs it should take
    charge from Photoshop.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Oct 7, 2004

  3. The Duke

    Mark Mestman Guest

    Probably you can go to the preferences menu in photoshop and deselect
    the file types you don't want photoshop to try to open by default.

    Hope this helps

    Mark

    Mark Mestman, Oct 8, 2004
  4. The Duke

    Guest

    On 7 Oct 2004 18:15:19 -0700, (Mark Mestman)
    wrote:

    >Probably you can go to the preferences menu in photoshop and deselect
    >the file types you don't want photoshop to try to open by default.
    >
    >Hope this helps

    Or, if in WIndows XP -- My Computer >> View >> Folder Options
    >> File Types

    Scroll down to the "JPEG Image" icon(s) -- there may be more
    than one such for different jpeg filetype extensions. Use the Edit...
    button to go in and reassign the program association to your taste.

    , Oct 8, 2004
  5. The Duke

    larry Guest

    Took me forever to figure this out!

    You assigned photoshop as the default program for jpg/bmp/gif, etc.

    Windows uses THAT pgm to create the thumbs.

    Change the default to Microsoft Photo Editor. Right-click any image
    file, click Open With, and assign MS Photo Editor.

    If you don't have Photo Editor, pick another MS editor, and try it.

    larry, Oct 9, 2004