Strange Peer-to-peer problem (W2K)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rifleman, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. rifleman

    rifleman Guest

    I have two laptops networked peer-to-peer via a Netgear hub.
    Both are running the same latest-patched upgraded W2K with the most up to
    date BIOS
    My problem is this: When I click on "My Network Places-Computers near me" on
    the HIGHER-spec machine, the delay in opening the icon is considerable
    (about 25 seconds)
    compared to the LOWER spec machine, where the icon opens almost
    instantaneously.

    The two specs are:

    Machine 1 (Newer) Pentium III(S) 900MHz with 512MB RAM with Intel Pro/100 VE
    adapter

    Machine II Pentium II PE 366 MHz with 192 MB RAM and Intel 8255x based PCI
    Ethernet Adapter

    Can anyone suggest where I might look to find the cause of this
    sluggishness?

    Thanks
    rifleman, Jun 23, 2003

  2. rifleman

    Fred Orton Guest

    I may be off the base here, but I think it is due to the response speeds of
    the machines. The reason the higher speed unit is slower doing the search,
    is that it takes longer for the slower speed unit to respond to the
    information request packet. Conversely, the slower machine appears faster
    in responding, because the information request is handled much more quickly
    by the faster unit.

    One mans opinion...

    Fred.

    Fred Orton, Jun 23, 2003

  3. rifleman

    rifleman Guest

    In news:9NHJa.265922$,
    Fred Orton <> addressed his navel and typed:
    > I may be off the base here, but I think it is due to the response
    > speeds of the machines. The reason the higher speed unit is slower
    > doing the search, is that it takes longer for the slower speed unit
    > to respond to the information request packet. Conversely, the slower
    > machine appears faster in responding, because the information request
    > is handled much more quickly by the faster unit.
    >
    > One mans opinion...
    >
    > Fred.
    >
    > "rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >> I have two laptops networked peer-to-peer via a Netgear hub.
    >> Both are running the same latest-patched upgraded W2K with the most
    >> up to date BIOS
    >> My problem is this: When I click on "My Network Places-Computers
    >> near me" on the HIGHER-spec machine, the delay in opening the icon
    >> is considerable (about 25 seconds)
    >> compared to the LOWER spec machine, where the icon opens almost
    >> instantaneously.
    >>
    >> The two specs are:
    >>
    >> Machine 1 (Newer) Pentium III(S) 900MHz with 512MB RAM with Intel
    >> Pro/100 VE adapter
    >>
    >> Machine II Pentium II PE 366 MHz with 192 MB RAM and Intel 8255x
    >> based PCI Ethernet Adapter
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest where I might look to find the cause of this
    >> sluggishness?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    I hadn't thought of that - you may well be right, all other things being
    equal! I await Yays or Nays with bated breath!
    rifleman, Jun 23, 2003
  4. rifleman

    Gram Guest

    I can only confirm that on a 3 computer network plugged into a router - all
    computers take a considerable period of time to list the entire network. I
    can only suggest that you quick access the PC by its name i.e. Start > Run >
    \\pcname .

    Gram, Jun 23, 2003
  5. rifleman

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... rifleman said:

    > In news:9NHJa.265922$,
    > Fred Orton <> addressed his navel and typed:
    >> I may be off the base here, but I think it is due to the response
    >> speeds of the machines. The reason the higher speed unit is slower
    >> doing the search, is that it takes longer for the slower speed unit
    >> to respond to the information request packet. Conversely, the slower
    >> machine appears faster in responding, because the information request
    >> is handled much more quickly by the faster unit.
    >>
    >> One mans opinion...
    >>
    >> Fred.
    >>
    >> "rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have two laptops networked peer-to-peer via a Netgear hub.
    >>> Both are running the same latest-patched upgraded W2K with the most
    >>> up to date BIOS
    >>> My problem is this: When I click on "My Network Places-Computers
    >>> near me" on the HIGHER-spec machine, the delay in opening the icon
    >>> is considerable (about 25 seconds)
    >>> compared to the LOWER spec machine, where the icon opens almost
    >>> instantaneously.
    >>>
    >>> The two specs are:
    >>>
    >>> Machine 1 (Newer) Pentium III(S) 900MHz with 512MB RAM with Intel
    >>> Pro/100 VE adapter
    >>>
    >>> Machine II Pentium II PE 366 MHz with 192 MB RAM and Intel 8255x
    >>> based PCI Ethernet Adapter
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest where I might look to find the cause of this
    >>> sluggishness?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    > I hadn't thought of that - you may well be right, all other things being
    > equal! I await Yays or Nays with bated breath!

    Lots of things can come into play, I would imagine you use the higher spec
    machine for the majority of the things you do.
    So, you probably have a lot more in your My Documents folder, or maybe much more
    on your desktop, have you tried clearing the cache to see if that makes a
    difference?
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003