strange pc problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by billybronco, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. billybronco

    billybronco Guest

    Hi all,

    I have been handed a PC by a friend to have a look at. The problem started
    about a month ago. He has had the PC for a year from new.

    What happens is that Windows XP Pro loads up ok, then after a few minutes
    the machine will lock up, freeze. Cant move mouse, press any keys, frozen.
    Then if I reset the PC via reset switch, the monitor goes into standby and
    stays like that, and the PC also does nothing, i.e. fans and harddrives are
    whirring like normal but not loading anything. If I switch off at the mains
    and switch back on after a minute its the same, monitor remains black screen
    and in standby and PC powers up as normal but does nothing, no loading
    nothing on display.

    The only way to get the machine up and running is to leave it for at least 2
    days, then switch it on, and its ok for a short while after windows loading,
    then frozen then back to standby.

    Has anyone experience this before?. Can a virus do something like this (I
    doubt it), or is this a hardware fault, if so, whats most suspect?.

    Thanks for any help.
    billybronco, Sep 17, 2004

  2. billybronco

    AG Guest

    "billybronco" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been handed a PC by a friend to have a look at. The problem started
    > about a month ago. He has had the PC for a year from new.
    >
    > What happens is that Windows XP Pro loads up ok, then after a few minutes
    > the machine will lock up, freeze. Cant move mouse, press any keys, frozen.
    > Then if I reset the PC via reset switch, the monitor goes into standby and
    > stays like that, and the PC also does nothing, i.e. fans and harddrives

    are
    > whirring like normal but not loading anything. If I switch off at the

    mains
    > and switch back on after a minute its the same, monitor remains black

    screen
    > and in standby and PC powers up as normal but does nothing, no loading
    > nothing on display.
    >
    > The only way to get the machine up and running is to leave it for at least

    2
    > days, then switch it on, and its ok for a short while after windows

    > then frozen then back to standby.
    >
    > Has anyone experience this before?. Can a virus do something like this (I
    > doubt it), or is this a hardware fault, if so, whats most suspect?.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Check the cooling fans and power supply. Then get back to us.

    AG
    AG, Sep 17, 2004

  3. billybronco

    ImhoTech Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been handed a PC by a friend to have a look at. The problem started
    > about a month ago. He has had the PC for a year from new.
    >
    > What happens is that Windows XP Pro loads up ok, then after a few minutes
    > the machine will lock up, freeze. Cant move mouse, press any keys, frozen.
    > Then if I reset the PC via reset switch, the monitor goes into standby and
    > stays like that, and the PC also does nothing, i.e. fans and harddrives

    are
    > whirring like normal but not loading anything. If I switch off at the

    mains
    > and switch back on after a minute its the same, monitor remains black

    screen
    > and in standby and PC powers up as normal but does nothing, no loading
    > nothing on display.
    >
    > The only way to get the machine up and running is to leave it for at least

    2
    > days, then switch it on, and its ok for a short while after windows

    > then frozen then back to standby.
    >
    > Has anyone experience this before?. Can a virus do something like this (I
    > doubt it), or is this a hardware fault, if so, whats most suspect?.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    No, its not a virus. What have you checked so far?

    My first guess is a failing HD or onboard IDE controller (requiring
    replacement of the motherboard.)

    Check for overheating first, lookng for obvious failed fans, accumulated
    dust, etc.

    Disconnect the drives and boot to the bios, see if it locks up there.

    Run a memory memory test from somewhere like:

    www.simmtester.com

    Report back any additional info you can provide.
    ImhoTech, Sep 17, 2004
  4. billybronco

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:47:06 +0100, "billybronco"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have been handed a PC by a friend to have a look at. The problem started
    >about a month ago. He has had the PC for a year from new.
    >
    >What happens is that Windows XP Pro loads up ok, then after a few minutes
    >the machine will lock up, freeze. Cant move mouse, press any keys, frozen.
    >Then if I reset the PC via reset switch, the monitor goes into standby and
    >stays like that, and the PC also does nothing, i.e. fans and harddrives are
    >whirring like normal but not loading anything. If I switch off at the mains
    >and switch back on after a minute its the same, monitor remains black screen
    >and in standby and PC powers up as normal but does nothing, no loading
    >nothing on display.
    >
    >The only way to get the machine up and running is to leave it for at least 2
    >days, then switch it on, and its ok for a short while after windows loading,
    >then frozen then back to standby.
    >
    >Has anyone experience this before?. Can a virus do something like this (I
    >doubt it), or is this a hardware fault, if so, whats most suspect?.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

    Most common cause seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    clogged or obstructed.
    Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.

    You can also try this to see if it works:
    Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.

    Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.
    Unk, Sep 17, 2004
  5. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:47:06 +0100, "billybronco"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have been handed a PC by a friend to have a look at. The problem started
    >about a month ago. He has had the PC for a year from new.
    >
    >What happens is that Windows XP Pro loads up ok, then after a few minutes
    >the machine will lock up, freeze. Cant move mouse, press any keys, frozen.
    >Then if I reset the PC via reset switch, the monitor goes into standby and
    >stays like that, and the PC also does nothing, i.e. fans

    All fans?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 17, 2004
  6. "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:47:06 +0100, "billybronco"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I have been handed a PC by a friend to have a look at. The problem

    started
    > >about a month ago. He has had the PC for a year from new.
    > >
    > >What happens is that Windows XP Pro loads up ok, then after a few minutes
    > >the machine will lock up, freeze. Cant move mouse, press any keys,

    frozen.
    > >Then if I reset the PC via reset switch, the monitor goes into standby

    and
    > >stays like that, and the PC also does nothing, i.e. fans

    > All fans?
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > >and harddrives are
    > >whirring like normal but not loading anything. If I switch off at the

    mains
    > >and switch back on after a minute its the same, monitor remains black

    screen
    > >and in standby and PC powers up as normal but does nothing, no loading
    > >nothing on display.
    > >
    > >The only way to get the machine up and running is to leave it for at

    least 2
    > >days, then switch it on, and its ok for a short while after windows

    > >then frozen then back to standby.
    > >
    > >Has anyone experience this before?. Can a virus do something like this (I
    > >doubt it), or is this a hardware fault, if so, whats most suspect?.
    > >
    > >Thanks for any help.

    Check for proper grounding on the mainboard... visually inspect that
    something
    didn't get under the main board (evil dust bunnies, friggin screws ( y'know
    the kind that
    people let fall in the case and then wonder where it went).

    If you are using on mainboard video, it could be getiing screwy from heat by
    the cable input.

    try a PCI vid card just for laughs....

    Don't ask me how I know this... I personally thought a Poltergeist had
    settled in the board.

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «bonehead;\), Sep 17, 2004
  7. Hardware fault.

    Remove everything not absolutely essential, see if it helps. If you get
    the system running, run a memory diagnostic, although this doesn't sound
    like a memory problem. Just for the hell of it, replace the CMOS
    battery (it's a longshot, but it's easy and cheap).

    Most likely culprit is the power supply or motherboard, however (and
    unfortunately).

    Barry Watzman, Sep 18, 2004
  8. billybronco

    ProfGene Guest

    Despite the fact you hear fans it might be a heat problem. You could check
    it by running it with the cover off to see if there are any fans not
    running.

    ProfGene, Sep 18, 2004