Strange Linspire Linux and Windows network problem!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Jay Smith, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    Strange things are going on... computers can browse linux shared files,
    through the local network ONLY when connected to the internet..
    when the internet connection is closed.. it takes several minuites to
    see inside the shared folder of the linux machine!

    DETAILS:

    I have set up a linspire box (LINUX) in a network with 5 other computers
    that have windows xp and win98... This network has stiatic addresses,
    XP main machine 192.168.0.1 and the rest 192.168.0.x

    This XP machines is working as an internet connection share machine,
    sharing is internet connection to the others.

    On the Linux machine I have entered this info in the network configuration
    window
    of SAMBA

    IP static 192.168.0.10
    mask 255.255.255.0

    Gateway 192.168.0.1 and DNS servers 192.168.0.1

    Now when I was trying to browse the files from the XP machines to the linux
    machine, it took ages.
    For some other reason someone opened the internet connection and then
    to my amasement the folders could be browsed FAST!

    Is it the extra gateway 192.168.0.1 and dns server settings I gave Linspire
    the problem?
    I would test this on that network, but its not my network and I will have
    access to it in a few days.. I cannot reproduce this problem on my small 2
    computer network at home.
    I will have to know why this is happening!

    I want the linspire box to work on the lan only.. no need for it to browse
    the internet.

    Has anybody seen this before????

    Thanks in advance!

    John Jay Smith, Feb 18, 2006