Strange Internet Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2FsYWh1ZGRpbg==?=, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. I've just built a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ system on a DFI Lanparty UT
    SLI-DR motherboard. I've installed Windows x64 on it and installed only the
    SMBus and IDE nForce4 drivers for x64. I'm using DSL connected through a
    router and into my onboard Marvell Lan port with updated x64 Marvell drivers.
    My connection works perfectly if I plug directly into my old PC.

    Basically, what happens is that when I test the speed of my DSL, I get a
    good 2.5 GB/S rating. But, when I open several windows at once (which is how
    I browse), the internet appears to stall. This is confirmed in Windows Task
    Manager, as the Internet basically has random spikes of data being
    downloaded, but is largely idle.

    When I play Halo online though, the internet works perfectly with a nice
    rectangular curve on Windows Task Manager. And sometimes when I download a
    file form the internet, I get the same nice curve, but other times, I can
    download the EXACT same file, and the connection goes all spiky on me again.

    I did a test in Windows Help and Support Center on my network and my Lan
    port failed DNSServerSearchOrder... and I'm not sure what that means.

    I've disabled the Windows firewall... and there is only one hardware
    firewall built into my router. Again, it works perfectly in my other PC, so
    I doubt that is the issue.

    Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2FsYWh1ZGRpbg==?=, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Install the Nvidia firewall. Then uninstall it.

    Also, I would suggest turning ON the windows firewall.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 9, 2005