    timeouts)
    I would love some advise

    Matthew
    Matthew Henderson, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Matthew Henderson

    Michael-NC Guest

    Try another modem and ISP in that order.

    Get a quality hardware modem as well. Consider a broadband connection.

    "Matthew Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > Ever since I have been using this computer is has indiscriminately
    > disconnected me from the internet. This VERY ANNOYING problem has always
    > puzzled me and I would like to know if anyone has heard of this or has had
    > the problem themselves. Especially I would like to know if anyone has any
    > ideas on haw to fix it. (I'm running a P4, 1.7 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM,

    80
    > GM HD 64 MB Gforce2 graphic card) I replaced the modem a few months ago,

    the
    > new modem was fine for a couple days then it started doing the same thing
    > again.
    > I've narrowed the problem down to the computer itself, having replaced the
    > phone cords, and having it happen on multiple phone jacks in different
    > homes. There is also nothing in my ISP's end that would disconnect me.

    (no

    Michael-NC, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Matthew Henderson

    mark mandel Guest

    > Ever since I have been using this computer is has indiscriminately
    > disconnected me from the internet. This VERY ANNOYING problem has always
    > puzzled me and I would like to know if anyone has heard of this or has had
    > the problem themselves. Especially I would like to know if anyone has any
    > ideas on haw to fix it. (I'm running a P4, 1.7 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM,

    80
    > GM HD 64 MB Gforce2 graphic card) I replaced the modem a few months ago,

    the
    > new modem was fine for a couple days then it started doing the same thing
    > again.
    > I've narrowed the problem down to the computer itself, having replaced the
    > phone cords, and having it happen on multiple phone jacks in different
    > homes. There is also nothing in my ISP's end that would disconnect me.

    (no
    > timeouts)
    > I would love some advise
    >
    > Matthew

    Perhaps getting a static IP instead of DHCP if in fact you have the latter?

    mark mandel, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Matthew Henderson

    Bax Guest

    Have you just recently added Call Waiting to your phone services?

    Bax, Jul 17, 2004
  5. Matthew Henderson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > Perhaps getting a static IP instead of DHCP if in fact you have the
    > latter?

    WTF are you talking about?

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jul 17, 2004
  6. no I haven't
    "Bax" <nowhere, man> wrote in message
    > Have you just recently added Call Waiting to your phone services?

    no I haven't

    Matthew Henderson, Jul 17, 2004
  7. Matthew Henderson

    Pepperoni Guest

    Outlook Express can be twitchy. Go to tools/options/general tab and uncheck
    "send/receive at startup" and "check for messages every -XX- minutes". Then
    on the connection tab, uncheck "hang up after send/receive". Remember to
    hit the "Apply" button.

    I suspect your problem is the OE options. Every time some spam gets to your
    box, the darn thing auto disconnects.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Jul 17, 2004
  8. Matthew Henderson

    mark mandel Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Perhaps getting a static IP instead of DHCP if in fact you have the
    > > latter?
    > >

    > WTF are you talking about?

    In the past when I've had Internet connection problems, I would contact my
    ISP who then assigned me a static IP address and that would resolve the
    issue, K?

    Maybe you aren't aware of the difference between that and DHCP?

    Mark Mandell
    mark mandel, Jul 18, 2004
  9. Matthew Henderson

    Michael-NC Guest

    > "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > > "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Perhaps getting a static IP instead of DHCP if in fact you have the
    > > > latter?
    > > >

    > > WTF are you talking about?

    > In the past when I've had Internet connection problems, I would contact my
    > ISP who then assigned me a static IP address and that would resolve the
    > issue, K?

    Which ISP did that?

    > Maybe you aren't aware of the difference between that and DHCP?

    Yes, he is.
    Michael-NC, Jul 18, 2004
  10. Matthew Henderson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in

    > In the past when I've had Internet connection problems, I would
    > contact my ISP who then assigned me a static IP address and that would
    > resolve the issue, K?

    How the hell is assigning a static IP going to resolve what is obviously
    a dialup connection issue? The problem at hand is clearly the ISP
    itself, or is an issue with the phone lines. Possibly the house wiring,
    possible the phone companies lines, but either way assigning a static IP
    would do absolutely nothing.

    > Maybe you aren't aware of the difference between that and DHCP?

    I've got an in-home DHCP server complete with IP reservations so certain
    machines can still use DHCP (for updates to default gateways, DNS, etc),
    but still can have ports forwarded to them correctly.

    At work I do maintenence on one of our "test bed" rows (basically, like
    12 machines running various OS/Software combinations), and the wireless
    network. That DHCP aspect involves excluding ranges that are statically
    assigned.

    On the client end of things I help dialup customers connect to us and get
    DHCP assigned IP addresses, while I help our DSL customers set up their
    statically assigned addresses.

    We'll leave out the Windows 2000 Server Administration certification that
    is hanging on my wall for now.

    So yes, I'm aware of what DHCP is and the difference between dynamically
    assigned settings and statically configured ones. What is your
    background on troubleshooting dialup problems? Any?

    DeMoN LaG, Jul 18, 2004
  11. Matthew Henderson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    >> In the past when I've had Internet connection problems, I would
    >> contact my ISP who then assigned me a static IP address and that
    >> would resolve the issue, K?

    > Which ISP did that?

    Some of our customers have requested static IPs in the past, and if they
    have a good reason they can get them. How that would stop someone's modem
    from disconnecting, well, Mike I'd say this guy is far smarter than us with
    respect to that. I have no idea how a static IP would make the connection
    any more reliable.

    >> Maybe you aren't aware of the difference between that and DHCP?

    > Yes, he is.

    Fluently, I would say. Thanks!

    DeMoN LaG, Jul 18, 2004
  12. Matthew Henderson

    HC Guest

    I had the same problem a couple of years ago so understand your
    frustration. The ISP would blame Telstra and vice versa and then blame
    my computer, which had settings etc checked and all were OK.

    I changed phone cables within the house, fitted a new battery to a
    cordless phone,disconnected call waiting and an answering
    machine.....none fixed the problem. I rang Telstra again and they sent
    out a linesman who got into the roof and checked the junction box, which
    tested OK. The problem was intermittent which made it more frustrating
    because each time someone had tested yet another 'fault' it would test
    OK and be fine for a few days, then it would start again. Finally one
    Telstra linesman suggested he would change the phone line to the other
    set of 'pairs' cables in the footpath inspection hole several houses
    away. Aha........success at last!! The next suggestion was to make
    changes at the local exchange, but this wasn't necessary. To make it
    easier, each Telstra guy who came would tell me what he had done, thus
    making it easier for the next guy and while all this took 3-4 months
    it's been 100% since the 'pairs' cables were changed. Hope this
    helps......let us know what finally worked for you.

    HC

    HC, Jul 18, 2004
  13. Matthew Henderson

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:17:24 -0600, "Matthew Henderson"
    <> wrote:

    >Ever since I have been using this computer is has indiscriminately
    >disconnected me from the internet.

    Are you simply disconnected from the Internet? Or is your entire
    connection lost?...i.e., do you hafta redial into your ISP?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.
    Trent©, Jul 18, 2004
  14. Matthew Henderson

    Wizard Guest

    90% of modem disconnect problems are the local phone wiring. Start at
    the box outside your house and clean up all connections (bright shiny
    copper) and follow it through out your house and at every jack. If you
    still have problems call the phone company to check your line.

    Wizard, Jul 18, 2004
  15. Matthew Henderson

    Trent© Guest

    On 18 Jul 2004 02:24:43 GMT, DeMoN LaG <> wrote:

    >"Michael-NC" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> In the past when I've had Internet connection problems, I would
    >>> contact my ISP who then assigned me a static IP address and that
    >>> would resolve the issue, K?

    >> Which ISP did that?

    >Some of our customers have requested static IPs in the past, and if they
    >have a good reason they can get them. How that would stop someone's modem
    >from disconnecting, well, Mike I'd say this guy is far smarter than us with
    >respect to that. I have no idea how a static IP would make the connection
    >any more reliable.

    Where did you read that he's dropping a carrier?

    Trent©, Jul 19, 2004