Strange internet problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    For some reason about every 5th to 10th page I try to go to I can not get to
    on the first try. I hit refresh and the page comes up.

    I first thought this was a Windows problem.

    I then Formatted the drive and reinstalled XP. This did not help

    I then thought Hardware. I have been running overclocked so I set everything
    back to stock settings. This did not help.

    I then updated to the most recent bios and reinstalled XP again. This time I
    tried the second eathernet port on the board with all the latest drivers.
    This did not help.

    I then thought maybe it is the router so I unplugged it and tried straight
    to the cable modem. This seemed to solve things so I went and bought a new
    router thinking the router was bad. I hooked up the new one and was back to
    the same problem.

    I then went back straight to the cable modem and the problem was again
    there. I guess I bought a router for nothing.

    Should I try replaceing the cable modem? I am at wits end.

    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Athlon 2100 Xp tb
    256 megs ram
    Win XP

    Help!
    Joe
    Joe, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Joe

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in news:103is4u64j2ac57
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Should I try replaceing the cable modem? I am at wits end.
    >
    > Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    > Athlon 2100 Xp tb
    > 256 megs ram
    > Win XP

    I saw this happen with a Linksys router + 4 port switch. I blamed the ISP.
    I installed a new router and had no problems. Then I went back to the
    Linksys, same problems again. So I flashed the latest BIOS and the problem
    cleared. What might help is knowing what router you are using.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    The original router I thought was bad was a Belkin F5D6231-4, The new one is
    a D-LinkDI 514. Yes they are wireless but I am not using wireless this is
    plugged into to the back of it. And the problem is exactly the same with
    either one.

    Joe

    Joe, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Update More Information

    Today I brought home a spare computer from work. I set it up and plugged it
    into the same router. I then went to the same webpage on both my computer
    and the office computer. I then started clicking links, out of the first 20
    I clicked on my computer 6 failed to open. I then started clicking on the
    other machine and went all the way through the first twenty and up to about
    fifty and got every page on the second computer the first time. I then went
    back and tried clicking more on my computer and continued not getting about
    one in every five pages. I then used a comand prompt to try pinging the site
    I could not reach and I could not ping it from my computer but could from
    the second computer. With a second attempt to ping from my computer it
    pinged fine. I then tried other sites and had more than one that would not
    ping on the first attempt and would on further attempts. All ping attempts
    from the second machine went through the first time. I am now convinced I
    have a hardware problem of some sort but what???

    Things I have tried that had no effect.
    1)New Router
    2)New cables
    3)Updated Bios
    4)Different ram
    5)Board has two ethernet connections built in. Same problem on either.
    6)Different hardrive
    7)Reinstalled windows three times

    Could this be a motherboard or CPU thats all I know thats left but this does
    not seem likely as I have noticed no problems in applications, no blue
    screens, no freeze ups or anything out of the ordinary just this stupid
    inernet problem.

    Joe

    Joe, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Joe

    Wizard Guest

    Re: Update More Information

    My guess is that it is either an IRQ sharing issue of your NIC(s) or a
    networking set up issue. What OS's on each machine?

    Wizard, Feb 24, 2004