    Any suggestions as to what is wrong with the first box? Could a bad power
    supply do that?

    AG

    AG, Feb 20, 2004

  2. AG

    Phenux Guest

    It's possible that the power supply could do that. Also consider if enough
    draw through air is being circulated, check to make sure the cooling fans
    are working right and that nothing is blockin the vents. Hope this helps.

    "AG" <> wrote in message
    > I was trying to get a computer to use two NICs yesterday on an old 233 Mhz
    > AMD machine. Win98 just wouldn't do it even when I used one so I started

    > change hard drives to put in one I could put NT4 on. The drive was hot.
    > Like 120° F or so. I went and got another computer and put the drive in

    and
    > installed NT the using the second computer same processor, less RAM and

    it's

    Phenux, Feb 21, 2004

  3. AG

    AG Guest

    I used canned air to blow everything out before I pulled the old drive with
    Linux on it and put the new one in. The air circulation seemed to be fine.
    It's just a 233 and I've run them with a dead fan before, not for long but
    they will at least start. Nothing else was hot just the drive. At least
    the NT box is up and running so that the experts can get into it and work on
    the wireless LAN AP.
    I can go back to answering customer questions like "Are you having problems?
    My computer says no dial tone." :-(

    AG

    AG, Feb 23, 2004
  4. AG

    Phenux Guest

    I know that you were wondering if it could be a defective power supply, did
    you try swaping power supplies yet? Maybe you had the right idea all along.
    Let me know how it turns out.

    Phenux, Feb 23, 2004
  5. AG

    AG Guest

    I don't have a spare AT PS right now. I used the last one on another old
    box. I'm really trying to get away from the AT boxes. They're SO SLOW
    compared to later processors. I really just wondered if anyone had any
    experience with something like this. Guess not. Sigh......
    I have an ATX power supply tester but with AT I'd rather just get rid of
    those old boxes than spend the money for another tester for outmoded
    equipment.

    AG

    AG, Feb 23, 2004