Strange Happenings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dwacon, May 3, 2005.

  1. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    Noticed a few system freeze-ups lately... any program launched would read
    "not responding." When I had Task Manager up and running, nothing looked
    out of the ordinary but if it wasn't open, I couldn't launch it. Also, the
    PC would not respond to CTRL+ALT+DEL.

    Running Windows Server 2003 SP1 on Dell Precision 420. The only software I
    was able to attribute any errors to was the nVidia drivers -- when disabling
    the nVidia desktop, most of the jam-ups stopped.

    To be safe, ran Ad-Aware SE Professional, Spybot S&D, PestPatrol (and keep
    MemCheck always running) and ran the AV tool in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
    Other than some tracking cookies, no major threats found.

    Recently noticed a fragment of a window on the desktop. It was originally a
    dot that I was able to expand to a small rectangle less in size than the
    mouse cursor. Can't identify what program this belongs to -- but upon
    rebooting it appeared again.

    Can't get any context menus or control menus when right-clicking or
    selecting and hitting any key combinations. Seems some sort of bug is
    running but hard to tell what.

    I'm out of ideas. Any of you out there have anything?

    TIA

    --
    Lovebase Erotica is Back!
    http://www.cafepress.com/dwacon.20934038
    dwacon, May 3, 2005

  2. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    Hmm... as an afterthought... I selected it and hit ALT+F4 and it vanished.
    Looked @ Task Manager processes and didn't detect any change... but maybe
    something didn't catch my eye?

    This is weird!

    dwacon, May 3, 2005