Strange happenings with an external drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
    contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to crank
    up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either in
    explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when I
    booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored from a
    copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error message
    before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I rebooted, and
    got the same error message. Did a system restore to yesterday, which was
    successful, and no longer got the error message. However, still cannot see
    the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes laptop, and it fired up,
    auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so its got to be an issue on my
    computer.
    Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to see
    if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove. Anyone got
    any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if someones
    seen this before, a point in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of settings, etc, was
    working fine when I shut it down last night, and this morning it just isn't.
    Thanks...

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008

  2. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
    > contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
    > crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either
    > in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when
    > I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
    > from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error
    > message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
    > rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
    > yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
    > However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
    > laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
    > its got to be an issue on my computer.
    > Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
    > see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove. Anyone
    > got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if
    > someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
    > appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
    > settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
    > morning it just isn't. Thanks...

    Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the problem,
    and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange showing up
    there. Cheers.

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008

  3. On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:20:13 GMT, Tony in Oz <> wrote in

    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
    >> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
    >> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either
    >> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when
    >> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
    >> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error
    >> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
    >> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
    >> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
    >> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
    >> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
    >> its got to be an issue on my computer.
    >> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
    >> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove. Anyone
    >> got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if
    >> someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
    >> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
    >> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
    >> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
    >>

    > Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the problem,
    > and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange showing up
    > there. Cheers.

    Could the driver have gone titzup?

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 9, 2008
  4. Tony in Oz

    impossible Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
    >> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
    >> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen either
    >> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message when
    >> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
    >> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this error
    >> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
    >> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
    >> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
    >> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
    >> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
    >> its got to be an issue on my computer.
    >> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
    >> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove.
    >> Anyone got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but
    >> if someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
    >> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
    >> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
    >> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
    >>

    > Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
    > problem, and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange
    > showing up there. Cheers.

    This sounds like a registry corruption issue with Explorer. The drive
    clearly works, so try acessing it in a command window. Also, see if it's
    there in Disk Manager (Adminstrative Tools). You don't mention the last time
    you remember succesfully using the external drive in Windows, but I gather
    it was **before** the time of the restore point you used, otherwise you
    wouldn't be here. Do you have any older restore points to try?

    impossible, Sep 9, 2008
  5. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
    >>> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
    >>> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen
    >>> either in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual
    >>> message when I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to
    >>> be restored from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never
    >>> seen this error message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my
    >>> external drive, I rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system
    >>> restore to yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error
    >>> message. However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the
    >>> wifes laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are
    >>> fine, so its got to be an issue on my computer.
    >>> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
    >>> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove.
    >>> Anyone got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it,
    >>> but if someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would
    >>> be appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
    >>> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
    >>> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
    >>>

    >> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
    >> problem, and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange
    >> showing up there. Cheers.
    >>

    > This sounds like a registry corruption issue with Explorer. The drive
    > clearly works, so try acessing it in a command window. Also, see if it's
    > there in Disk Manager (Adminstrative Tools). You don't mention the last
    > time you remember succesfully using the external drive in Windows, but I
    > gather it was **before** the time of the restore point you used, otherwise
    > you wouldn't be here. Do you have any older restore points to try?

    I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And yes
    it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some photos.
    I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree it does
    sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which appeared at
    the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an older computer
    (P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002, and just keep
    adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card. I changed PCI
    slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers, as I thought it
    may have come a bit loose in the slot. But its still not seeing the drive,
    and its also not seeing my pen drive, and my printer, also plugged into it
    is not working either. The next step maybe replacing the USB 2 card, but as
    it all installed ok, I suspect its working. Reckon its worth trying another
    restore point, even though the one I used was well within the time frame
    where I last used it successfully? Cheers... Oh, BTW, I have got my drive
    working in an old USB 1.1 port, but it really should be on USB2, it fires up
    much quicker, so I need to get this working again... Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008
  6. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:20:13 GMT, Tony in Oz <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yesterday my external (storage only) 500 GB drive was working ok. It
    >>> contains all my photos and music, mainly. Today when I turned it on to
    >>> crank up some tunes, it didn't try and autoplay, and can't be seen
    >>> either
    >>> in explorer or disc management. I did however get an unusual message
    >>> when
    >>> I booted up about an error in the registry which needed to be restored
    >>> from a copy or backup, which was successful. I have never seen this
    >>> error
    >>> message before. Once I realised I couldn't see my external drive, I
    >>> rebooted, and got the same error message. Did a system restore to
    >>> yesterday, which was successful, and no longer got the error message.
    >>> However, still cannot see the drive. Removed the drive to the wifes
    >>> laptop, and it fired up, auto-played, and all the contents are fine, so
    >>> its got to be an issue on my computer.
    >>> Running win XP Pro, but thinking about booting to a linux live CD to
    >>> see if I can see it, but I'm a bit unsure of what that will prove.
    >>> Anyone
    >>> got any ideas? Can't find anything useful on the net about it, but if
    >>> someones seen this before, a point in the right direction would be
    >>> appreciated. Nothing comes to mind that I have done in the way of
    >>> settings, etc, was working fine when I shut it down last night, and this
    >>> morning it just isn't. Thanks...
    >>>

    >> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
    >> problem,
    >> and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing strange showing
    >> up
    >> there. Cheers.

    > Could the driver have gone titzup?
    >
    > --
    > - Nic.

    Drivers seem ok, Nic, and as I said in my next post (does that make
    sense?) I have reinstalled the USB 2 card which seemed to go ok...

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008
  7. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > geoff wrote:
    >> Tony in Oz wrote:
    >>> Drivers seem ok, Nic, and as I said in my next post (does that
    >>> make sense?) I have reinstalled the USB 2 card which seemed to go
    >>> ok...

    >> Do other USB devices show up when newly attached ?

    No they don't. As I said before, my pen drive doesn't show up, but
    does on the old USB 1.1 port. My printer also fails to print, initially
    showing up under printers and faxes as offline, once I click it to online, a
    test page fails to print. soon as I hook it into USB 1.1 away it goes...

    >> If so, then it's likely a cable or interface/power/drive problem at
    >> the drive end.
    >>
    >> geoff

    > Oh yeah, and does the drive show on another computer ?
    >
    > g.

    Yep, that was one of the first things I did, it worked fine on the
    wife's laptop, using the same USB cable/ power supply. Is this what you
    meant, or do you mean it might be a problem with the PCI slot for the USB
    card (which I changed). This would indicate its a problem with the card, but
    I suspect not, as it installed ok when I reinstalled it, and all is ok in
    Device manager. I still reckon its a registry error, but not sure how to fix
    it, I'm confident enough editing the registry, but not sure of the keys to
    get into. Failing that a repair install might be the way to go, although a
    little on the drastic side for my liking! Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008
  8. Tony in Oz

    impossible Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Oh, by the way, I have changed USB ports, with no change to the
    >>> problem, and device manager reports all hardware is good, nothing
    >>> strange showing up there. Cheers.
    >>>

    >> This sounds like a registry corruption issue with Explorer. The drive
    >> clearly works, so try acessing it in a command window. Also, see if it's
    >> there in Disk Manager (Adminstrative Tools). You don't mention the last
    >> time you remember succesfully using the external drive in Windows, but I
    >> gather it was **before** the time of the restore point you used,
    >> otherwise you wouldn't be here. Do you have any older restore points to
    >> try?

    > I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And
    > yes it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some
    > photos. I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree
    > it does sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which
    > appeared at the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an
    > older computer (P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002,
    > and just keep adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card.
    > I changed PCI slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers,
    > as I thought it may have come a bit loose in the slot. But its still not
    > seeing the drive, and its also not seeing my pen drive, and my printer,
    > also plugged into it is not working either. The next step maybe replacing
    > the USB 2 card, but as it all installed ok, I suspect its working. Reckon
    > its worth trying another restore point, even though the one I used was
    > well within the time frame where I last used it successfully? Cheers...
    > Oh, BTW, I have got my drive working in an old USB 1.1 port, but it really
    > should be on USB2, it fires up much quicker, so I need to get this working
    > again... Cheers

    You'll need to do a repair installation. Make sure you've slipstreamed SP3
    onto a new installation disk before you start -- that will minimize the
    updates.

    impossible, Sep 9, 2008
  9. Tony in Oz

    Craig Shore Guest

    In article <gakxk.35027$>,
    says...

    > I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And yes
    > it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some photos.
    > I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree it does
    > sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which appeared at
    > the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an older computer
    > (P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002, and just keep
    > adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card. I changed PCI
    > slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers, as I thought it

    Is USB still enabled in your BIOS?

    Craig Shore, Sep 9, 2008
  10. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-09, Tony in Oz <> wrote:

    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> geoff wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Do other USB devices show up when newly attached ?

    > No they don't. As I said before, my pen drive doesn't show up, but
    > does on the old USB 1.1 port. My printer also fails to print, initially
    > showing up under printers and faxes as offline, once I click it to online, a
    > test page fails to print. soon as I hook it into USB 1.1 away it goes...

    Does this not suggest that the USB2 port is dead? Try another USB2 card
    would be my next move, or put it in another PCI slot.

    Gordon, Sep 9, 2008
  11. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    > Does this not suggest that the USB2 port is dead? Try another USB2 card
    > would be my next move, or put it in another PCI slot.

    I said in one of my replies that I did change the PCI slot for the card.
    It saw the ports, installed the drivers, and all installed as it should. For
    this reason, I don't believe the card itself is faulty, as device manager
    sees the ports ok, and they are all looking good there. The error message I
    was getting on start up re the registry recovering tells me it would be a
    registry corruption error, and I think the next move should be to find what
    key in the registry needs editing, deleting or whatever, and doing that.
    Failing that i guess a repair install is the next option....

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008
  12. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gakxk.35027$>,
    > says...
    >
    >> I said in my original post it doesn't show up in disc manager. And
    >> yes
    >> it was working fine last night about 10 pm, I was going through some
    >> photos.
    >> I meant to say that in my OP, but it was implied, I think. I agree it
    >> does
    >> sound like a registry issue, because of the error message which appeared
    >> at
    >> the same time., and its to do with my USB 2 card. Being an older computer
    >> (P4 with 796 MB RAM, and 1.8 GHz, built it myself in 2002, and just keep
    >> adding stuff to it), I have a USB and firewire add on card. I changed PCI
    >> slots, and the machine found it, and installed the drivers, as I thought
    >> it

    > Is USB still enabled in your BIOS?

    I haven't checked that, but I would assume it is, as I haven't disabled
    it in there, and I am the only person who would access the BIOS, and I
    haven't even done that in some time. Also the only thing not appearing to be
    working is the USB2 card. My USB 1.1 ports are working fine. This begs the
    question (or statement) that Gordon suggested, that the card has gone U/S,
    but I don't believe it has, for the reasons listed in the reply to his post.
    C heers..

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008
  13. Tony in Oz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >> Does this not suggest that the USB2 port is dead? Try another USB2
    >> card would be my next move, or put it in another PCI slot.
    >>

    > I said in one of my replies that I did change the PCI slot for the
    > card. It saw the ports, installed the drivers, and all installed as
    > it should. For this reason, I don't believe the card itself is
    > faulty, as device manager sees the ports ok, and they are all looking
    > good there. The error message I was getting on start up re the
    > registry recovering tells me it would be a registry corruption error,
    > and I think the next move should be to find what key in the registry
    > needs editing, deleting or whatever, and doing that. Failing that i
    > guess a repair install is the next option....

    Delete *everything* USB related in Device Manager, defrag then re-boot and
    let XP re-discover and re-instal drivers?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2008
  14. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    > Delete *everything* USB related in Device Manager, defrag then re-boot and
    > let XP re-discover and re-instal drivers?
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Thanks Shaun, I will try this and see what happens. I really would like
    to avoid the repair install if at all possible... Just from the "I don't
    really have time" aspect... However, if I need to do that, then I need to
    do it I guess... Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Sep 9, 2008
  15. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message > Is there another USB
    port (NOT off that card) on the PC that you can plug
    > into ?
    >
    > geoff

    Not another USB2 card, but the USB 1.1 is all working ok. And there are
    no independent USB2 ports, as USB 2 wasn't in common use when I built the
    machine. I only actually added the card about 8 months ago. there are 4
    ports on the card along with 2 firewire ports, and I usually run a 4 port
    unpowered hub off it as well, which I have not got connected at the moment
    till I get this problem sorted. It has all been working perfectly until this
    error message came up about recovering from a registry error. Since the
    system restore, the message hasn't occurred, yet the card still does not
    appear to be working.
    Just having a bit of a think, I will do another restore, but maybe go
    back more than a day, and see what happens... Its something thats easy to
    do, and easily reversible... Stand by...

    Tony in Oz, Sep 10, 2008
  16. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "geoff" <> wrote in message > Is there another USB
    > port (NOT off that card) on the PC that you can plug
    >> into ?
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>

    > Not another USB2 card, but the USB 1.1 is all working ok. And there are
    > no independent USB2 ports, as USB 2 wasn't in common use when I built the
    > machine. I only actually added the card about 8 months ago. there are 4
    > ports on the card along with 2 firewire ports, and I usually run a 4 port
    > unpowered hub off it as well, which I have not got connected at the moment
    > till I get this problem sorted. It has all been working perfectly until
    > this error message came up about recovering from a registry error. Since
    > the system restore, the message hasn't occurred, yet the card still does
    > not appear to be working.
    > Just having a bit of a think, I will do another restore, but maybe go
    > back more than a day, and see what happens... Its something thats easy
    > to do, and easily reversible... Stand by...

    OK, took it back a week... no change. The only thing it did differently
    was installed a USB hub, but its still not seeing anything. I will restore
    it back,. then try Shaun's suggestion of removing all USB stuff from DM,
    then defragging, and reboot. See what happens then... Cheers..

    Tony in Oz, Sep 10, 2008
  17. Tony in Oz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    > "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message > Is there another
    >> USB port (NOT off that card) on the PC that you can plug
    >>> into ?
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Not another USB2 card, but the USB 1.1 is all working ok. And
    >> there are no independent USB2 ports, as USB 2 wasn't in common use
    >> when I built the machine. I only actually added the card about 8
    >> months ago. there are 4 ports on the card along with 2 firewire
    >> ports, and I usually run a 4 port unpowered hub off it as well,
    >> which I have not got connected at the moment till I get this problem
    >> sorted. It has all been working perfectly until this error message
    >> came up about recovering from a registry error. Since the system
    >> restore, the message hasn't occurred, yet the card still does not
    >> appear to be working. Just having a bit of a think, I will do
    >> another restore, but maybe go back more than a day, and see what
    >> happens... Its something thats easy to do, and easily
    >> reversible... Stand by...

    > OK, took it back a week... no change. The only thing it did
    > differently was installed a USB hub, but its still not seeing
    > anything. I will restore it back,. then try Shaun's suggestion of
    > removing all USB stuff from DM, then defragging, and reboot. See what
    > happens then... Cheers..

    Good luck Tony.

    It's looking increasingly like it could be a hardware problem with the card
    itself (except for that strange registry error..).

    If it's not hardware then hopefully deleting all things USB then allowing XP
    to re-build drivers and protocols will fix it.

    If that doesn't work do you have access to another PC you can try the card
    in? That would give a definitive answer. It'd be a shame to replace the card
    only to find it's fine. Those cards aren't cheap. I was concerned to see
    that you were running an unpowered hub off it, those things aren't good,
    they can overload the power feed circuit of the USB controller if connected
    devices call for more power than it can easilly provide. Having four USB
    ports and two Firewire ports on it is already pulling a lot of power from
    the PCI slot (if most or all are connected to devices).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2008
  18. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    >> OK, took it back a week... no change. The only thing it did
    >> differently was installed a USB hub, but its still not seeing
    >> anything. I will restore it back,. then try Shaun's suggestion of
    >> removing all USB stuff from DM, then defragging, and reboot. See what
    >> happens then... Cheers..

    > Good luck Tony.
    >
    > It's looking increasingly like it could be a hardware problem with the
    > card itself (except for that strange registry error..).
    >
    > If it's not hardware then hopefully deleting all things USB then allowing
    > XP to re-build drivers and protocols will fix it.
    >
    > If that doesn't work do you have access to another PC you can try the card
    > in? That would give a definitive answer. It'd be a shame to replace the
    > card only to find it's fine. Those cards aren't cheap. I was concerned to
    > see that you were running an unpowered hub off it, those things aren't
    > good, they can overload the power feed circuit of the USB controller if
    > connected devices call for more power than it can easilly provide. Having
    > four USB ports and two Firewire ports on it is already pulling a lot of
    > power from the PCI slot (if most or all are connected to devices).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    OK, tried uninstalling everything USB from DM, then defragged, and
    rebooted. Nothing has changed. I am starting to think that you are right
    Shaun, and it may be the card has gone U/S on the output side. Replacing the
    card is no problem, but I'll probably have to get into Brisbane or Bundaberg
    to find one, I doubt anyone will have one out here. I don't have easy access
    to another PC to try it out, although that would be ideal, as the wife only
    has a laptop. I guess I'll continue using USB 1 till I can get a replacement
    card. Thanks for the idea. Hows the Puke city, I used to live there till I
    moved here. I heard your getting traffic lights. Thats one thing that drove
    me out, the bloody state of the traffic. Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Sep 10, 2008
  19. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message > Is there another
    >> USB port (NOT off that card) on the PC that you can plug
    >>> into ?
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Not another USB2 card, but the USB 1.1 is all working ok. And
    >> there are no independent USB2 ports, as USB 2 wasn't in common use
    >> when I built the machine. I only actually added the card about 8
    >> months ago. there are 4 ports on the card along with 2 firewire
    >> ports, and I usually run a 4 port unpowered hub off it as well, which
    >> I have not got connected at the moment till I get this problem
    >> sorted. It has all been working perfectly until this error message
    >> came up about recovering from a registry error. Since the system
    >> restore, the message hasn't occurred, yet the card still does not
    >> appear to be working. Just having a bit of a think, I will do
    >> another restore, but maybe go back more than a day, and see what
    >> happens... Its something thats
    >> easy to do, and easily reversible... Stand by...

    > I suspect the USB output side of the PCI card is faulty. USB 1.1
    > 'handling' should not be significantly different to USB-2 as far as the OS
    > goes.
    >

    > geoff

    Thanks Geoff, yeah, I'm suspecting the card now as well... I'll try to
    find one to replace it with and see what happens... Thanks for the

    Tony in Oz, Sep 10, 2008
  20. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message > Is there another USB
    >> port (NOT off that card) on the PC that you can plug
    >>> into ?
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Not another USB2 card, but the USB 1.1 is all working ok. And there
    >> are no independent USB2 ports, as USB 2 wasn't in common use when I built
    >> the machine. I only actually added the card about 8 months ago. there are
    >> 4 ports on the card along with 2 firewire ports, and I usually run a 4
    >> port unpowered hub off it as well, which I have not got connected at the
    >> moment till I get this problem sorted. It has all been working perfectly
    >> until this error message came up about recovering from a registry error.
    >> Since the system restore, the message hasn't occurred, yet the card still
    >> does not appear to be working.
    >> Just having a bit of a think, I will do another restore, but maybe go
    >> back more than a day, and see what happens... Its something thats easy
    >> to do, and easily reversible... Stand by...

    > There are usually a number of fuses on USB cards.
    >
    > I prefer them to have one fuse per port but I've seen cards with one fuse
    > for the lot.
    >
    > If you plug in a mouse, does it light up ?

    Good simple test Mark! Never thought of it! I plugged in a mouse and it
    doesn't light up, indicating no power getting to it?
    Now, let me get my glasses and the fuse wire... !!

    Tony in Oz, Sep 10, 2008