    before, if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its side.
    I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be
    anything amiss.

    Dylan, Sep 27, 2007

  2. Dylan

    who'sthat Guest

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:59:37 GMT, "Dylan" <> wrote:

    >After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the tower
    >on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard drive,
    >restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I set the tower
    >upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the Invalid Disk error again.
    >After several attempts at reseating the IDE I discovered that the pc will
    >only startup when the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever came across this
    >before, if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its side.
    >I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be
    >anything amiss.

    Still sounds like something's loose. Open the case and unhook
    EVERYTHING and then put it back together.

    who'sthat, Sep 27, 2007

  3. Dylan

    ded Guest

    "Dylan" <> wrote in message
    > After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the
    > tower on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard
    > drive, restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I set
    > the tower upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the Invalid Disk
    > error again. After several attempts at reseating the IDE I discovered that
    > the pc will only startup when the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever
    > came across this before, if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the
    > tower on its side. I have checked everything inside the tower, there
    > doesn't seem to be anything amiss.

    I would say it is definately a hardware issue. But only you can examine
    for flaky connections.
    Just one example from possible hundreds, a small crack in a circuit
    on the MoBo, with tower upright the weight of MoBo/components
    cause the crack to part enough for circuit to be broken, but when laid
    flat - no stress and circuit made? Carefully examine the MoBo circuits
    for any obvious fractures etc. Specifically the IDE socket on MoBo -
    this will require looking at the underside of MoBo to check that all
    links/joints are secure etc.

    ded, Sep 27, 2007
  4. Dylan

    Dylan Guest

    "who'sthat" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:59:37 GMT, "Dylan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the
    >>tower
    >>on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard drive,
    >>restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I set the
    >>tower
    >>upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the Invalid Disk error
    >>again.
    >>After several attempts at reseating the IDE I discovered that the pc will
    >>only startup when the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever came across
    >>this
    >>before, if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its
    >>side.
    >>I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be
    >>anything amiss.

    > Still sounds like something's loose. Open the case and unhook
    > EVERYTHING and then put it back together.

    I stripped everything out and put it all in again with the same results.
    Thank you for the response.

    Dylan, Sep 27, 2007
  5. Dylan

    Dylan Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message

    > "Dylan" <> wrote in message
    >> After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the
    >> tower on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard
    >> drive, restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I set
    >> the tower upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the Invalid Disk
    >> error again. After several attempts at reseating the IDE I discovered
    >> that the pc will only startup when the tower is on its side. Has anyone
    >> ever came across this before, if so is there a remedy to it besides
    >> keeping the tower on its side. I have checked everything inside the
    >> tower, there doesn't seem to be anything amiss.

    > I would say it is definately a hardware issue. But only you can examine
    > for flaky connections.
    > Just one example from possible hundreds, a small crack in a circuit
    > on the MoBo, with tower upright the weight of MoBo/components
    > cause the crack to part enough for circuit to be broken, but when laid
    > flat - no stress and circuit made? Carefully examine the MoBo circuits
    > for any obvious fractures etc. Specifically the IDE socket on MoBo -
    > this will require looking at the underside of MoBo to check that all
    > links/joints are secure etc.

    I took the motherboard out and checked for anything unusual, dry spots on
    the soldering etc didn't notice any cracks but what you say does make a lot
    of sense. I'm going to have a further more in-depth check. Thank you.

    Dylan, Sep 27, 2007
  6. Dylan

    Alfred Guest

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:59:37 GMT, "Dylan" <> wrote:

    >After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the tower
    >on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard drive,
    >restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I set the tower
    >upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the Invalid Disk error again.
    >After several attempts at reseating the IDE I discovered that the pc will
    >only startup when the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever came across this
    >before, if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its side.
    >I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be
    >anything amiss.

    Sounds like there is something loose that only comes apart at that
    angle. Could be something in a sealed area. Most likely a dry joint on
    a connector that is getting pulled one way at one angle and another at
    the other angle. Could try checking the joints on the HD connection
    strip but try another cable first.

    As an aside, I recall when HDs were still a fairly new thing and came
    in the size of the shorter Oxford dictionary it was recommended to
    format them in the position they would be used. Supposedly the heads
    could slip enough to throw off the reading if the angle was altered. I
    have no idea whether that was true or not though.

    Alfred, Sep 27, 2007
  7. Dylan

    who'sthat Guest

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:43:37 GMT, "Dylan" <> wrote:

    >"who'sthat" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:59:37 GMT, "Dylan" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the
    >>>tower
    >>>on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard drive,
    >>>restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I set the
    >>>tower
    >>>upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the Invalid Disk error
    >>>again.
    >>>After several attempts at reseating the IDE I discovered that the pc will
    >>>only startup when the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever came across
    >>>this
    >>>before, if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its
    >>>side.
    >>>I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be
    >>>anything amiss.

    >> Still sounds like something's loose. Open the case and unhook
    >> EVERYTHING and then put it back together.

    >I stripped everything out and put it all in again with the same results.
    >Thank you for the response.

    Including the RAM? Do you have a spare power cord? Maybe the plug into
    the wall?

    who'sthat, Sep 27, 2007
  8. "Dylan" <> wrote in

    > After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put
    > the tower on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for
    > the hard drive, restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no
    > problems. I set the tower upright and the pc restarted on its own,
    > I got the Invalid Disk error again. After several attempts at
    > reseating the IDE I discovered that the pc will only startup when
    > the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever came across this before,
    > if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its
    > side. I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't
    > seem to be anything amiss.

    Could be hard drive problem. Do you have a different drive to try?
    max
    --
    Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
    Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

    What's in a Name?, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Dylan

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Dylan" wrote ...
    > After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put
    > the tower on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the
    > hard drive, restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no
    > problems. I set the tower upright and the pc restarted on its own, I
    > got the Invalid Disk error again. After several attempts at
    > reseating the IDE I discovered that the pc will only startup when
    > the tower is on its side. Has anyone ever came across this before,
    > if so is there a remedy to it besides keeping the tower on its side.
    > I have checked everything inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be
    > anything amiss.

    Is the CPU fan spinning when you put the tower upright?
    Is the PSU fan spinning when the tower is upright?
    Did you move all cables away from the fans?

    Can you hear the hard disk spin up from a cold power up when the tower
    is upright?

    Did you leave a disc in the CD/DVD drive(s) when powering up?

    Did you check the connections for the *outside* cables on the
    backpanel?

    VanguardLH, Sep 27, 2007
  10. Dylan

    chuckcar Guest

    "Dylan" <> wrote in

    > After reinstalling xp on my pc I got the Invalid Disk error. I put the
    > tower on its side, opened it and reseated the IDE ribbon for the hard
    > drive, restarted the pc and it loaded first time with no problems. I
    > set the tower upright and the pc restarted on its own, I got the
    > Invalid Disk error again. After several attempts at reseating the IDE
    > I discovered that the pc will only startup when the tower is on its
    > side. Has anyone ever came across this before, if so is there a remedy
    > to it besides keeping the tower on its side. I have checked everything
    > inside the tower, there doesn't seem to be anything amiss.

    You *did* screw the HD back into it's mounting in the frame with at
    least four screws before you closed the case right?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 27, 2007