Strange ftp problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Hi,

    I'm just downloading some hundreds of files via ftp, and it is sooo slow.
    It's not ordinairy old slow though, I am getting a strange effect. Instead
    of:

    1) my ftp client requests a file
    2) file downloads

    I get this:

    1) my ftp client requests a file
    2) ~15 second pause
    3) file downloads

    The individual files are downloading at close to what my 2mb/s connection
    allows, however, the 15 second pause between each file means that I am going
    to be here all day.

    I've tried with a couple of other ftp clients, additionally I've tried some
    other ftp sites as a comparison, and it's just this site.

    Any ideas?

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Nik Coughlin

    XPD Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm just downloading some hundreds of files via ftp, and it is sooo slow.
    > It's not ordinairy old slow though, I am getting a strange effect.
    > Instead of:
    >
    > 1) my ftp client requests a file
    > 2) file downloads
    >
    > I get this:
    >
    > 1) my ftp client requests a file
    > 2) ~15 second pause
    > 3) file downloads

    Sounds like theyre using an anti-leech/attack sort of system.... which site
    is it ? Ill give it a shot and see if I get same thing

    XPD, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm just downloading some hundreds of files via ftp, and it is sooo
    >> slow. It's not ordinairy old slow though, I am getting a strange
    >> effect. Instead of:
    >>
    >> 1) my ftp client requests a file
    >> 2) file downloads
    >>
    >> I get this:
    >>
    >> 1) my ftp client requests a file
    >> 2) ~15 second pause
    >> 3) file downloads

    > Sounds like theyre using an anti-leech/attack sort of system.... which
    > site is it ? Ill give it a shot and see if I get same thing

    Unfortunately it's a clients site, needs login. I agree, it does sound like
    some anti-attack type system (not being a public server it's unlikely to be
    anti-leech). It's a pain in the arse. Just noticed that it's a Windows box
    (identifies itself as NT), shouldn't make any difference though should it?

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm just downloading some hundreds of files via ftp, and it is sooo
    > slow. It's not ordinairy old slow though, I am getting a strange
    > effect. Instead of:
    >
    > 1) my ftp client requests a file
    > 2) file downloads
    >
    > I get this:
    >
    > 1) my ftp client requests a file
    > 2) ~15 second pause
    > 3) file downloads
    >
    > The individual files are downloading at close to what my 2mb/s
    > connection allows, however, the 15 second pause between each file
    > means that I am going to be here all day.
    >
    > I've tried with a couple of other ftp clients, additionally I've
    > tried some other ftp sites as a comparison, and it's just this site.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Turned passive mode off and it flies. WTF?

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Nik Coughlin

    David Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm just downloading some hundreds of files via ftp, and it is sooo
    >> slow. It's not ordinairy old slow though, I am getting a strange
    >> effect. Instead of:
    >>
    >> 1) my ftp client requests a file
    >> 2) file downloads
    >>
    >> I get this:
    >>
    >> 1) my ftp client requests a file
    >> 2) ~15 second pause
    >> 3) file downloads
    >>
    >> The individual files are downloading at close to what my 2mb/s
    >> connection allows, however, the 15 second pause between each file
    >> means that I am going to be here all day.
    >>
    >> I've tried with a couple of other ftp clients, additionally I've
    >> tried some other ftp sites as a comparison, and it's just this site.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Turned passive mode off and it flies. WTF?

    Just a guess, but it was probably not set up properly (with the data
    port open). Therefore your client would try to connect to it, and it
    would wait for the connection to time-out before trying an alternative
    method. With passive mode off, the server connects to you.

    David, Mar 29, 2006