Strange Font's in WIN 7 ?..

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    appreciated..

    "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.

    If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    italic's.

    Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".

    course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    wouldn't would they;!..

    So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

    Cheers...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013

  2. In article <>,
    tony sayer <> wrote:
    > "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    > Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.

    You can set the font in FireFox Options Content - think the default is
    Times New Roman, size 16.

    --
    *They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

    Dave Plowman London SW
    To e-mail, change noise into sound.
    Dave Plowman (News), Jan 3, 2013

  3. tony sayer

    Mentalguy2k8 Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    > appreciated..
    >
    > "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    > Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >
    > If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    > font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    > others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    > italic's.
    >
    > Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    > is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    > WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >
    > course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    > wouldn't would they;!..
    >
    > So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    > control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..
    >
    > Cheers...

    I don't have Win7 but it's possible someone has turned something on in your
    accessibility settings to make it easier for "visually impaired" people to
    read screen content.

    eg:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-on-High-Contrast

    Or it could simply be that they've changed your theme:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-desktop-theme
    Mentalguy2k8, Jan 3, 2013
  4. tony sayer

    zulu Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    > appreciated..
    >
    > "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    > Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >
    > If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    > font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    > others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    > italic's.
    >
    > Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    > is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    > WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >
    > course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    > wouldn't would they;!..
    >
    > So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    > control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..
    >
    > Cheers...

    No experience of Win7, I'm still on XP, bit it sounds like someone has been
    playing with *Themes*.
    Won't *System Restore* fix it?

    --
    zulu
    zulu, Jan 3, 2013
  5. tony sayer

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Yes themes are great for bored people to play with are they not. However I'd
    go along with you on the bold font, but why would anyone use italics? There
    are so many roads to this in web browsers, like style sheets, and personal
    prefs etc, but if some non html programs are doing it then it sounds like
    someone has had a lot of fiddling to do. Normally there are defaults you can
    set.

    Brian

    --
    From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

    Brian Gaff, Jan 3, 2013
  6. tony sayer

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 1/3/2013 8:56 AM, John Rumm wrote:
    > On 03/01/2013 13:38, tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    >> appreciated..
    >>
    >> "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    >> Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >>
    >> If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    >> font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    >> others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    >> italic's.
    >>
    >> Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    >> is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    >> WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >>
    >> course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    >> wouldn't would they;!..
    >>
    >> So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    >> control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

    > It may not be the cause of all the things you are seeing, but one simple
    > thing to check is that they have not simply changed the zoom level in
    > firefox, since it remembers your setting for each site. That can make
    > fonts look a bit different. Hold the Ctrl key and press 0 to return to
    > default zoom. (or use + or - or the mouse wheel to shift sizes up and down)

    I had that same problem crop up on the HSM web site. I tried the CTRL-0
    and it restored everything back to normal. I will try to remember the
    trick if I encounter it again.

    Thanks, Paul
    Paul Drahn, Jan 3, 2013
  7. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, tony sayer
    <> scribeth thus

    >Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    >appreciated..
    >
    >"Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    >Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >
    >If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    >font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    >others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    >italic's.
    >
    >Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    >is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    >WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >
    >course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    >wouldn't would they;!..
    >
    >So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    >control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

    Thanks to all who replied. As far as I could make out the themes were as
    they were, zoom as it was and Firefox defaults were as they should be.

    However did a three day rollback and mysteriously all is now as it
    should be:)

    Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

    cheers...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  8. On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
    tony sayer wrote:

    > Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

    Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

    --

    Brian Morrison
    Brian Morrison, Jan 3, 2013
  9. tony sayer

    Huge Guest

    On 2013-01-03, Brian Morrison <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
    > tony sayer wrote:
    >
    >> Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

    > Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

    Give the little sod his own machine, with no admin access.

    --
    Today is Pungenday, the 3rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3179
    Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.
    Huge, Jan 3, 2013
  10. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Brian
    Morrison <> scribeth thus
    >On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >
    >> Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

    >Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...

    Well it was a visitors child who saw this nice PC and thought no one
    would mind as she at a very early age is an expert on computers
    according to her mum;!...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  11. tony sayer wrote:
    > In article <>, Brian
    > Morrison <> scribeth thus
    >> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53 +0000
    >> tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...

    >> Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...
    >>

    > Well it was a visitors child who saw this nice PC and thought no one
    > would mind as she at a very early age is an expert on computers
    > according to her mum;!...

    Just the kind of user the Guest account is ideal for.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.
    John Williamson, Jan 3, 2013
  12. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, John Williamson
    <> scribeth thus
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >> In article <>, Brian
    >> Morrison <> scribeth thus

    >>> Create a separate user account and this won't happen to you...
    >>>

    >> Well it was a visitors child who saw this nice PC and thought no one
    >> would mind as she at a very early age is an expert on computers
    >> according to her mum;!...

    >Just the kind of user the Guest account is ideal for.

    ;)...

    Well she shouldn't really have been in here but shes was only little,
    and a very bright kid too.

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  13. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Phil W Lee
    <> scribeth thus
    >tony sayer <> considered Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:00:53
    >+0000 the perfect time to write:
    >
    >>In article <>, tony sayer
    >><> scribeth thus
    >>>
    >>>Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    >>>appreciated..
    >>>
    >>>"Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    >>>Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >>>
    >>>If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    >>>font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    >>>others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    >>>italic's.
    >>>
    >>>Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    >>>is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    >>>WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >>>
    >>>course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    >>>wouldn't would they;!..
    >>>
    >>>So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    >>>control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..

    >>Thanks to all who replied. As far as I could make out the themes were as
    >>they were, zoom as it was and Firefox defaults were as they should be.
    >>
    >>However did a three day rollback and mysteriously all is now as it
    >>should be:)
    >>
    >>Nipper been given a suitable rollicking;!...
    >>
    >>cheers...

    >And what about the person who left the machine in a state that the
    >nipper could play with it?

    Well thats in a bit of the manor where no one normally goes, called the
    daddy sanctuary....

    SWMBO decided to show some visitors in there and whist they were talking
    the "modification work" was carried out 'tho Christ knows what she
    actually did;!...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  14. tony sayer

    Tim Ward Guest

    On 03/01/2013 22:45, tony sayer wrote:

    > SWMBO decided to show some visitors in there and whist they were talking
    > the "modification work" was carried out 'tho Christ knows what she
    > actually did;!...

    So who, other than you, knows your password then??

    (My family have guessed mine, but they know that I will be exceedingly
    displeased if they abuse it. Less trouble to avoid the risk by logging
    in as themselves.)

    --
    Tim Ward
    www.brettward.co.uk
    Tim Ward, Jan 3, 2013
  15. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Tim Ward
    <> scribeth thus
    >On 03/01/2013 22:45, tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >> SWMBO decided to show some visitors in there and whist they were talking
    >> the "modification work" was carried out 'tho Christ knows what she
    >> actually did;!...

    >So who, other than you, knows your password then??

    As said Tim hardly anyone goes in there expect the grumble about the
    mess etc..

    >(My family have guessed mine, but they know that I will be exceedingly
    >displeased if they abuse it. Less trouble to avoid the risk by logging
    >in as themselves.)

    The rest of the crew here have their own machines, they'd have no reason
    to play about with this one except this little miss;!....

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 3, 2013
  16. tony sayer

    Arfa Daily Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Tim Ward
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>On 03/01/2013 22:45, tony sayer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> SWMBO decided to show some visitors in there and whist they were talking
    >>> the "modification work" was carried out 'tho Christ knows what she
    >>> actually did;!...

    >>So who, other than you, knows your password then??

    > As said Tim hardly anyone goes in there expect the grumble about the
    > mess etc..
    >

    >>(My family have guessed mine, but they know that I will be exceedingly
    >>displeased if they abuse it. Less trouble to avoid the risk by logging
    >>in as themselves.)
    >>

    > The rest of the crew here have their own machines, they'd have no reason
    > to play about with this one except this little miss;!....
    >

    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    Both daughters go on my machine when they come round. They insist on going
    on FaceAche or whatever it's called, and I often go back to the machine to
    find all sorts of windows open, but give them their due, they are both
    pretty computer savvy, and have never done anything to screw the machine
    over. They both know that I am extremely fussy about my machine, to the
    point that I will even chastise them if they dare to actually allow a finger
    tip to connect with my screen. I just *hate* having greasy paw prints on it

    My son, on the other hand, genuinely *is* a computer expert, and if I ever
    manage to screw anything up, I just get him round to sort it. On Tony's
    original problem, desktop themes are a bit funny on Win 7. A while back, I
    installed a piece of software that actually ran in a compatibility mode - I
    don't think it liked my 64 bit W7. When this software ran, it changed the
    desktop appearance, and all the fonts went 'odd' and the windows became what
    to me were 'unpleasant' colours - all sorts of shades of blue. Almost looked
    like very early Windows. I didn't actually like the software, as it used to
    leave the desktop like this when you exited it, requiring you to right click
    and go in and reset the default, so I uninstalled it. This has left a
    slightly odd situation behind in that on the (very) odd occasions that I do
    either turn the machine off, or do a re-boot, halfway through, the desktop
    changes, and a Windows warning message comes up to say that something has
    changed it. However, just as the last couple of background-resident programs
    start up and bolt themselves in, one of them puts it back right !

    Arfa
    Arfa Daily, Jan 4, 2013
  17. tony sayer

    Robert Baer Guest

    tony sayer wrote:

    > Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    > appreciated..
    >
    > "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    > Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >
    > If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    > font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    > others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    > italic's.
    >
    > Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    > is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    > WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >
    > course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    > wouldn't would they;!..
    >
    > So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    > control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..
    >
    > Cheers...

    WHAT belongs to "font"??
    Robert Baer, Jan 4, 2013
  18. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <ixsFs.42006$>, Robert Baer
    <> scribeth thus
    >tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't know if anyone has any idea on this but if they have be
    >> appreciated..
    >>
    >> "Someone" has been using my PC and now if I do say a Google search in
    >> Firefox all the results come out in a rather high contrast Bold font.
    >>
    >> If I do the same search in Google Chrome yet again a differing italic
    >> font appears. Some programmes are as they ever where but one or two
    >> others are also coming up in differing size fonts and most often in
    >> italic's.
    >>
    >> Firebox is set to its defaults in options appearances etc, as per what
    >> is on another PC here using XP that looks fine as it ever did but the
    >> WIN 7 machine its all "wrong".
    >>
    >> course no one has admitted doing anything on the machine etc, well they
    >> wouldn't would they;!..
    >>
    >> So any ideas on how to reset to defaults?. FWIW the default fonts in
    >> control panel are set to what Windows thinks best..
    >>
    >> Cheers...
    >>

    > WHAT belongs to "font"??

    Waah!, This is a tad ongoing now but it seems that the default fonts
    were all set as windows intended them to be ..

    Anyways we rolled it back a few days restored, and all is well now
    whatever the original cause was...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jan 5, 2013