    The computer now works better than it has in months! Could a CD problem as
    stated above cause the aforementioned symptoms? It seems very strange to me.

    Mel

    mel, May 3, 2010

  2. On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:41:55 -0400, "mel" <>
    wrote:

    >The computer now works better than it has in months! Could a CD problem as
    >stated above cause the aforementioned symptoms? It seems very strange to me.

    Loose connections can cause performance problems. Read recovery and
    retry can be very involved and slow the whole system down. Even if
    there is no CD in the drive the OS may be having a look at the
    hardware periodically.

    Steve

    EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
    SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
    JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

    Stephen Wolstenholme, May 3, 2010

  3. mel

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:41:55 -0400, "mel" <>wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I've been posting about problems with my Dell Inspiron 2200. In
    >>short, after 6-7 years of no problems, it suddenly started slowing
    >>down, freezing, trouble booting, etc. It got so bad that I often had
    >>to do cold shutdowns.
    >>
    >>Anyway, I tried lots of things, to no avail.
    >>
    >>Last night, I got together with a friend who is not afraid to take
    >>laptops apart. We reseated whatever could be reseated although we
    >>didn't find anything amiss. However, he did find that the CD drive was
    >>quite "loose." He removed the drive and put it back in.

    > Describe "loose"
    >
    > Loose as in mounting to the chassis?
    > Loose as in the 50 pin IDE and 4 pin power connectors?
    > Loose as in both of the above?

    Loose as in looser?

    --
    <snip>