    have much more experience cleaning up mail files and have never had a
    bookmark problem so am asking for any help that might be out there.
    Thanks in advance if any cures are known. Doug C.

    Doug Chadduck, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Doug Chadduck wrote:
    > Just set up whole new XP Home, with all updates, harddrive with a virgin
    > brand new Firefox download. The only thing I brought from old set-up was
    > the bookmark folder which I brought in via copy and paste. Everything
    > came in and works fine except for one thing. I can't make changes. When
    > the browser is open I can add and/or manage bookmarks but with one small
    > weirdness. I tell it to add a bookmark, or some other where it opens the
    > small dialog box, and I make the change and hit OK and the box stays
    > open and it just looks at me. I have to X out or cancel. When I close
    > and reopen the browser everything is as it was on square one. None of
    > the changes stick. If I never closed the browser all would be fine. I
    > have much more experience cleaning up mail files and have never had a
    > bookmark problem so am asking for any help that might be out there.
    > Thanks in advance if any cures are known. Doug C.

    Check properties on the bookmarks.html file. Is it marked read only?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Doug Chadduck wrote:
    >
    >> Just set up whole new XP Home, with all updates, harddrive with a
    >> virgin brand new Firefox download. The only thing I brought from old
    >> set-up was the bookmark folder which I brought in via copy and paste.
    >> Everything came in and works fine except for one thing. I can't make
    >> changes. When the browser is open I can add and/or manage bookmarks
    >> but with one small weirdness. I tell it to add a bookmark, or some
    >> other where it opens the small dialog box, and I make the change and
    >> hit OK and the box stays open and it just looks at me. I have to X out
    >> or cancel. When I close and reopen the browser everything is as it was
    >> on square one. None of the changes stick. If I never closed the
    >> browser all would be fine. I have much more experience cleaning up
    >> mail files and have never had a bookmark problem so am asking for any
    >> help that might be out there. Thanks in advance if any cures are
    >> known. Doug C.

    > Check properties on the bookmarks.html file. Is it marked read only?
    >
    > Lee

    I bow and humble myself before you.

    OK OK How about 'Sound of hand slapping forehead'?

    It's been a long weekend of new hard drive slave master boot order
    jumpers EIDE cables BIOS Set-up re-install everything and then some and
    on and on and on. Toss a massive I-Tunes Library and Ipod into the mix.
    Not to mention Sims and Lord knows how many expansion packs.

    Thanks again. I needed an easy one to finish off the weekend with.
    Doug C.

    Doug Chadduck, Jan 30, 2006