    press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
    made no difference.

    Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

    charles marsh, May 27, 2006

  2. charles marsh

    Andy Luddy Guest

    charles marsh wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > running version 1.5.0.3
    > I lost the firefox bookmarks a little while ago, managed to get them back
    > from the backup.
    > Now I can't add anything to the bookmarks. Click on bookmark this page,
    > press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
    > made no difference.
    >
    > Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

    If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
    permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, May 27, 2006

  3. No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com

    Many thanks, any other ideas?

    charles marsh, May 27, 2006
  4. charles marsh

    Andy Luddy Guest

    charles marsh wrote:
    > No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com
    >
    > Many thanks, any other ideas?
    >

    > "Andy Luddy" <> wrote in message
    >> charles marsh wrote:
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> running version 1.5.0.3
    >>> I lost the firefox bookmarks a little while ago, managed to get them back
    >>> from the backup.
    >>> Now I can't add anything to the bookmarks. Click on bookmark this page,
    >>> press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
    >>> made no difference.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

    >> If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
    >> permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.

    Hmm. I'd still check the permissions, as if that's it, it's an easy
    fix. Make sore firefox is closed. Then, locate your profile
    (something line C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[randomstring].default), find the file
    bookmarks.html, right click it and select Properties. If the
    "Read-only" attribute is checked, uncheck it. Likewise, check the
    permissions on your profile folder itself.

    BTW, if you are running a sufficiently new edition of Firefox
    (1.5.0.3, not sure about 1.5.0.2), there should be a folder within
    your profile called bookmarkbackups, which has backup copies of your
    bookmarks from the last 5 days. This might be an improvement on the
    version from firefox, if you had added a lot of new ones.

    Andy Luddy, May 27, 2006
  5. "Andy Luddy" <> wrote in message
    > charles marsh wrote:
    >> No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com
    >>
    >> Many thanks, any other ideas?
    >>

    >> "Andy Luddy" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
    >>> permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.
    >>>

    > Hmm. I'd still check the permissions, as if that's it, it's an easy fix.
    > Make sore firefox is closed. Then, locate your profile (something line
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[randomstring].default), find the file
    > bookmarks.html, right click it and select Properties. If the "Read-only"
    > attribute is checked, uncheck it. Likewise, check the permissions on your
    > profile folder itself.
    >
    > BTW, if you are running a sufficiently new edition of Firefox (1.5.0.3,
    > not sure about 1.5.0.2), there should be a folder within your profile
    > called bookmarkbackups, which has backup copies of your bookmarks from the
    > last 5 days. This might be an improvement on the version from firefox, if
    > you had added a lot of new ones.
    >

    > --
    > Andy Luddy
    > Perform appendectomy to reply

    This is getting stranger all the time, all the folders are set to read only
    all the way up to c:\documents and settings.

    When I uncheck the box, click apply and okay, then recheck the permissions,
    they have reset back to read only. Permission won't stay.

    The read-only box is pale green which suggests to that it is acquiring the
    permission from somewhere else!

    bty operating system is xp pro service pack 2 if that helps

    charles marsh, May 27, 2006
  6. charles marsh

    Dan Guest

    just to let you know Dan used to appear as charles marsh (using dad's
    account, finally got round to updating it)

    Dan, May 27, 2006
  7. charles marsh

    Dan Guest

    still got this problem

    any more help would be very greatly appreciated.

    Dan

    Dan, May 29, 2006
  8. charles marsh

    Doug G Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > still got this problem
    >
    > any more help would be very greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Dan
    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >> just to let you know Dan used to appear as charles marsh (using dad's
    >> account, finally got round to updating it)
    >> "charles marsh" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Andy Luddy" <> wrote in message

    >>> This is getting stranger all the time, all the folders are set to read
    >>> only all the way up to c:\documents and settings.
    >>>
    >>> When I uncheck the box, click apply and okay, then recheck the
    >>> permissions, they have reset back to read only. Permission won't stay.
    >>>
    >>> The read-only box is pale green which suggests to that it is acquiring
    >>> the permission from somewhere else!
    >>>
    >>> bty operating system is xp pro service pack 2 if that helps

    It sounds like you're using a Windows 'limited' account. If you are,
    you may be able to work around the restrictions by moving your profile.
    See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    Doug G, May 30, 2006
  9. charles marsh

    icejam

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    run firefox in safemode and reset the bookmark, worked for me for strange bookmark problems

    icejam, Apr 10, 2007
  10. charles marsh

    budmustang

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Those pesky bookmarks

    I get this problem every couple of months. My bookmarks disappear, a bookmark toolbar fixes itself to the top and I get conflicting bookmarks toolbar folders. Then, then when I import the bookmarks from my backup, I get problems when I try to save new bookmarks. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to favour Opera. Re-installing Firefox does nothing to solve the problems. I have to delete the files in the Mozilla folder in the Application Data folder. This unfortunately affects other settings such as themes and add-ons. I'm sure if I knew more about this I could better pin-point the offending files but there you go. I too am using Win XP SP2. Hope this helps, at worst you know it's not just you!

    budmustang, May 4, 2007
  11. charles marsh

    budmustang

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    ...maybe

    Actually, having looked into this a little further, by checking the Error Console under the Tools menu I noticed that the file "localstore.rdf" was causing several errors. Deleting this file (in the Mozilla Applications Data folder) solved the problem concerning adding new bookmarks.

    budmustang, May 4, 2007