    I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
    regularly and nothing wrong shows up.

    rusty
    Rusty, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Rusty

    Yddap Guest

    In news:d8jbcb$s2h$,
    Rusty <> opined very noisily:
    > Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
    > entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
    > are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
    > as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
    >
    > I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
    > regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
    >
    > rusty

    Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
    have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book" ?

    Most common reason
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Rusty

    andy smart Guest

    Yddap wrote:
    > In news:d8jbcb$s2h$,
    > Rusty <> opined very noisily:
    >
    >>Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
    >>entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
    >>are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
    >>as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
    >>
    >>I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
    >>regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
    >>
    >>rusty

    > Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
    > have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book" ?
    >
    > Most common reason

    How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?
    andy smart, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Rusty

    Chris Salter Guest

    andy smart wrote:

    > How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

    I don't know you, yet I'm replying to you.

    Chris
    Chris Salter, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Rusty

    andy smart Guest

    Chris Salter wrote:
    > andy smart wrote:
    >
    >> How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

    > I don't know you, yet I'm replying to you.
    >
    > Chris

    LOL
    Actually no, you're replying to alt.computer.security.

    My interpretation was that the OP had names in his address book which he
    had no knowlege of ever having contacted by email.
    andy smart, Jun 13, 2005
  6. Rusty

    Andrew Wood Guest

    Could the entries have been made if he clicked "Reply to All" and these
    addresses were Cc or Bcc on the original with the "Add addresses..."
    option selected in Outlook?

    Andrew Wood, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    "andy smart" <> wrote in message
    > Yddap wrote:
    >> In news:d8jbcb$s2h$,
    >> Rusty <> opined very noisily:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
    >>>entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
    >>>are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
    >>>as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
    >>>
    >>>I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
    >>>regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
    >>>
    >>>rusty

    >> Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
    >> have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book"
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Most common reason

    > How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

    That was enabled as a couple of people have worked out. It is now unset.
    Many thanks

    The reason I found out, which is not so simple, was that the name shown by
    O.E. when you paste into the addressee box is potentially totally different
    from the name in the email address which it links to. So I tried to send an
    email to colleague first name "xyz", but the associated email address was
    someone in New Zealand who I don't but has the same first name. Then I
    checked the rest of the address book entries and found another four or five
    other people I have no knowledge of. My own "xyz" was listed by surname as
    it happens which fact I had forgotten over the space of a couple of months.

    So I still have no idea how the New Zealand person got there and neither
    does she.

    rusty
    Rusty, Jun 13, 2005
  8. Rusty

    Chris Salter Guest

    andy smart wrote:

    > LOL
    > Actually no, you're replying to alt.computer.security.
    >
    > My interpretation was that the OP had names in his address book which he
    > had no knowlege of ever having contacted by email.

    What an odd name!

    I think the 2nd poster was suggesting that the "Automatic put people"
    option can have side effects. ie. replying to newsgroups, replying to
    alls etc. I haven't used OE in ages so can't comment.

    --
    Chris Salter
    Chris Salter, Jun 13, 2005
  9. Rusty

    BillieBaby Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:32:36 +0100, andy smart
    <> wrote:

    >Yddap wrote:
    >> In news:d8jbcb$s2h$,
    >> Rusty <> opined very noisily:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone explain why my Outlook address book has about half a dozen
    >>>entries for people who I don't know and which I didn't put there. These
    >>>are normal god-fearing honest folk who are as surprised by this
    >>>as myself and are not spoof addresses from spam.
    >>>
    >>>I have Norton antivirus and firewall, run MS antispyware and adaware
    >>>regularly and nothing wrong shows up.
    >>>
    >>>rusty

    >> Look in "Tools / Options / Send "
    >> have you ticked " Automaticly put people I reply to in my Address book" ?
    >>
    >> Most common reason

    >How would the OP have replied to them if they didn't know them?

    .....by clicking on "reply all" in an e-mail. Been there....done that.
    HTH
    BillieBaby, Jun 13, 2005