Strange E-Mails

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Cerebral Believer, Jul 29, 2006.

  1. Anyone have any idea why I keep receiving straneg e-mails like this below?
    Are there any actions I can take to stop this? I keep receiving e-mails
    like this and others where words are strung together, as if by some kind of
    computer trying to tell a story (see example 2). As the e-mails originate
    from different accounts and domains, so I am not having much success in
    blocking them with a filter; they also invariably have attachements. Anyone
    experiencing somehting similar? Anyone with any ideas on this?

    Regards,
    C.B.

    ------- example 1 below (attachment ommitted) -------

    Taking
    name REGION search
    RELEATED
    Pinnacle Liquid Finale
    Mayx Ufatasah Just stuff
    WebHelp feeds
    would charge. Tying knot
    computer
    Center. Help Settings
    Bookmark Serials
    policy Networks Jobs advertise
    ICanType RELEATED TAGS computer
    view certain
    Get answers
    only need. How secure
    Her
    behavior. GIMPOnce
    you. programs
    Cad/Cam Macintosh Audio
    only need. How
    SearchYou
    play music variety sites.
    MSTRKRFT mps Martial Heroes
    Featured Big
    Album
    best fake Check how
    Tools .k Platform
    code of games and hacking Main
    Ultra Visual
    Alias Wavefront Maya
    Programs Buy Developer Education Teaching Tools
    AOL

    ------- example 2 below -------

    I asked him what it was he studied upon.
    He added, they learned much of the bearded mans that came in the boat. says
    I; why, they will eat me if I come there.
    Yes, yes, says he, wish we both there; no wish Friday there, no master
    there.
    , was the great island Trinidad, on the north point of the mouth of the
    river. At last says he, Me see such boat like come to place at my nation.
    me no understand - but why not kill the devil now; not kill great ago?
    I asked him what was the matter with him.
    But as to the sail, that was my particular care. But I must go on with the
    historical part of things, and take every part in its order.
    This did not satisfy Friday; but he returns upon me, repeating my words,
    RESERVE AT LAST!
    Upon this I inquired of him more critically what was become of them.
    So when he was in, I said to him, Well, now, Friday, shall we go to your
    nation? Why, then, said I to him, they will kill you.
    But I wronged the poor honest creature very much, for which I was very sorry
    afterwards.
    But I wronged the poor honest creature very much, for which I was very sorry
    afterwards. He looked very grave, and, with a perfect look of innocence,
    said, All things say O to him. - But why did not your side recover you from
    the hands of your enemies, then?
    He asked me again, Why you angry mad with Friday?
    He added, they learned much of the bearded mans that came in the boat.
    He meant by this, they would be willing to learn.
    Would you turn wild again, eat mens flesh again, and be a savage as you were
    before?
    So when he was in, I said to him, Well, now, Friday, shall we go to your
    nation?
    Yes, he said; the boat full of white mans. So I asked him if he would, and
    if we might venture over in her.
    -------

    Regards,
    C.B.

    Cerebral Believer, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Cerebral Believer

    Ant Guest

    "Cerebral Believer" wrote:

    > Anyone have any idea why I keep receiving straneg e-mails like this
    > below?

    It's called spam.

    > Are there any actions I can take to stop this?

    Use a good end-user spam management tool such as SpamPal.
    http://www.spampal.org/

    > I keep receiving e-mails like this and others where words are strung
    > together, as if by some kind of computer trying to tell a story

    Standard spam gibberish in an attempt to evade filtering on message-
    body content.

    > As the e-mails originate from different accounts and domains,

    I suspect you are thinking the "From" is an indicator of origin. This
    is not the case. It is invariably forged in spam; usually someone
    else's address taken from the spammer's "millions" CD. You need to
    examine the "received" lines in the header to determine origin.

    > so I am not having much success in blocking them with a filter;

    Outlook Express rules are next to useless for dealing with spam.

    Ant, Jul 29, 2006