Strange: drops connection for router but LAN stays up

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kees, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. Kees

    Kees Guest

    Hi there and thanks for reading.
    My config (part of):
    - Desktop PC with LAN connection to router. Router connects to ISP.
    - Same desktop has USB wireless connection stick
    - the wireless connection is bridged (with XP bridge) to the wired
    connection to the router
    - My laptop (Dell Latitude D600) also has a wireless adapter, built-in
    (Intel Pro)
    - 802.11 authentication is disabled for the wireless connections
    - Both machines have XP Pro SP2, both drivers of the wireless devices
    are the latest (signed)

    What happens is:
    - when I connect through the wireless connection on my laptop to the
    desktop (with the wired connections not connected) at regular intervals

    (abt 5-10 minutes) the internet connection drops.
    - while the internet connection is down, the LAN connection between the

    two remains, because I can still transfer files between them
    - I still can ping the desktop but CANNOT ping the router (192.168.0.1)

    anymore
    - after some minutes the internet connection restores and continues to
    work again, and everything can be pinged again
    - then it goes down again (after 5-10 minutes) etc

    Who can help me??

    Thanks a lot !

    Kees (the Netherlands)

    Kees, Sep 2, 2006