Strange download speeds

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kiwiboy, May 4, 2009.

  1. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    Hi there

    We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
    experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
    someone can shed some light on for me.
    The computer I use most of the time is a P4 1.8 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram
    running Windows XP S3.
    When downloading, the download speed is around 16-20 Kbs, and
    sometimes 25Kbs. I can download several files at the same time - all
    at this speed. I have tried it using Opera, Firefox and IE8 and all
    are the same speed. I have run a small program that shows me the
    speed my broadband is going at, it is accurate - as the speed shown
    goes up with each extra download. Also when watching streaming TV, the
    download speed is well over 100Kbs.
    We also have been using a wireless laptop in the house, a Celeron
    1.4Ghz, 512Kb Ram, running Windows XP S2, and that will download (at
    the same time as the desktop is downloading) at about 80Kbs, using
    IE7.
    And yesterday I attached my old iMac, a very old 233Mhz machine, I
    think it has 128Kb Ram, it may have 256Kb, running OS 9.2.2, and that
    was getting download speeds over 100Kbs!!
    Does anyone know why my desktop is getting such low download speeds,
    it is very frustrating.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Cheers

    Troy

    Kiwiboy, May 4, 2009

  2. Kiwiboy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Kiwiboy wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
    > experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
    > someone can shed some light on for me.
    > The computer I use most of the time is a P4 1.8 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram
    > running Windows XP S3.
    > When downloading, the download speed is around 16-20 Kbs, and
    > sometimes 25Kbs. I can download several files at the same time - all
    > at this speed. I have tried it using Opera, Firefox and IE8 and all
    > are the same speed. I have run a small program that shows me the
    > speed my broadband is going at, it is accurate - as the speed shown
    > goes up with each extra download. Also when watching streaming TV, the
    > download speed is well over 100Kbs.
    > We also have been using a wireless laptop in the house, a Celeron
    > 1.4Ghz, 512Kb Ram, running Windows XP S2, and that will download (at
    > the same time as the desktop is downloading) at about 80Kbs, using
    > IE7.
    > And yesterday I attached my old iMac, a very old 233Mhz machine, I
    > think it has 128Kb Ram, it may have 256Kb, running OS 9.2.2, and that
    > was getting download speeds over 100Kbs!!
    > Does anyone know why my desktop is getting such low download speeds,
    > it is very frustrating.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    My first thing would be to look for new drivers for the network card in the
    desktop, maybe even a new network card as they're cheap...

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2009

  3. Kiwiboy

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On May 5, 11:02 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Kiwiboy wrote:
    >

    > > Hi there

    > > We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
    > > experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
    > > someone can shed some light on for me.
    > > The computer I use most of the time is a P4 1.8 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram
    > > running Windows XP S3.
    > > When downloading, the download speed is around 16-20 Kbs, and
    > > sometimes 25Kbs. I can download several files at the same time - all
    > > at this speed. I have tried it using Opera, Firefox and IE8 and all
    > > are the same speed.  I have run a small program that shows me the
    > > speed my broadband is going at, it is accurate - as the speed shown
    > > goes up with each extra download. Also when watching streaming TV, the
    > > download speed is well over 100Kbs.
    > > We also have been using a wireless laptop in the house, a Celeron
    > > 1.4Ghz, 512Kb Ram, running Windows XP S2, and that will download (at
    > > the same time as the desktop is downloading) at about 80Kbs, using
    > > IE7.
    > > And yesterday I attached my old iMac, a very old 233Mhz machine, I
    > > think it has 128Kb Ram, it may have 256Kb, running OS 9.2.2, and that
    > > was getting download speeds over 100Kbs!!
    > > Does anyone know why my desktop is getting such low download speeds,
    > > it is very frustrating.

    > > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > My first thing would be to look for new drivers for the network card in the
    > desktop, maybe even a new network card as they're cheap...
    >
    > Good luck,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
    > he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

    Thanks Shaun, I would look into the drivers when I get home this
    evening

    Kiwiboy, May 5, 2009
  4. Kiwiboy

    Mark C Guest

    Kiwiboy <> wrote in
    om:

    > We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
    > experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
    > someone can shed some light on for me.

    Every Windows OS usually needs TCP tweaking to get the best speeds
    for broadband.

    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
    http://www.speedguide.net:8080/

    Change TCPWindowSize in your registry, either using a tool, or
    manually. I wouldn't bother changing any of the other settings: they
    are likely fine as they are.
    (I would make sure your MTU is set to 1500 or thereabouts.)

    I use DrTCP for my tweaks:
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

    You didn't by any chance a long time ago run a tweaker program that
    optimized your dialup? It may have tuned TCP for dialup speeds, the
    stuff above should fix that.

    Mark

    Mark C, May 5, 2009
  5. On 05 May 2009 03:12:51 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >Kiwiboy <> wrote in
    >om:
    >
    >> We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
    >> experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
    >> someone can shed some light on for me.

    >Every Windows OS usually needs TCP tweaking to get the best speeds
    >for broadband.
    >
    >http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
    >http://www.speedguide.net:8080/
    >
    >Change TCPWindowSize in your registry, either using a tool, or
    >manually. I wouldn't bother changing any of the other settings: they
    >are likely fine as they are.
    >(I would make sure your MTU is set to 1500 or thereabouts.)
    >
    >I use DrTCP for my tweaks:
    >http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
    >
    >You didn't by any chance a long time ago run a tweaker program that
    >optimized your dialup? It may have tuned TCP for dialup speeds, the
    >stuff above should fix that.
    >
    >Mark

    The Vista TCP/IP stack automatically adjusts the window size, so no
    tweaking is normally required. You can notice it doing the adjustment
    as the download speed can start out slow and then speed up
    dramatically after a short while.

    Stephen Worthington, May 8, 2009