strange connection problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, May 22, 2009.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    I recently set up a home network using a linksys router. The desktop is
    wired into the router.

    I have two laptops. Well, I set everything up and it works perfectly. The
    first time using it, I had to enter the passphrase. I did it for each laptop
    and they connected fine and they continue to work fine.

    I then brought home a laptop from work.

    When I search for connections, it correctly identifies my network (call it
    MEL). But when I try and connect, it will not. It says Searching For Mel. I
    can't get it to do anything else. I never get to the passphrase request.

    It must be something with my setup as I can take this work laptop to a
    nearby coffee shop and it connects just fine there.

    Incidentally, my desktop and laptops are all XP Home and the work laptop has
    XP Pro an d it uses Odyssey Client.

    Suggestions?

    Mel

    MZB, May 22, 2009

  2. MZB

    MJP Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    >I recently set up a home network using a linksys router. The desktop is
    >wired into the router.
    >
    > I have two laptops. Well, I set everything up and it works perfectly. The
    > first time using it, I had to enter the passphrase. I did it for each
    > laptop and they connected fine and they continue to work fine.
    >
    > I then brought home a laptop from work.
    >
    > When I search for connections, it correctly identifies my network (call it
    > MEL). But when I try and connect, it will not. It says Searching For Mel.
    > I can't get it to do anything else. I never get to the passphrase request.
    >
    > It must be something with my setup as I can take this work laptop to a
    > nearby coffee shop and it connects just fine there.
    >
    > Incidentally, my desktop and laptops are all XP Home and the work laptop
    > has XP Pro an d it uses Odyssey Client.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Mel

    Are you using WEP or WPA for wireless encryption.
    If using WPA it may be that the wireless adaptor in the laptop you are using
    does not support WPA but does support WEP. And maybe your local coffee shop
    uses WEP.

    MJP, May 22, 2009

  3. MZB

    mel Guest

    That is a thought!! Yes, I do use WPA encryption.

    Mel

    mel, May 22, 2009
  4. MZB

    chuckcar Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in

    > I recently set up a home network using a linksys router. The desktop is
    > wired into the router.
    >
    > I have two laptops. Well, I set everything up and it works perfectly.
    > The first time using it, I had to enter the passphrase. I did it for
    > each laptop and they connected fine and they continue to work fine.
    >
    > I then brought home a laptop from work.
    >
    > When I search for connections, it correctly identifies my network (call
    > it MEL). But when I try and connect, it will not. It says Searching For
    > Mel. I can't get it to do anything else. I never get to the passphrase
    > request.
    >
    > It must be something with my setup as I can take this work laptop to a
    > nearby coffee shop and it connects just fine there.
    >
    > Incidentally, my desktop and laptops are all XP Home and the work laptop
    > has XP Pro an d it uses Odyssey Client.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    What about pinging other computers?

    What about a tracert to other computers?

    Are any computers using a wireless card?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 23, 2009
  5. chuckcar wrote:

    > "MZB" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> .. as I can take this work laptop to a nearby coffee shop and it
    >> connects just fine there.

    > Are any computers using a wireless card?

    Probably.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2009
  6. MZB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 May 2009 23:45:18 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Probably.

    <Hits head against wall>.

    Wow...