Strange Computer Problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Martin Kaufmann, May 24, 2005.

  1. Hi there

    My sister's PC is behaving strangely lately. She just sent me the
    following screenshot:

    http://img269.echo.cx/img269/2416/screenshot0qp.jpg

    Has anyone ever seen something similar to that? Apparently in all
    programmes (Word, Mozilla etc.) these small "icons" are replaced by
    numbers or letters (see red circles in screenshot). In addition to that
    the default font in Word is changed although it still says it's Times
    New Roman.

    Any ideas what could be wrong? I suspect she caught a virus.

    I'm not sure about the system specs. Its a Duron with 128MB RAM running
    under Win98.

    Thanks for your help!

    Cheers,

    Martin

    Martin Kaufmann, May 24, 2005

  2. Martin Kaufmann

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Martin Kaufmann <> wrote in news:429305e5_1@x-
    privat.org:

    > n addition to that
    > the default font in Word is changed although it still says it's Times
    > New Roman.

    Probable Font Corruption. Follow the troubleshooting steps to restore the
    system fonts.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 24, 2005

  3. "Martin Kaufmann" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > My sister's PC is behaving strangely lately. She just sent me the
    > following screenshot:
    >
    > http://img269.echo.cx/img269/2416/screenshot0qp.jpg
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen something similar to that? Apparently in all
    > programmes (Word, Mozilla etc.) these small "icons" are replaced by
    > numbers or letters (see red circles in screenshot).

    Most of these graphical elements are contained in the Marlett.ttf font file
    in your windows\fonts folder. Try replacing it with the file from your
    installation CD.

    Jules Winnfield, May 24, 2005
  4. In article <Xns9660E9F839B4Adaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    >Probable Font Corruption.

    TrueType fonts include a checksum for every table, plus another one over
    the complete font. It should be easy enough to verify these to ensure
    font integrity.

    On second thoughts, maybe not. The number of fonts I've seen distributed
    with bad checksums, because the font makers couldn't figure out how to
    make all the checksums come out correct at once...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 26, 2005