Strange 'cold boot' probs.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Anonymoose, May 3, 2005.

  1. Anonymoose

    Anonymoose Guest

    I usually run my pc 24/7 and only shut it down when I go on my one-weekend a
    month business trip for that weekend. After its been off for a few days and
    I initially fire it up it hangs on post or the screen stays black until i
    hit the reset button, then i can get into the bios. I have to let it 'warm
    up' for about 5-10 minutes and then it will boot normally and run rock solid
    for the next 3 weex. Recently, I did an overhaul on the system. upgraded the
    PSU, chip, mobo, vid card, and ram and I still get the same problem. The
    only things I have not yet swapped out are the hard drives and cd/dvd
    drives. and ideas on this matter greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Old system:
    Cheap-o 400W PSU
    GA-7VT600-1394 motherboard
    Corsair PC3200 Reg. ram 512MBx3
    AMD XP 3200+ (not oc)
    ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro (not oc)

    New system (same drives and case as old)
    Antec Tru 480W PSU
    GA-K8NS Ultra 939 motherboard
    OCZ Non-reg ver 2 dual channel 512MBx4
    AMD64 4000+ (not oc)
    ATI All in Wonder X800XT 256 (not oc)
    Western Dig 36 gig raptor SATA
    Western Dig 120 gig SATA
    Sony DVD ROM
    Plextor DVD +\-R
    Win XP SP2
    And this case:
    http://tinyurl.com/canw3
    Anonymoose, May 3, 2005

  2. Anonymoose

    Anonymoose Guest

    O and just to be a lil more specific, temps aren't an issue. my old sys ran
    roughly 45C and the new stays around 35-40C. thanks again.
    Anonymoose, May 3, 2005

  3. Anonymoose wrote:

    > O and just to be a lil more specific, temps aren't an issue. my old sys
    > ran roughly 45C and the new stays around 35-40C. thanks again.

    Since you even swapped the PSU, there are just the drives left. Might be one
    of them on it's way out, or some stupid bios bug making full initialization
    of the cd/dvd drives necessary (spin up, timeout ...) even when the boot
    order (hopefully adjusted?) tells it to try from SATA first.
    Use your HD manuf. diagnosis tools and (as a independent tool) knoppix live
    cd with smartmontools.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, May 3, 2005
  4. Anonymoose

    Anonymoose Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Since you even swapped the PSU, there are just the drives left. Might be
    > one
    > of them on it's way out, or some stupid bios bug making full
    > initialization
    > of the cd/dvd drives necessary (spin up, timeout ...) even when the boot
    > order (hopefully adjusted?) tells it to try from SATA first.
    > Use your HD manuf. diagnosis tools and (as a independent tool) knoppix
    > live
    > cd with smartmontools.
    > --
    > Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCP VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
    > detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
    > to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Looks like thats it. I let it sit at post (about 9 mins) and watched. It
    finally went thru and did not detect my 120gig sata then locked on bootup.
    Hit the reset button and everything was fine. According to western dig I
    still have 1.5 yrs warr. on this drive. thanks for your info.
    Anonymoose, May 4, 2005