    could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.

    ziggy

    ziggy, Sep 26, 2004

  2. ziggy

    grayghost Guest

    ziggy <> wrote in news:Xns9570D5FE51EF1169495@
    130.133.1.4:

    > Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the monitor
    > or the cat!
    > Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    > minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    > sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    > shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    > already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might be I
    > could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    > but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.
    >
    > ziggy

    Ziggy,

    Perhaps some information on the age of the monitor, the type of monitor,
    etc... that usually helps :)

    I had something similar in a Trinitron monitor I had... started happening a
    couple weeks before it died :-(

    grayghost, Sep 26, 2004

  3. ziggy

    Doug Guest

    yep, sounds like the tube is bout to blow, Might want to prepare to purchase
    a new one soon as they are not worth repairing (unless u can do it yourself)
    due to the cost being about as much as a new one. But then again if ya could
    do it yourself you would not be asking here what the sound is :p

    Seriously tho, it does sound like the monitor is going bad..

    // Doug

    Doug, Sep 26, 2004
  4. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    grayghost <grayghost@binarybrewery_remove_this.com> Only went and
    said news:Xns9570A4041231grayghost@68.1.17.6:

    > ziggy <> wrote in
    > news:Xns9570D5FE51EF1169495@ 130.133.1.4:
    >
    >> Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the
    >> monitor or the cat!
    >> Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >> minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >> sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >> shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >> already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might
    >> be I could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image
    >> quality but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to
    >> occur again.
    >>
    >> ziggy

    > Ziggy,
    >
    > Perhaps some information on the age of the monitor, the type of
    > monitor, etc... that usually helps :)
    >
    > I had something similar in a Trinitron monitor I had... started
    > happening a couple weeks before it died :-(

    This is an old one too, it's an LG Studioworks 221U. I had a fiddle
    yesterday and found that turning the brightness down a tad eased it a
    bit, it's been about 3 minutes now since the last one, see, I'm even
    timing them now ~;0D .......I'm becoming obsessed with it so I think
    I may have to ditch this monitor before it pushes me over the edge!
    I suppose I could play the radio......lol

    ziggy

    ziggy, Sep 26, 2004
  5. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    "Doug" <> Only went and said

    > yep, sounds like the tube is bout to blow, Might want to prepare
    > to purchase a new one soon as they are not worth repairing (unless
    > u can do it yourself) due to the cost being about as much as a new
    > one. But then again if ya could do it yourself you would not be
    > asking here what the sound is :p
    >
    > Seriously tho, it does sound like the monitor is going bad..
    >
    > // Doug

    Yeah, it has that ominous ring about it! Oh well I've been dreaming
    of a nice flat screen and a bit more room for ages. When they go,
    it's not with a bang is it? lol Aww shit, I'll be a nervous wreck
    ~;0D

    ziggy, Sep 26, 2004
  6. ziggy

    Doug Guest

    only if you throw somethin through the screen lol,

    No, should not, but I have seen some peeps get hurt from a monitor
    "impoding" before for no apparent reason, old ones of course, how old did
    you say yours was? :p

    Don't get all freaked out, just letting you know anything is possible, but
    doubt it will shatter on you from burning out.

    // Doug

    Doug, Sep 26, 2004
  7. ziggy

    Doug Guest

    correction > "imploding"

    Doug, Sep 26, 2004
  8. ziggy

    jpredmore Guest

    ziggy wrote:

    >Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the monitor
    >or the cat!
    >Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might be I
    >could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    >but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.
    >
    >ziggy

    Uhm, ziggy, try turning the speaker volume all the way off and see what
    you get for a few hours or so. If your monitor has a speaker,
    well...what can I say? Don't rush out and buy a new one just yet unless
    this is some lame :) excuse to get one o' dem dreamy 17 inchers or it's
    metric equivalent.

    jpredmore, Sep 26, 2004
  9. ziggy

    Doug Guest

    ya, nobody said rush out and buy one lol, just be "prepared" to, I would
    continue using it until it dies,

    But I know he wants that new 17" screen, dont ya?? :)

    Doug, Sep 26, 2004
  10. ziggy

    SyBee© Guest

    "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    > Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the monitor
    > or the cat!
    > Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    > minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    > sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    > shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    > already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might be I
    > could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    > but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.

    I used to get that sound when I ran at 800 x 600 resolution.
    I upped to 1024 x 768 and the sound has never returned.

    SyBee©, Sep 26, 2004
  11. ziggy

    Hamman Guest

    "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    > Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the monitor
    > or the cat!
    > Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    > minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    > sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    > shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    > already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might be I
    > could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    > but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.
    >
    > ziggy

    Sounds like the tubes on the way out.

    **DONT** open the casing and attempt to repair yourself. The electron
    direction coils can hold thir charge of 27,000 volts for several days after
    removing from the mains.

    A couple of people have been hurn from the tube imploding, but its pretty
    rare unless its been dropped / hit.

    Try driving it at the highest refresh and resolution possible; it it happens
    more often then its time to say bye bye.

    hamman

    Hamman, Sep 26, 2004
  12. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    "Hamman" <> Only went and said

    > "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    >> Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the
    >> monitor or the cat!
    >> Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >> minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >> sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >> shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >> already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might
    >> be I could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image
    >> quality but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to
    >> occur again.
    >>
    >> ziggy

    > Sounds like the tubes on the way out.
    >
    > **DONT** open the casing and attempt to repair yourself. The
    > electron direction coils can hold thir charge of 27,000 volts for
    > several days after removing from the mains.
    >
    > A couple of people have been hurn from the tube imploding, but its
    > pretty rare unless its been dropped / hit.
    >
    > Try driving it at the highest refresh and resolution possible; it
    > it happens more often then its time to say bye bye.
    >
    > hamman

    I've fiddled with everything and white has now gone a dingy off white
    colour but seems to have abated! I'll play this one by ear <pun
    definitely intended> for as long as I can get away with
    it.......Might even start a book say 5/1 a week, 10/1 2 weeks, 100/1
    a month lol. So it's under starters orders,
    Thanks all, I think it must be the ghost of Greenfinches past myself!
    Damn cat ~;0D
    ziggy
    No I wouldn't even consider taking the back off either monitor or
    tower! Like my car, basic maintenance is more than enough for me.

    ziggy, Sep 26, 2004
  13. ziggy

    PC Guest

    "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    > Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the monitor
    > or the cat!
    > Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    > minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    > sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    > shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    > already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might be I
    > could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    > but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.
    >
    > ziggy

    Ziggy

    Sounds like components internal to the monitor have drifted out of spec
    causing the line scan to try running at the wrong speed. The sync circuits
    will be keeping it in tune but in doing so the line circuits will be drawing
    more average current than they are designed to. As with most things
    electronic once more current is drawn things heat up causing more current

    Start looking at that new monitor 'now' as once the sync circuits fail to
    hold the line oscilator in tune it will only last a few seconds and the the
    'force' will no longer be with you.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Sep 26, 2004
  14. ziggy

    Sano Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:07:25 GMT, grayghost wrote:

    > ziggy <> wrote in news:Xns9570D5FE51EF1169495@
    > 130.133.1.4:
    >
    >> Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the monitor
    >> or the cat!
    >> Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >> minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >> sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >> shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >> already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might be I
    >> could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image quality
    >> but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to occur again.
    >>
    >> ziggy

    > Ziggy,
    >
    > Perhaps some information on the age of the monitor, the type of monitor,
    > etc... that usually helps :)
    >
    > I had something similar in a Trinitron monitor I had... started happening a
    > couple weeks before it died :-(

    Trinitrons are warrantied for three years grayghost.

    Sano, Sep 27, 2004
  15. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    "PC" <> Only went and said

    > "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    >> Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the
    >> monitor or the cat!
    >> Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >> minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >> sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >> shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >> already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might
    >> be I could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image
    >> quality but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to
    >> occur again.
    >>
    >> ziggy

    > Ziggy
    >
    > Sounds like components internal to the monitor have drifted out of
    > spec causing the line scan to try running at the wrong speed. The
    > sync circuits will be keeping it in tune but in doing so the line
    > circuits will be drawing more average current than they are
    > designed to. As with most things electronic once more current is
    > drawn things heat up causing more current .....
    >
    > Start looking at that new monitor 'now' as once the sync circuits
    > fail to hold the line oscilator in tune it will only last a few
    > seconds and the the 'force' will no longer be with you.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Thanks Paul, I am just about to order one! I've had to cut my cloth
    to suit the ol' purse so it won't be the one I've been dreaming of, a
    Flat panel this time ~;0( It won't cheep but it will be cheaper lol

    ziggy

    ziggy, Sep 27, 2004
  16. ziggy

    grayghost Guest

    Sano <> wrote in news::

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:07:25 GMT, grayghost wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Ziggy,
    >>
    >> Perhaps some information on the age of the monitor, the type of
    >> monitor, etc... that usually helps :)
    >>
    >> I had something similar in a Trinitron monitor I had... started
    >> happening a couple weeks before it died :-(

    > Trinitrons are warrantied for three years grayghost.

    Sano, actually it wasn't a Sony Trinitron, it was made by a third party :-
    \ So I checked and I never could find what their warranty policy was.
    Alas, it's been more than three years and the monitor is definitely gone
    now :-(

    Thanks for the information though.

    -gg-

    grayghost, Sep 27, 2004
  17. ziggy

    Sano Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:23:57 GMT, grayghost wrote:

    >> Trinitrons are warrantied for three years grayghost.

    > Sano, actually it wasn't a Sony Trinitron, it was made by a third party :-
    > \ So I checked and I never could find what their warranty policy was.
    > Alas, it's been more than three years and the monitor is definitely gone
    > now :-(
    >
    > Thanks for the information though.

    Ahh. Sony is halfway decent w/ their warranties, at least the once I needed
    a replacement.

    Sano, Sep 27, 2004
  18. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    "PC" <> Only went and said

    > "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    >> Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the
    >> monitor or the cat!
    >> Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >> minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >> sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >> shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >> already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might
    >> be I could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image
    >> quality but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to
    >> occur again.
    >>
    >> ziggy

    > Ziggy
    >
    > Sounds like components internal to the monitor have drifted out of
    > spec causing the line scan to try running at the wrong speed. The
    > sync circuits will be keeping it in tune but in doing so the line
    > circuits will be drawing more average current than they are
    > designed to. As with most things electronic once more current is
    > drawn things heat up causing more current .....
    >
    > Start looking at that new monitor 'now' as once the sync circuits
    > fail to hold the line oscilator in tune it will only last a few
    > seconds and the the 'force' will no longer be with you.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Normally I wouldn't own up to being such a clutz but it's so funny I
    just have to! You know I said in my initial post that the cheep
    sound was definetly not bird related........Well it bloody well is!
    I have a Cuckoo clock, unwound for years, hanging on the wall behind
    the PC and the kids threw a load of their gear down on the floor
    beneath it, piles way up the wall.....Well one box has caught the
    chain you rewind the damn thing with and as it's stuck on 12 there's
    just enough oomph there to jam the little blighter before he comes
    out roflmao Now how soddin' unlikely is that eh? I even ordered the
    new monitor but luckily enough after sticking my ear to every
    available surface for half the night I managed to locate the noise
    this morning and cancelled it first thing...........I'm still
    chuckling but very relieved as I'm absolutely stoney at the moment
    and that was the last thing I needed. So hands up I'm an eeeejit but
    I think I should be let off on grounds of totally ridiculous cause
    eh?

    Sorry to have wasted your time.......~;0D

    ziggy

    ziggy, Sep 27, 2004
  19. ziggy

    Sano Guest

    On 27 Sep 2004 17:53:49 GMT, ziggy wrote:

    > "PC" <> Only went and said
    >

    >> "ziggy" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > Normally I wouldn't own up to being such a clutz but it's so funny I
    > just have to! You know I said in my initial post that the cheep
    > sound was definetly not bird related........Well it bloody well is!
    > I have a Cuckoo clock, unwound for years, hanging on the wall behind
    > the PC and the kids threw a load of their gear down on the floor
    > beneath it, piles way up the wall.....Well one box has caught the
    > chain you rewind the damn thing with and as it's stuck on 12 there's
    > just enough oomph there to jam the little blighter before he comes
    > out roflmao Now how soddin' unlikely is that eh? I even ordered the
    > new monitor but luckily enough after sticking my ear to every
    > available surface for half the night I managed to locate the noise
    > this morning and cancelled it first thing...........I'm still
    > chuckling but very relieved as I'm absolutely stoney at the moment
    > and that was the last thing I needed. So hands up I'm an eeeejit but
    > I think I should be let off on grounds of totally ridiculous cause
    > eh?
    >
    > Sorry to have wasted your time.......~;0D

    Sh00t!! good story. <G>

    Sano, Sep 27, 2004
  20. ziggy

    PC Guest

    "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    > "PC" <> Only went and said
    >

    >> "ziggy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Before you start there is not a greenfinch stuck in either the
    >>> monitor or the cat!
    >>> Seriously though, every so often, say 3 minutes at it's worse, 15
    >>> minutes at it's best and sometimes longer, I get this short cheep
    >>> sound. It's not a warning beep, like the sound a bird makes but
    >>> shorter, it seem to be coming from the monitor. Any ideas? I've
    >>> already started pricing a new monitor but if I knew what it might
    >>> be I could get it fixed perhaps. There's no degredation in image
    >>> quality but it's putting my nerves on edge waiting for it to
    >>> occur again.
    >>>
    >>> ziggy

    >> Ziggy
    >>
    >> Sounds like components internal to the monitor have drifted out of
    >> spec causing the line scan to try running at the wrong speed. The
    >> sync circuits will be keeping it in tune but in doing so the line
    >> circuits will be drawing more average current than they are
    >> designed to. As with most things electronic once more current is
    >> drawn things heat up causing more current .....
    >>
    >> Start looking at that new monitor 'now' as once the sync circuits
    >> fail to hold the line oscilator in tune it will only last a few
    >> seconds and the the 'force' will no longer be with you.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > Normally I wouldn't own up to being such a clutz but it's so funny I
    > just have to! You know I said in my initial post that the cheep
    > sound was definetly not bird related........Well it bloody well is!
    > I have a Cuckoo clock, unwound for years, hanging on the wall behind
    > the PC and the kids threw a load of their gear down on the floor
    > beneath it, piles way up the wall.....Well one box has caught the
    > chain you rewind the damn thing with and as it's stuck on 12 there's
    > just enough oomph there to jam the little blighter before he comes
    > out roflmao Now how soddin' unlikely is that eh? I even ordered the
    > new monitor but luckily enough after sticking my ear to every
    > available surface for half the night I managed to locate the noise
    > this morning and cancelled it first thing...........I'm still
    > chuckling but very relieved as I'm absolutely stoney at the moment
    > and that was the last thing I needed. So hands up I'm an eeeejit but
    > I think I should be let off on grounds of totally ridiculous cause
    > eh?
    >
    > Sorry to have wasted your time.......~;0D
    >
    > ziggy

    Well I gotta laugh at that one.
    Good of you to 'own up'
    I take it the kids gear has now 'gone'